Ipanema plaza - best alternative ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having read lots of posts on this site, my husband and I decided on the Ipanema Plaza for our trip to Rio in July. We have emailed them twice to see if they do any special rates/packages (we'd be staying 6 nights)but have not had any reply. I know that we can just go ahead and book on their website but the fact that they can't be bothered to email back, even to say no, puts us off a bit. What would anyone on this site recommend ? This will be our first time in Rio and we are looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room with a balcony and good view (but the top of the range hotels are out of our price range). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Do not get discourage, Brasilian are wonderful but tooooo relaxed...that is a common complaint here, no answer back.
Get yourself a calling card (much cheaper) and call the hotel directly.
Brasil is wonderful and sure you will love it.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Gaynor,
we stayed at the Ipanema Plaza in August and I found the best rates on their corporate website www.goldentulip.com they we also nice enough to upgrade is to a much larger room when we arrived.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Peep

Try this website: http://ipanema.com/hotel/home.htm
I just booked 6 nights in March and they offered a much better rate than the hotel's website. They responded within a few days and just to be sure I called the hotel directly and everything is in order.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Yes i have seen ipanema.com sometimes give a better rate than the hotel itself.

Also keep in mind that the reservations people may be very busy right now as it is in the middle of the high season and Carnaval is coming up so they may not have time for your inquiries. Plus What is it that your asking? Because I believe July is a holiday month in Brazil and if your asking for a discount then it might be difficult for them to asses now the occupancy rate in July and might not want to be giving discounts out too early.

Also since the Ipanema Plaza is a good block from the beach then there are no ocean front rooms just some ocean view rooms which may be their premium rooms, take that into consideration when you book so that you are not disappointed when you arrive.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I stayed there last month (dec 2004). I would look elsewhere. After the stay I had and what I went through I would not wish that on anyone. See www.ipanemaplazahotel.net for the story. I gain nothing from the site, just want let people know. Most travel sites dont let you post negative reviews (travelocity, etc).

DaveW
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very useful information. Maybe I should wait until after Carnaval to make the booking. What would anyone suggest as an alternative to the Ipanema Plaza, taking into consideration that : "this will be our first time in Rio and we are looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room with a balcony and good view (but the top of the range hotels are out of our price range)" as I wrote in the original post? We are now considering the Praia Ipanema and various hotels in Copacabana. Beach front isn't necessarily essential (we won't spend much time on the bach) but we like to be able to sit on a balcony early morning and evening and soak up the scenery/atmosphere, so a view of something other than just another building or parking lot is important to us. Thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Gaynor, there is a hotel in Copacabana that is now part of the Othon chain, the reason I am going to mention it is because of your desire to have a balcony with a view. This hotel has very big open balconys in their ocean front rooms and it is on Ave. Atlantica. It is not a new hotel but it reminds me of the art deco hotels in south beach miami. It is in a good location on Copacabana right next door to the Marriott and many nice good cafes with nice patrons. The hotel is called The Hotel California. Check it out , it souldn't be too expensive maybe up to $100 a day for that front ocean front room with a big open balcony.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:08 AM

I just took a look at the Hotel California on this site and it looks pretty good:
http://www.venere.com/hotel/index.ph...&ref=27046
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Peep

Dave, that really sucks! I may reconsider staying there.

I originally picked Ipanema Plaza because of all the good reviews on fodors and recommendations to stay in Ipanema. A few people said Copacabana isn't safe after dark and full of hookers. Is that really the case? My requirements are about the same as Gaynor "This will be our first time in Rio and we are looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room with a balcony and good view (but the top of the range hotels are out of our price range)," and we want relatively safe and quiet.

Dondiega, I found some posts of yours from a few years ago saying Hotel California was in need of renovations. Is that still the case?

I would also appreciate advice and comments. I already have Ipanema Plaza booked but after reading about Dave's experience, I'm having second thoughts, although I'm afraid stuff like that could happen at any hotel.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Peep, I did say that the Hotel California is not new and I don't know if they did any renovations. It wouldn't be as nearly as new as the Ipanema Plaza but it would be clean and neat as the Othon chain is a decent chain in Brazil. The best thing about that hotel is its location and the balconies.

