Search

June Itinerary Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June Itinerary Assistance

I welcome any comments or day trip ideas about our itinerary. We are looking for a place to stay close enough to San Jose (but nice) to catch a noon flight on the 14th.

June 3-6 Flamingo Marina Resort (Pacific) June 7-8 Hotel Los Lagos (Arenal) (we are thinking of a new place Lost Iguana?)
June 9-12 Treehouse (Punta Uva/Carribean)

We are using Interbus as transportation between places and not renting a car. I would greatly appreciate any tips, advice stories, etc. Thank You Very Much!

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 12:20 PM

We stayed @ Melia Cariari just a few minutes from the AP in San Jose after a wonderful small ship cruise.
It is not real CR and much like any US Conference hotel, but nice.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Dear harpercm,
I haven't been to all the places you want to go, but the combination looks good. The Caribbean side can be quite rainy during the rainy season (May-November), but as long as you know what to expect, you shouldn't be disappointed. The Pacific and the Atlantic side are very different, and it is definitely worth checking out both sides, especially if you are a beach person.
Regarding a hotel close to the airport - a noon flight really allows you to be in almost any hotel in the Central Valley, you don't have to be very very close to the airport. It all depends on your budget and what you are looking for. In terms of Interbus, you should check out where exactly they drop you off, or in which hotels, and consider staying your last night in one of these hotels. Otherwise, get off the Interbus as close as you can to your hotel of choice, and just take a cab or ask the hotel to pick you up. Again, there are many hotels to choose from, if you can tell us a little bit more about your likes and budget, I am sure we can help you.
Please feel free to write me directly with any more information or with any more questions.
Pura vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying to my post.

We will be traveling up from the Punta Uva area on the 13th via a service provided by the owner of the treehouse. I am sure they will drop us where ever we would like in or around San Jose. We have been told the drive from the treehouse to San Jose is about 4-5 hours and we will be leaving around 9:00a.m. putting us in San Jose at least by 2p.m. This would leave us quite some time to maybe shop or enjoy a new area and get a good night?s sleep.

Our budget is moderate less than $100, including the taxes would be preferable. I?ve read some things about a coffee plantation near San Jose you can stay on. A bed and breakfast would also be fine. My husband and I like to stray from the tourist path and really get into the local culture and interact with people.

Thank you again for all of your help,

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM

If you've never been to Alajuela and Heredia, they are very interesting larger towns near San Jose. Nice parks, interesting churches, and Heredia has a really cool central market. The Vida Tropical is a b&b in Alajuela for about $35 per night. Haven't stayed there, but have a couple of nights reserved there in June. This would also put you in the area to check out Sarchi and Zarcero, both interesting places. Lots of good shopping for native furniture and crafts at Sarchi.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:09 PM

harpercm,
In the Arenal area, I would recommend staying someplace else rather than the Lost Iguana. We stayed there earlier this month and there is a lot of construction and the place is just too new. Very muddy, lots of bugs, very little infrastructure yet. Maybe next year it will be good. They do have nice rooms. We moved over to Volcano Lodge after one night and thought that it was a much better place and far cheaper. Also the Lost Iguana is not on the right side to see the lava at night if you are lucky enough to have clear sky.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:41 AM

Like Shillmac, I have not yt stayed at Vida Tropical but have reservations for sevarl days in June. (We will stay there the day we arrive, two weeks later the day our travel companions arrive and again the night before we depart a month later. The owner, José, is responsive to emails and also owns Angel Valley Farm and Guesthouse if you REALLY want to spend your last night abit off the beaten path. W will be there a week (using it at a base while visiting old friends in the Central Valley.) BTW Shillmac, when will you be there? We'll be in CR June 8 - July 7th.
Buen viaje!

Julie, the tica traveler
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:34 AM

Tica Traveler (Julie?)
We will be in Costa Rica from June 21 until July 15. Spending the better part of the first week at Flamingo. June 27 at Vida Tropical, then off to points south (Savegre, San Vito, the Osa), back to Vida Tropical July 7. My husband is leaving the next day. I will stay until the 15th and travel with my daughter who will study Spanish there for a couple of months. I hope you have a great trip. I know you will enjoy visiting places you remember from the past and seeing how they have changed! Hopefully, for the best. . . .
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM

we were told about orquideas inn (www.orquideasinn.com) in Alajuela, near San Jose. They have been wonderful responding to emails, arranging a shuttle, etc. And am told they have a great breakfast. We're booked there in June.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM

So I've heard and read. Someday we'll stay there. We usually go on into the city and stay at the Hotel Don Carlos. Orquideas sounds wonderful!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:34 PM

shillmac,
sounds likenwe will be just barely missing one another at Vida Tropical. The kids and I will be there June 8th. We'll be there again June 21st when our friends arrive and again the 6th of July, for departure on the 7th, assuming we are pleased with it the first night. By then we'll be able to give a full report of the Angel Valley Farm and Guesthouse owned by the same people (although I really wish they wouldn't translate the name of La Valle Los Angeles...)
Did I tell you I found several old high school friends through the Costa Rican Verizon Yellow Pages and will be seeing them while in the area? I'm thrilled!
Be well and enjoy! BTW, where will your daughter study? I think we will stay a week or so at Montaña Linda in Orosí also.
God Bless!
Julie, aka tica traveler

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:21 PM

Yes, I will be sorry to miss you at Vida Tropical. It would be great to connect and visit with a Fodor Friend! I know you are going to have a great time--especially in the Orosi area. I love it there--very peaceful and beautiful. Jamie will be studying with CPI-5 weeks in San Joaquin de Flores (Heredia) and 3 weeks at Playa Flamingo. I did this for 3 weeks last summer and it was a fantastic experience. Still working on the Spanish. . .poco a poco! She is working on a minor in college and hoping to knock down 9 college hours of upper division Spanish through her study this summer. She has been to Costa Rica 4 or 5 times so I think she will be comfortable with her surroundings. The only down side is that I had planned to study again this summer, and finances (and a busy schedule) prevent that possibility. Oh well, there is always next year! Have a great trip. . and safe travels!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:27 AM

My wife and I spent 10 days in Costa Rica 2 years ago. We used an excellent private driver to show us around. These were his recommendations. In Arenal you should consider staying at Tabacon Resort. It is very close to Arenal and on the side where the caldera fell after the last eruption. The grounds are beatiful and the hots springs are great fun. Not all the rooms have the volcano view, so make sure you get one that does. While there make sure you visit the La Fortuna waterfall.
Sorry I have no recommendation about staying in San Jose. My wife works for Marriott so we stayed there. It IS close to the airport though
Like one poster mentioned the waterfalls and sanctuary at La Paz are beautiful.
We're going back this fall and plan on staying at the treehouse in Punta Uva. Let us know what you think. I highly recommend our driver/guide. The cost is a little on the high side, but well worth the money if you're not familiar with the country. National Geographic used him a few years ago for 2 weeks when they wanted to see the country. He knows all the locals, where to see the wildlife, where to eat/sleep..just everything. He's tireless, yet considerate and patient. If you like, I'll give you his contact information; just email me at [email protected] My wife also has a web site with lots of pictures from the trip, if you want to see.
Have a wonderful time! Costa Rica es pura vida!