Search

Costa Rica Self-Drive Itinerary Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
lsp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Self-Drive Itinerary Advice Please

We are planning a trip in early Januray. I would appreciate any opionions on this self-drive itinerary. Is this way too much driving for the given amount of time? Would we be better to skip Tambor and fly direct to Quepos or would we be missing too much along the way?
Arrive San Jose - stay overnight
Drive to Arenal - stay 2 nights
Drive to Tamarindo - Stay 3 nights
Drive to Tambor - Stay 2 nights
Drive to Manuel Antonio w/ overnight stop along the way - 3 nights (total)
Drive to San Jose
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I do think you are trying to do too much for that short a time. I would skip Tambor. The only problem with flying is that you would have to fly or drive to San Jose and then on to Quepos. I contacted them (Sansa)myself a couple of months ago to find out if I could fly directly to Quepos from Tamarindo and was told no. It could be done by private charter but you are talking at least $800. If you are going to drive from Tamarindo to San Jose to catch a flight you might as well just swing down the coast road to Manuel Antonio instead. It will take quite a few hours either way. An extra day in Manuel Antonio will be easy to fill because there are lots of things to do there.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Iza

I agree with Suzie that you would be trying to do too much. Take the 2 nights you were planning to spend in Tambor and add them to Manuel Antonio or 1 night each to Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio.
It will be a long drive from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio (probably about 7 hours) but you will have a longer time to recover from it too if you extend your time in Manuel Antonio to 4 or 5 nights.
Have a great trip.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:49 AM
lsp
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie and Iza! I really appreciate your input and will follow your advice. Actually, it got me to thinking of maybe doing the following instead:
Arrive in SJ and fly direct to Tamarindo for a few days of R&R, then drive to Arenal and work our way driving down to Manuel Antonio with a stop along the way to visit Carara Reserve. Thoughts? Thanks again for your valued input.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Iza

Isp, that's not a bad plan although the drive from Arenal to MA will be just as long as the drive from Tamarindo to MA. Stopping at Carara - do you mean overnight at Jaco or Punta Leona area? Basically, you would need to drive to Arenal (3-4 hours) then to MA (7 hours? - split over 2 days) and then back to SJ (3-4 hours). This sounds like a good plan.
Another option would be to fly to MA first, stay 4 nights and then fly back to SJ and take a car from there to Arenal (3-4 hours), then to Tamarindo (4 hours) and then back to SJ (5 hours). I guess if you add the driving times it is about the same as your option but seems to be spread out more evenly that way.
I think either plan will work fine. Don't forget that you may need to spend last night in SJ area as well because of flight times.