Mt question to Dave396 is how did someone get a hold of your backpack with all your valuables in it? Did they just come in to the room and take it behind your back or did you give them permission to take it downstairs for you? I never ever give my valuables to anyone and if some stranger is coming in to my room then I keep a close eye on all my valuables, trust no one.

Lets face it Copacabana is notorius for have ladies of the evening but the area around the California hotel does not, it is a very nice neighborhood near tree lined streets and safe too, just as safe as Ipanema and Leblon.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

I received a reply to my second email from the Ipanema Plaza yesterday - they quote the same as on their web site - maybe someone from the hotel read my original post ! Sorry that you had such a bad experience Dave.

Dondiego, thank you for going to the trouble to recommend the balconies/view at the Hotel California. I shall definitely check it out when I have more time at the weekend. In the meantime, could you comment on the Praia Ipanema which does seem to have balconies (since looking more closely at the Plaza, they do not appear to have them - maybe they are not a particular feature in Rio hotels). Also do you know anything about the Pestana Rio Atlantica ? Others that I'm now considering are the Excelsior Copacabana and the Debret. Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM

The Rio Atlantico is a newer nice hotel in a good spot. The Excellsior is also a new hotel, modern all glass, both good hotels.The Debret is an older hotel but has been renovated in recent years and has a suite on the top floor with the best view and a large balcony, this suite would be perfect for hanging out on your balcony and taking in this million dollar view plus they have a good breakfast and friendly staff. They sometimes offer packages on their website.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Gaynor
Stick with the Plaza if you can. Great hotel with service tent / awning on the beach with towels chairs loungers. Hotel guys look out for your stuff on the beach. Rooms are spotless & restaurant is good and it is a 1 min stroll to the beach. Great restaurants and bars on the doorstep. We had a great stay and have booked again for this year
Enjoy Rio, whatever choice you make
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:14 PM

To answer some questions that were asked related to my post:

1) an employee entered my room and stole the bag (one of 3 on the bed). It has to be the bell boy or someone he is in coordination with since he was only one to enter the room after I left (verified with key card reader info) and he only brought two of the bags down. Yes, stupid to leave so much in a bag, but I was just down stairs getting breakfast and checked out while down there. The staff was worthless with regard to helping me then and continues to be worthless.

2) Copacabana - after dark it can get less safe. I have never had trouble in the area after dark though at any time of the night. The outdoor cafe's/eateries are awesome for people watching and eating. Yes working girls are around, but if you don't call them over they are no bother. Sometimes it is fun to talk to the locals though.

3) Ipanema plaza - the quality of the rooms were average. DO NOT have them do any laundry ($)) for you! There are plenty of places to eat around this hotel, but watch out for sitting charges being tacked on and being charged for stuff you don't order that they place on your table without asking.

Regardless of where you end up you will have a great time. Rio is one of the best cities in the world.

DaveW
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Yes many restaurants in the area put on the table usually without asking "covert" this includes usually bread, salami, peppers and other types of little snacks/appertizers that you can have before your meal. It usually only costs a few dollars. Just keep a look out for it, if they are coming with a full spread to put on the table when you first sit down then take a look at it and if you don't like it tell them to take it back but most people like this to nibble on before their dinner arrives and most people enjoy bread with their meal which is part of the covert. I don't eat bread so most waiters that know me ask first if I want covert and I say no. But also on occasion they will not bring the covert and you may also see it on your check. Most restaurants include a 10% service charge on the check and it is customary to add the extra 5% if the service is good.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Dave396, yes now I see how this happened to you. You left your 3 bags on the bed in your room including the one with all of your valuable personal belongings, you went downstarirs to check out and told them to go and get your bags. This gave them permission to enter your room while you were having breakfast. The bell hop who is probably making about $200 - $300 a month couldn't resist the bounty that was in front of him and he went for it but it is such a shame that the hotel did not recognize this and demand that he return the items to you, he is the one who was responsible for it.

This should be a lesson to all of us, do not trust anyone no matter who it is with your valuables. When I arrive in Rio all my valuables like you are in my back pack, my driver always goes to grab my backpack to carry for me and put in the trunk of the car, I always resist and tell him this stays with me everything else goes in the car, you must be careful, keep your eyes on your belongings at all times because so are they and once they see an oppurtunity they will take it.