Manual antonio or not

Mar 1st, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Manual antonio or not

We are planning trip to Costa rica. Will spend several days outside of san jose taking day trip in the area. then a few days at Villa caletas doing a few trips from there.

Is it worth it to take a day trip down to Manual antonio? what would we see that we haven't already seen elsewhere. (Not crazy about extreme heat or bad roads, beach, night life not an issue for us).
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Iza

Do take a day trip to MA and get a guided tour of the national park - it was a highlight for us. The guide we had pointed a lot of animals and insects that we would never notice on our own and explained things. The beach inside the park is also very nice - one of the prettiest in CR. The roads from Villa Caletas to MA should be in decent shape.

What other day trips have you planned?
Mar 1st, 2004, 11:49 AM

We stayed at Villa Caletas in 2001. Make sure they aren't under construction or don't have a big group staying with them when you go. We were so upset to be staying at one of the nicest hotels in the entire country, only to find out our room had just been built and it still didn't have most of the amenities we paid for, nor did the balcony door even open due to a faulty lock. In addition, a big group was there hogging up the informal dining room so we had to use the formal restaurant (and weren't quite prepared for that due to our wardrobes as well as our pocket books).

That aside, we booked a great day trip from the hotel to Manuel Antonio. It is a good place to see monkeys and sloths. We saw a momma White-faces Capuchin Monkey with a baby on her back. So precious! The road is not bad at all and getting there is half the fun as it is quite scenic. I would, however, recommend going as early in the day as possible. Otherwise you will share the paths with many other humans.

I also highly suggest Carara if you are into hiking and especially birds. We got to see Scarlet Macaws flying overhead and nesting, and it was a life-changing experience to see these magnificent birds so close up and wild, outside of a cage.

You will have a wonderful time. I cannot wait to go back to Costa Rica!
Mar 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

yes we are planning to go to carrara. did you have control as to how early the trip to manuel antonio left? how long is the ride? when (what month) were you at the hotel?
thanks
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:59 AM

I was there in March. It was dry season so it was not overly humid. We did not see any rain our entire trip. It did tend to get hot later in the day, however, so we planned our big hikes early in the morning, got back to the hotel around noon and then just took it easy by the pool (VC has a great vanishing pool, and at the time, had a toucan nesting in the tree next to it. What a bonus!) Yes we did have some say on when the excursions took place because all of the trips turned out being private. Just my husband, myself and the guide. It was wonderful! The ride to MA was about 1.5 hrs from VC and the guide points out a lot of interesting stuff along the way. I learned a lot about the country and its flora/fauna on that day. I can't recall the name of the tour company but I booked it through the hotel itself and the guide's name was "Princess". I remember her making a joke that she was a Princess without a Prince or something like that!

Enjoy Costa Rica. Every time we go to Central America we can't help but measure everything else against the time we spent there and so far, it is the winner.

Joni