Search

Mexico vs. Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico vs. Caribbean

Looking for a vacation spot in May to celebrate anniversary. I am not familiar with Mexico...are there parts of Mexico where the water is crystal clear and calm like the caribbean? I've looked into Palmilla, Esperanza and Las Ventanas, but the water does not look very calm and enticing like the caribbean. Am I missing it?
Thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 11:18 AM

The western part of Mexico does not have the crystal blue water you will find on the eastern side. Try Playa del Carmen (the Riviera Maya area) where you will see miles of crystal blue water.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM

For the clear blue water and blinding white sand in Mexico, check out the whole area from Cancun south to Tulum, and Isla Mujeres. (It IS in the Caribbean.)

IM's Playa Norte is one of the most stunning beaches I've ever seen. Here is a pic from our last vacation there in May...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...85627948PKJqaI

There are many different places to choose from to stay, and just about every activity you can imagine.

Everything from little sleepy towns where they roll up the sidewalks (if there ARE any!) to the glitz and bustle of Cancun.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 05:43 PM

Diana,

Please tell me which resorts are the nicest one to stay in IM. We want a resort that is on the beach. Thank you.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 04:57 AM

We stay at Na Balam and Hotel Secreto.

The nicest (most $$$ also) is Villa Rolandi. It is on another part of the island away from town, so taxis or a rental car or golf cart would be necessary to spend much time off of the resort.

Steer clear of the Avalon unless you can stay in the Villas.

Hotel Media Luna is a good choice for less expensive on the beach. It is a cute little place on the same beach as Secreto. The beach there is not as nice as Playa Norte, but still very pretty, and Playa Norte is just a short walk away.

For on the beach, close to everything and very nice, I recommend Secreto.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 12:28 PM

Diana,
Thank you. I saw your picture and it looks awesome. Which resort/beach area was the picture taken? Thank you again. Is there a nice deluxe resort with air condition in Playa Norte?
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM

Diana,
Sorry more questions. I read that hotel Screto beach has too many fishing boats and all. Is that true? We want a nice resort with beatiful beach/if possible long beach. I thought about going to All Inclusive resort but not sure if we would like the food. If you have been to any of the AI resorts please give your opinion. Thank you.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM

Hi clear. The picture was taken in front of Na Balam on Playa Norte. I have been all over the Caribbean, and it is one of my top 3 favorite beaches.

Na Balam has A/C and is on the best part of the beach. The futons and umbrellas seen in the pic are free to guests or available to rent for non guests.

Secreto does not have any fishing boats (you may be thinking of Secrets in the Playa del Carmen area). It is not on the best beach, but it is a wonderful place.

Defintely do not go to an AI. There are so many wonderful places to eat on Isla Mujeres!

I think Na Balam would be the best choice for what you are looking for. It is not a luxury choice, but we have stayed at some 5 star resorts in the Caribbean (Cap Juluca, Four Seasons Nevis, etc.) and we are happy there.

It is a little funky, but in a good way!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
MLF

My husband and I stayed at Esperanza and the water was not very beachlike so you are correct on that one...last year we went to Maroma in Riviera Maya Mexico and it was a wonderful resort with beautiful beaches, clear blue water and you can snorkel and dive right from the resort since they are located on such a beautiful beach. We fell in love with Maroma and would go back there in a heartbeat.