Search

lost camera in manuel antonio - reward

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost camera in manuel antonio - reward

Hola and hello

Me and my girlfriend just returned from an amazing trip to Manuel Antonio Costa Rica. Everything went perfectly except....

We were walking home from El Avion for dinner and my girlfriend broke her shoe on a rock and wiped out and skinned her knee. I was carrying my digital camera. We stopped at the souvenir shop next to Si Como No to use the Internet, and then we taxied back to our hotel, Mango Moon, up by La Mariposa.

Somewhere in the confusion, I lost the camera. With ALL our pictures of our trip.

Now I know it was careless, and I know its probably gone forever; however I am making a plea. Whether a local cabbie has it, or a tourist grabbed it from the Internet cafe, I am offering a $250 US reward for its safe return, no questions asked. Even if the camera cant be sent, the CF card (memory) with all our pictures will also be fully rewarded. If you speak Spanish and want to put the word out amongst the cabs, I will be eternally grateful. The taxi was a Jeep Cherokee-esque 4x4 and was the red cab company. The incident occured Sunday January 8th at around 7 pm.

The camera was a Canon PowerShot A520. It was in a Lowepro case with a strap. There was at least 60 pictures on it, of me and my girl, of MA park, sloths, monkeys, sunsets, lizards.

This is a long shot I know; however stranger things have happened. It was a careless move; I should have switched mem cards halfway thru the trip. Now we have no record of our memories...

Please email me at [email protected] if you have any info.

Regards,

Dave
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Oh what a bummer!! One time I left my camera in the limo on the way home from a cruise, but I was lucky enough to get it back after a couple of days. Hopefully you'll hear some good news soon!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I know your pain. On my 4th day of my vacation in CR, I was in a bad traffic accident which resulted in my camera falling into the river. I was able to save the photos already taken, but my camera was toast. For three weeks, I had no camera.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Sorry about your camera.It would be awesome if by chance you got your pictures back! We are looking into booking a few nights at Mango Moon. How was it? How many nights would you suggest for hanging out in Manuel Antonio?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
flamesfan

Rusty,

Mango Moon is a fine B and B with uncommon ambience. Most of the rooms have a wonderful view from a common veranda which overlooks a small plunge pool, for cooling off of course. There is an interesting "happy hour", that takes place to honour guests on their final evening. Carlo, the colorful bartender, a runaway from Belgium, would whip up an interesting appetizer or dessert or cocktail to share as the sun was setting. There are always beautiful flower arrangements and the breakfast is always fresh, coffee delicious.

I was there last April with my teenage daughter and while there were lots of couples, there were also a few families and we all felt welcome. Jeff, the American owner is extremely chatty and helpful in organizing cars, tours etc.

The disadvantage to Mango Moon for some people might be that it is quite far back from the main road that leads to restaurants and Manual Antonio Park. If you know the road between Quepos and MA, then imagine the very top near the ATM, but down a secondary road, paved, but not lit and not often travelled, I'm guessing about half a kilometer? We did not have a car and we would do this walk to the main road sometimes sevral times a day. We found a lot of our adventure "walking" for meals in the day , in the dark, never felt afraid or uncomfortable. W Sometimes we would even walk down the "big" hill to the beach, but we are in good physical shape and I might not recommend it to some people. Some people on the forum might consider this crazy, but we saw so much more, noticed things when we walked that we might have otherwise missed. If you don't walk then the other choice would be take a taxi, or to get a car, even take the cheap bus down the hill and back , though there is still the distance back to the inn.

How long to stay? We stayed 5 nights -my daughter would have stayed forever. I enjoyed the park for how close you can get to the animals, the pretty, but tiny, beaches inside the park but found myself nervous at the main beach after I was towed out in a rip tide. MA is a "small" park - you can walk across it in a couple of hours, if you're trudging and noticing everything. I was surprised at the width of the path which is more like a road in many places.

The fun of staying near MA, for us, was getting around, eating at Anaconda Restaurant and hanging out at Mango Moon.

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks flamesfan for the info about Mango Moon. We ended up spending 3 nights at Mango moon and loved it. We saw more wild life from the porch during breakfast, then we did at the park. Every morning around 6 am the Capuchin white faced Monkeys put on an amazing show. 20 or so of them would swing and jump right in front of us for at least an hour. We also saw a mother Slouth and her small baby fight off the monkeys. Truly amazing. We would highly reccomend Mango Moon. A bit on the high side, but Manuel Antonio is a bit more expensive than other parts of Costa Rica anyways. Mango Moon has a great breakfast, beautiful flowers and atmosphere and very helpful staff. Rooms were nice.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM
flamesfan

Glad you enjoyed Mango Moon...karma to see your post today as I have just emailed them for another request for accomodation. Like you said the location, flowers and atmosphere are very relaxing, worth the extra charges...was Carlo still there?

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM

If mI were you I would e-mail anyone and everyone in Manual Antonio and ask them to post your lost camera and ask them where the taxi drivers eat because chances are someone is holding it. 2 years ago I put my brand new Nikon down on the beach in Tambor to rescue some sand dollars and the next thing i know there was a wave that went way up the beach and you know the rest of the story - it is such a sickening feeling! I also fell down a hill in MA and still have some fragments floating around in my arm! I love Costa Rica and we cannot wait to return