Puerto Jiminez/ golfo Dulce /Oso area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! We had our hearts set on Bosque Del Cabo. But, after considering the total cost- including getting there- I just don't think our budget can quite handle it. BdC's main appeal for us is the wildlife. Are there any good second choices down that way? I can't do anything terribly rustic because I'm traveling with my mother. But, fancy isn't a requirement either. Scenic, clean, and, with reasonable access would be great. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Would you consider renting a place? Casa Bambu has always had great reviews. Right at the base of Cabo Matapalo where Bosque is, there is plenty of wildlife.

You can make arrangements to eat at Lapa Rios, Bosque del Cabo, Martinas, a local cook, or they will help you with a grocery list because the grocery is a long way from the house. Everyone that has mentioned staying there has been very happy.

http://www.casabambu-beach-house-rentals.com/
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM

I stayed at Villa Corcovado, it was an amazing experience, the most beautiful place I stayed in CR
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Unfortunately, most of the places in that area are very expensive. They're wonderful -- but expensive, as supplies have to be brought in by boat. One time I stayed in Dominical and took a day trip to Osa/Corcovado Park. It was very enjoyable and much more affordable. Check out Cuna del Angel or Roca Verde for lodging, and you can make arrangements through Southern Expeditions (I THINK that's the name of the main tour operator in Dominical) for a really nice day trip.

Sandy
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM

We envied the people staying at Casa Bambu when we hiked by on the way to the beach. There were a bunch of surfers staying in homes and inns on that road. It is at the bottom of the hill and you would be going uphill to hike. We split our stay on the Osa between Lookout Inn and BDC, and we actually thought the food was a little better at Lookout Inn. The rooms in the Inn are very comfortable and nice. The are less trails on the property, but its right at the entrance to the park and there is a great local guide.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Casa Bambu is a pretty reasonable place to stay at $155 per night for 2 people.

Stuff is brought there by car rather than boat. The shore is pretty rocky in some places so boats are not brought into shore.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I was in Costa Rica some time ago, and I was in a very nice hotel named Crisal Ballena, near Uvita, near Dominical! It is situated on a little hill, in the back there is the jungle where you can find all wildlife you want, and to the front you have got a fantastic ocean view!!!!!
The hotel is very nice, well cleaned and they serve fantastic food!!
You can do a lot of tours, to get in touch with the wildlife and all those special animals of Costa Rica!!!

Have fun!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

As we say here in the south(USA)...you all are the BEST! Thanks so much for such great tips. I'm going to check out every one. As it turns out though, if there's "room at the inn", we may take out a small loan and just go for it. BdC was our first choice. And, traveling with my 86 year young mom, who knows? This could be our ONLY chance. Still, it will be good to have a backup plan. So, thanks again!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Bosque del Cabo is well worth it. Even paying off the loan won't hurt as much when you have such great memories LOL. It will be a perfect place for your mom with nicely planted areas to walk around in and all the birds and monkeys that fly/swing in. You could just sit at the pool the whole time and see a ton of stuff.