La Paloma or Casa Corcovado

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Paloma or Casa Corcovado

This is part two of the second message. If we go to La Paloma, which room should we request? Anyone stayed at both places and can tell us the pros and cons. It looks like CC is in the park but no ocean views. The cabinas look like they are all in the gardens.If we go to La Paloma are we going to see wildlife right on the grounds like at Bosque? I read rants and raves and was surprised to see a few negative reviews.Please hlep. Thanks
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Where did you end up staying? What did you think? Are you able to compare the two places?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Hi mtea, We ended up going to both Bosque del Cabo for a return visit and then getting a private driver to drive us to Drakes Bay where La paloma sent a boat for us. At La Paloma we had a standard room which had a lovely view but paper thin walls.You can hear literally everything in the room next door. We actually heard the man sneeze. However, it is a beautiful property with a very nice accessible beach, dining overlooking the water and probably the most professional service we have had in our four trips to Costa Rica. We took a Corcovado tour which was disappointing because we did not see much wildlife, in fact , we have seen more on the grounds at Bosque and a tour with Delphin Amor which was also disappointing because we did not go out very far and did not see large pods of dolphins, although we did see humpback whales and sailfish. At La Paloma they gave us a private table so we could eat by ourselves which was a treat after the group dining at Bosque. The grounds are gorgeous and we did see monkeys, a sloth and many scarlet macaws. We would return but we still like Bosque del Cabo better for the hiking and wildlife viewing. I am glad we went to La Paloma, though.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Karen, thanks for that. A few more questions if you don't mind. I'm leaning toward La Paloma. I've stayed at Lapa Rios in the past and am interested in staying in a different part of Osa. That said, I primarily visit Costa Rica for the wildlife, especially monkies and macaws. How much less wildlife did you experience at Paloma. How much wildlife is present just around the lodge area and your rancho? At Paloma, do you feel like your right in the heart of the rain forest? Also, could you shed more light on the differences in the levels of accomodations between the two lodges? Thanks much.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Hello mtea - I saw spider and capucin monkeys on the grounds of La Paloma. I also saw a few macaws and other colorful birds that I did not recognize.

I do not know much about the standard rooms - I stayed in a sunset rancho (stand alone bungalow with 2 levels). This I would highly recommend as it was perfectly quiet at night. As for feeling like you are in the rainforest, the grounds are certainly very lush. But, the ocean is just below you so you do not feel surrounded by the rainforest.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM

mtea, Hi. If you go to La Paloma I would advise getting a rancho. Although the room was large with a nice view it had little privacy due to the thin walls. We did see monkeys, a sloth, and many scarlet macaws on the grounds of LaPaloma, but the grounds are not as big as Bosque. You could always do both like we did. We only went to LaPaloma because Bosque was full but we always wanted to see the Drakes Bay area and it was different and beautiful in its own way. The drive from Bosque to La Paloma was not nearly as bad as we thought. It was a three hour drive arranged through Bosque with a driver they use and it cost one hundred dollars. There were not flights that time of year from Puerto Jimenez to Drakes Bay. The driver called La Paloma on a marine band radio when we were close and when he dropped us off at the beach the boat was on its way. It was a fun and adventurous journey. When we arrived at La Paloma Nicole had a delicious lunch ready for us, cold drinks, and arranged everything else for us. If you have been to Lapa Rios you might really enjoy something different. The food at both places is about the same,although when we were at Bosque Minnie Driver was there with a yoga group so a few nights we had really, really good meals. The chef gave me some special sugar to make the orange syrup they serve there. You do feel like you are in a lush place. The grounds are very pretty at La Paloma,though, and the views are probably just as good as at Bosque.