Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Late July Beach Vacation - Mexico or Gulf Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to take my family of four (kids 12 & 15) to the beach for a long-overdue vacation. I've been out of work the last three years so we haven't had the money to do anything extra.

I have enough airline miles to get us where we need to go. We will be departing from the Dallas area and really don't want to spend all day flying somewhere. My wishes for a perfect trip:

A condo, house or hotel that had two bedrooms to separate the parents from the kids. I'd rather not get two hotel rooms unless necessary. A pool is nice when the water is rough or when we just want to relax.

A great beach with water we can play in. We've had two bad experiences with Destin and Gulf Shores due to riptides, rough water and jellyfish. I realize that we probably just had bad luck but we would really love to be less tense regarding the safety of our kids.

Sightseeing is not a big requirement. We would rather hang out at the beach and then go out to dinner so that we can maximize the time we spend with each other. It's been a hard few years and we need to experience some good times together.

Accommodations wise, cleanliness, safety and AC are a must. I'm not looking for someplace cheap but not the Ritz Carlton either. Where we stay is not as important as trying to get a handle on where to go at this point.

I realize that late July is not ideal but that is our only option. It will probably be 100 degrees (or more) in Dallas that time of year and hopefully our vacation spot will be at least 10 degrees cooler. More is better.

Thank you in advance for any direction that you can give me.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

well, IMHO, Mexico would be fabulous! There are so many options for you! The beach in Cancun is gorgeous, absolutely unbeatable, tons of nice hotels --
& Playa del Carmen has quite a few condo options -- check out villassacbe.com -- a nice place, or maybe playa-maya.com, a small hotel right on the beach in Playa.

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

Look into a timeshare rental at the five Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico. As frankie said the beaches there are among the world's best and the Royals' pools are fabulous. The 1300 sq ft villas include 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full American kitchen, living room and dining room. You can eat in or eat out at Cancun's (and the Royal Resorts) many restaurants. We are timeshare owners so admittedly we are biased, but they are consistently rated 5 star by others. The villas work very well with families.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:58 AM

Gibbster -

I wouldn't waste my time going to Destin anymore now that we go south of Cancun. You can get there in 2 1/2 hrs. The same money in Destin can get you a very nice place in Mexico where the water is calmer.

You can find many rentals on locogringo.com. Most of the villas are in Akumal. Be sure to check the aerial views, because some of the coast is rocky. But you can get a condo in Playacar where the coast is sandy. And some have pools.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. My wife likes the Cancun idea and I'm going to check-out the others you mention. Thanks again.