5 days in central america - belize ?

Old Mar 10th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in central america - belize ?

I'm looking to do a 5 day, 4 night trip for my boyfriend's birthday in june and was looking at Belize as a nice option in Central America. It seems fairly doable to get lodging & airfare for around $1,000 total and then plan to spend $500 max while we're there on food & any excursions. I would love to do at least one day exploring the rainforest or mayan ruins with the rest of the time in a relaxing beach area that has lots of dining options. Laying on the beach for 5 days is too uneventful for my bf so I want to make sure there's enough options for activities but still relaxing. With so much to do throughout the country, do you think a 5 day trip will be enough time? What would you suggest as the best town to stay in to maximize our exploring time? any other central american or caribbean places to suggest for a trip of this length on the cheaper side? I've been to costa rica and loved it but want to go somewhere else that both of us have never been. Thanks!!
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 09:39 PM

I'd arrange more time if you possibly can because - as you've noted - there's a lot to see and do. If you continue with your plan to spend just 4 nights (which to me = 3 full days), I'd choose either Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye and do a day trip up the New River to the Lamanai Maya site - nice jungle fix (crocs and monkeys!) and a lovely site.

If you could get more time - at least 6 or 7 nights - I'd suggest splitting your time with 3 nights in the San Ignacio area, either in town or in a jungly place, then the rest on Caulker or Ambergris (we prefer Caulker). In addition to Maya sites there are some awesome caving options.
Most popular cave trip, really awesome: http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/
Another, less-visited amazing cave option in Cayo: http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 02:57 AM

4 nights? Look at Hopkins and Placencia, coastal villages offering beach and bush from one location
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's an awful long way to go for such a short trip.

Any interest in Mexico?
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far, all! Maybe since I do only have 5 days total, I should just save Belize for another time. I'm just really eager to go!

I am interested in visiting Mexico at some point too, but flights from NY to cancun were actually coming out to more expensive and/or the same amount of travel time as belize!

Maybe I should look into another caribbean island for this short trip instead. I've been to the bahamas once and wasn't impressed, haven't heard great things about jamaica or DR. It just sounds like they don't have as much culture as Central America, even though they're also beautiful!