Search

Bosque del Cabo or Arenal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosque del Cabo or Arenal

Hi all-
After reading all of the responses to people's questions on this board, I am questioning my itinerary!

We are trying to decide whether to head to Osa penisula (Bosque del Cabo) for half the trip and then to Puntarenas (Villa Caletas) for the remainder, and rent a car and do day trips from there. OR head up to Arenal and perhaps Monteverde and/or Puntarenas and skip Osa.

We will be in Costa Rica for 9 nights in July. We love to hike, explore and play in waterfalls. We like to walk on the beach and play in the water, but are not sit on the beach kind of people. While we enjoy wildlife, we are not enthusiasts and wouldn't normally bird watch or things like that. Finally, we like to rough it during the day and be a little pampered at night.

From reading others suggestions, there is so much to see and do, but we don't want to spend our entire vacation in a car.
Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Hi Melissa,
We are planning our first trip to the Osa (Bosque del Cabo)and we have visited Costa Rica 7 times previously. There is so much to do without the Osa that I don't think you will having any problem at all meeting your criteria in the areas you mentioned. A combination of Arenal (2 or 3 nights) and Manuel Antonio (or Villa Caletas with a day trip to MA) 3 nights, would suit you really well. That would leave you a 2-3 days to fill out your adventure. You could do Monteverde or La Paz Waterfall Gardens or the Rincon de la Vieja or even venture over to the Sarapiqui region. There is so much to do in all directions within a 25 mile radius of San Jose. July is a great time to visit, IMHO!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM

You can find plenty to do from Arenal like hiking, boat touring, waterfall etc. Plenty to do in the Manuel Antonio area also. If you are not really into the wildlife and constant hiking you might be better in those two places.

In the 12 years I have been going to Costa Rica (generally for 1 month each year) my husband and I have managed to never stay in the same hotel twice, thereby giving us the opportunity to see a lot more than a lot of people. Costa Rica has a lot of favorite places and it is easy to get into a rut. It also gives us the opportunity to take the time to learn a little more about each area rather than just pass through.

That said.....Bosque del Cabo is the one real exception to that rule. We have now made it a sure thing every year. Oh no the dreaded rut has gotten us too!!! Not really, we still have about 2 weeks to be adventurous and see new places. I usually have another 10 days to check places out after my husband leaves.
It is secluded but it is beautiful. There is a waterfall you can hike to and if Joel is around (he is a Greenpeace captain so is out on the Greenpeace boats periodically) he runs a waterfall rapelling tour from their lodge which is right next door to Bosque. You can go on kayak trips. Go fishing. Mostly it is nature. It is also my favorite place.
If you prefer to be around people a bit more and have choices for restaurants I do think you would be better off with the other two choices. The sunset viewing from Villa Caletas is a real experience and people go there just for that. I don't like to go into detail because it is really different and a real surprise.
You will be able to make your daily plans once you get down there. Most hotels have a person who can help you with the difference attractions in the area.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both very much for your responses!
Suzie- you certainly make Bosque sound like it is well worth the trip for us! On vacation, we don't like crowds, (which is why traveling in the green season appeals to us!) but do like to try local restaurants and such.

What do you think of this?

3 nights at Bosque
2 nights Arenal (fly back to SJO and rent a car)
3 nights Villa Caletas (or Manuel Antonio)
1 night La Paz

Does that seem like too much? Any suggesetions? Thank you very much in advance!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:51 AM

If you get the early flights I think you would do okay. It is slightly more running around than I would recommend for a short trip but it would certainly give you a good overview of the country. You have got a very good sampling of the many different areas that CR has to offer. I would try to fly Sansa if possible. Primarily because of their location. It would be much easier to drive to Arenal from there. Pavas airport (Tobias Bolano-Nature Air) is about 1/2hr closer to the city and away from Arenal thereby giving you more confusion, time and traffic for getting out of town. It is not an impossible 1/2 if you are comfortable driving in a strange country.
My only concern about your itinerary is the first day/night. Flights are limited to Puerto Jimenez unless you charter a private flight - big bucks. You may have to stay near the airport the first night depending on when you get in.
Peace Lodge is about 1hr from the international airport for planning puposes on your return home.