Hotel Recommendations/Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally narrowed my 8 night/9 day trip to 3 nights in San Jose, then 4 nights in Quepos/Manuel Antonio and then 1 night back in San Jose to fly out in the morning. I've decided to do day trips from San Jose. Any good recommendations for a budget hotel with good location, clean, comfortable, own bathroom and around $50 to $70 USD? I prefer areas that are favorable to walking . Thanks to all...
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I think Pat Hewitt would be able to give you some great advice - he's done wonders with our November trip.
www.lovecostarica.com
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM

The Lonely Planet board has more backpackers who are familiar w/ low-cost lodging, so you might want to check there. What day trips do you plan to make from San Jose? There are some within one or two hours, but if you're going to spend a lot of time on the road, it may not be worth it. It's really not the nicest area to stay in -- are you sure you want to do that?

Sandy
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Wow- I just returned from 2 weeks in Costa Rica, one week with husband and son, another with my daughter who is a student this semester there.I would not spend one night in San Jose if I could avod it.It's not a good city- dangerous, definitely no walking at night.Check out going to the north, east or west of San Jose, up into cloud forest areas, there are tons of small reasonably priced accomodations, and the feel up there is fantastic. Take binoculars, you can't believe the birds and wildlife. That is the real Costa Rica. The country is tricky to get around in, so if you try to go in and out of San Jose you'll use up most of your time travelling. The roads are bad, and traffic around San Jose is gridlock.
If you can make it up to the Monteverde area, stay there, then go down to Quepos. Manuel Antonio area is terrific for wildlife, and lots of hotels around there, most of which will have sloths and monkeys right in the trees on th property. Don't stay in Quepos, it's a pit.
The hotel my daughter's class stays at in San Jose is called La Amistad, it's very reasonable ( $20 for a single), clean, old, but great breakfast included and within walking of certain stuff. There are a few restaurants in the area that are pretty good for dinner. But, all the students hate San Jose, nearly everyone we spoke to HAtes San Jose. Just never was built right.Get out of town! tha'ts my advice- get a travel guide and pick out some other spots. You can take buses, they take you everywhere, cheap, and faster than driving.Hire a driver, I hear that's resonable too.
good luck!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Our view of San Jose is that it isn't all THAT bad! It truly is good for a night, so that you can check out the Gold Museum and the National Theatre and Central Market the next morning. And, while it is true that you shouldn't be out and about (walking) at night, you would enjoy a taxi ride over to El Pueblo for dinner, drinks, a little shopping perhaps.

Traffic in and out of San Jose depends largely on the time of day as in any large city. It isn't so bad once you know your way around--and avoid rush hour! We drive in and through it every year more than once. But, if you don't have the experience, as puravidar said, it can be very confusing.

There are a couple of hotels very near the area of main attractions that are good. We like the Don Carlos, but Hotel Dunn is more reasonable. You should check it out--a good value. Also, our friends like Cinco Hormigas Rojas (5 Red Ants)--it, too, is a budget hotel. Also in that same area, we got a recent recommendation from a couple who do tours to Tortuguero for the Inca Real Hotel. Any of the above would suit your needs. At the Hotel Don Carlos, there is a tour desk and Juan Carlos can fix you up with anything you want to do. Also a great gift shop there. Even if you don't stay there, you could stop by and let him help you. He has arranged everything from tours to car rentals for us. Very nice guy. He set up a tour for me once when I was actually not in the city, but living with a family nearby and studying Spanish.

So, after all that rambling. . .I do think parts of San Jose you would enjoy checking out. But agree that 3 nights there is a bit too much--unless you have in mind doing day tours from there.

Just so you know, the airport is actually 12 miles west of San Jose, and you can do day trips from hotels in that area as well. A couple of recommendations: Hotel Villa Bonita and Las Orquideas Inn (who have Wady Tours to help you). Both places will help you arrange tours. You could even stay there and take a tour into San Jose for the morning! It might be more convenient actually than staying in San Jose, especially since the airport location will put you closer to Quepos/MA rather than taking you a few miles in the opposite direction like San Jose would. . .good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:07 AM

I agree with Shillmac's suggestions for lodging. Never tried the Villa Bonita, but it seems everyone has positive remarks. Orchideas I have stayed at and very much enjoyed the setting, excellent food and staff. We stayed in one of the rooms around $80 and was fine with it.

You can easily do a daytrip of the city if you want. But I would suggest Poas Volcano, La Paz, Pacuare Rafting, maybe the Los Angeles Cloud Forest area and the Cartago/Orosi Valley. If you are considering doing a daytrip to like the Arenal Volcano then stay in that area,a daytrip would be costly and too long for just a day.

Have you chosen a hotel in MA? If not you may want to take a look at Mono Azul.