Search

Mexico - Where to go

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico - Where to go

We are a family of four trying to celibrate graduation of two children in May. One from a university and the other from a law school. It probably is the last vacation as a family as they will start pursuing their career and move away. We've been to many destinations in the U.S, and Europe, but in Mexico, we've been to only Cancun, Mexico City, and Acapulco. As a family with young adults, we want to explore some historical sites in addition to enjoying the beaches and some night spots in order to make it interesting to everyone. Any recommendatioins for ten days in the middle of May in Mexico or even surrounding countries? This time we do not want heavy exploration as we did while we were in Europe. On the other hand, we don't want to lay on the beach everyday. Maybe Mexico is not the best choice?

tom
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Can't help with Mexico but Belize is an awesome destination. We visited for nearly a month in 2003 when our kids were 17, 18, and 20. With 10 days you could split your time between inland and island adventures, maybe 3-4 nights in the San Ignacio area (hiking, caving, villages, ruins) with a side trip into Guatemala for an overnighter to Tikal - highly recommended. The rest could be on Ambergris Caye which would provide a bit of nightlife, snorkeling and diving trips, and beach time. If you're interested, you could also spend a few nights at Caves Branch which is a jungle lodge with amazing caving and rapelling adventures. Here's a link to our travelogue which will also hook you up to the Belize Forum if you're interested. Congratulations to your kids and have a great trip, whatever you decide!

http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/u...;f=10;t=000362

(If the link doesn't work you can go to www.belizeforum.com and search the travelogue section for "holeman" or let me know and I'll email the link.)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Pausanias

Belize is a nice idea as outlined above.

If you want to return to Mexico, you might consider Oaxaca City to begin. It's a beautiful colonial city with a tranquil atmosphere. Street life around the Zocalo keeps it interesting. There are many young people so I suppose nightlife wouldn't be a problem. You can visit the ruins of Monte Alban and Mitla as well as indigenous villages.

For the beach you can fly to Huatulco on the Pacific coast for a few days. This is a relatively new resort with retrictions on building size and density. They are hoping to avoid the overbuilt Cancun style development.

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:49 AM

We are actually on our way to Oaxaca and Huatulco in a couple of weeks with our teens. We have been to Belize with them and it was great (we actually took their grandparents with us as well). Not to advertise, but we used Barbara Kasak (www.barbsbelize.com) who was extremely helpful in putting the trip together. We stayed in a jungle lodge for a few nights, went on a day trip to Tikal and then flew to Ambergris Key. Highly recommend it.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the 'problem' is wanting some beach time but historical sites as well. Any of the colonial cities could be of interest, but they are inland. So many a combination like Oaxaca and Huatulco as mentioned, or Guadalahara with Puerto Vallarta might work?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

South of Cancun on the Mayan Riviera - there's so much to do! Many hotels to choose from, great location. We stayed for 10 days and went to Tulum, Chichen-Itza, Cozumel, Aktun Chen, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Paamul. There's really something for everyone. E-mail me if you'd like to see pics!
[email protected]
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Postpone until June and visit any/all of the Colonial treasures: Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Queretaro (Dolores Hidalgo, Sta. Rosa if you are ceramic buyers and Atotonilco), Zacatecas, Morelia, Puebla, San Luis Potosi, (and maybe Guadalajara).
M
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Hi tom -

With 10 days, you can split the vacation in half and go to both a charming colonial town and a fun beach resort.

I just got back from such a trip - I spent 3 days in Oaxaca (not enough time, btw), and then flew Mexicana from OAX to Puerto Vallarta, via Mexico City. The flights took a total of less than 4 hours, including layover. You could choose an almost infinite combination of colonial towns and beach towns to go to by just splitting the trip.

You will find lots of people on this site who RAVE about both Oaxaca and Puerto Vallarta. They are right.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Because we don't know the extent of the damage in Cozumel, Cancun and Isla Mujeres due to hurricanes, Puerto Vallarta probably is a better choice for your timing. From PV you can take a unique excursion to Yelapa for a couple of nights. There are many fun trips, i.e. canopy tours, Las Caletas snorkeling, ATV's that will keep you busy. Plus, just exploring old Town and Centro Puerto Vallarta is worthwhile. I am partial to PV. However, Javelina's suggestions are also great if you want to explore the ruins. The Tulum beaches are pristine so you get a bit of history and super beaches. Best to rent a car if you take the Chichen Itza/Tulum route.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the vote for the Riviera Maya. The hurricane damage was not bad there and it has been back up and running for quite some time. We were at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar this past Christmas and it was wonderful. Plenty of activities right at the resort. They have a free shuttle into Playa Del Carmen and there are a lot of opportunities to plan visits to the ruins and eco-parks.