La Paloma vs. Casa Corcovado

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:23 AM
leslie

La Paloma vs. Casa Corcovado

Which is the better lodge? Any comments appreciated. We cant decide where to stay on the Osa Peninsula.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Ally

No first hand knowledge, but here's what I've heard from a guy who's been to both:

Casa Corcovado: One of the better all around hotels. Good service, good food and a very pretty place. Rooms are confortable and the people who work there are pleasant. Great for families, couples or just a group of friends. Not the cheapest, but if you want a bit of luxury in the jungle you'll find it here (well, as much luxury you can find in the jungle anyway)

La Paloma: This is a find. A small hotel nestled quietly behind the Drake Bay Resort. A great spot for couples and honeymooners. The gardens around the hotel are great for morning or evening walks and the sunset views are spectacular. The rooms are very well done with mosquito netting and fans. The staff was excellent and spoke perfect English. Didn't have a chance to try the food but heard it's good and the hotel is priced right.

Hope this helps. Email me if you have any more questions about Costa Rica. I've been there 7 times.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Kathy

Dear Leslie,
Hi! We just got back from two weeks in Costa Rica. We stayed at the La Paloma Lodge and it was beautiful. The food was wonderful and the experience was great. I definitely recommend it!
Kathy

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:25 AM
leslie

thanks for the response. did you happen to stay in the bigger bungalows? apparently they can accomodate a party up to 6. i have heard mixed reports about the food at these lodges on the osa. was the food that good at the la paloma? and was there a beach near by?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Terri

Kathy,
I, too, wondered if you could elaborate on your experience at La Paloma. My son (age 18) and I have reservations for 3 nights at La Paloma next May. How was the weather and did it impact your ability to see Corcovado or Cano Island?
Thanks!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Kathy

Hi! I was traveling with my 15 year old daughter, this in itself impacts one's experience where they are. LaPaloma Lodge is quite isolated as were most of the places we stayed. Originally we were going to stay 4 nights until we arrived and I realized that would be too long. However, there was a young couple that stayed for six nights and were very happy. We were lucky with weather and only experienced some late afternoon rain. The food was always really good. Our room was completely open on one side to the rain forest/jungle and open to the rain forest and ocean view on the other side. We had mosquito/bug netting over our beds. Power was provided by generator and at least in our room we seemed to be without hot water. However, the weather is warm so it wasn't terrible. Because we were there during the "green" season there were not a lot of people and they seemed to stay within their own groups, there were no teenagers which was a bit isolating for my daughter. We went on an excursion to Corcovado with a guide and two young women. This was beautiful and we saw a lot of jungle, McCaws, Toucans, etc. However, I heard from two different guides that if we had gone on the slightly more expensive excursion to Serena which is deeper into the Corcovado National Park then we would have seen more. La Paloma was beautiful, I'm glad we went there and yet I do believe that these more remote locations are probably more fun for couples rather than a teenager with a parent. My daughter enjoyed Si Como No in Manuel Antonio probably the most on our trip because there were other teenagers, a beautiful pool, different movies at night, etc. That's not to say that she didn't enjoy kayaking at La Paloma, horsebackriding at Arenal, canal rides in Tortuguero, etc. It's just nice to have people one's own age around. Hope this helps.
Kathy

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Terri

Kathy,
Yes, traveling with teenagers is always an a challenge - especially off-season. Thanks so much for the great insights about La Paloma.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:08 AM
leslie

Kathy - was there a beach near by? and you didnt mention anything about the pool, dont they have one? we will also be travelling with two teenagers, one is 14 and the other 19, but i believe they will be fine with reading and entertaining each other, i hope that is. we were planning on staying 5 nights. is that too long?

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Lenny

5 nights seems too long. We were there for 3 nights and it was just fine
We liked La Paloma much better than more expensive Lapa Rios

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Kathy

Dear Leslie,
Hi! Yes there is a pool. However, it's hard to explain, but it's not necessarily a pool where you would spend a lot of time. There are beaches also. However, they too are not beaches like Hawaii or some place where I would spend much time. There are kayaks which we had fun using and then, of course, there are the excursions such as Cano Island. Reading, cards, things like that are a good idea for evening time. I think three nights would be fine. Keep in mind that the more time you are there is possibly less time somewhere else and there is so much to see. One thing we did not do which I regret is the overnight Pacuare river rafting. We heard so many enthusiastic reports about this. Planning is a big part of the trip. However, we made changes as we went along. Have fun!
Kathy