Strange glitch hotel reservations website

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to make a reservation trough Bestwestern.com website for a hotel in Evora,Portugal.The site showed me the usual different ratesest Rate,Standard Rate,Corporate,etc.The Std one is 126/164 Euro,the Best rate is 128 Euro.
Here comes the glitch: there's a Best Western Advance rate for 4 Euro a night breakfast included?!
It really sounded surreal to me so i called the hotel and told them all the above.The person i talked to just saidquot;That's not possible,please check our website".
So i did and it quotes a rate of 68 Euro for a std room and 84 for a sup room.
What are your thoughts on this?
Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM

I'm not sure what the deal was about the non existent 4 Euro rate, but the other "advance rate" is not unusual. I assume it is one of those where the savings are significant because you pay up front at time of booking and can't cancel or change for any reason?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM

OK, I went to the Best Western site and found the 4 euro rate too. I say "go for it", print out your voucher and you should be fine. This is not really any different that those 2 cent airline tickets from Ryan Air, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM

I am not sure I really understand the problem PKent, but, for what it is worth, here are some comments.

The BW "Advance" rate might involve a confirmed booking with no possibility of cancelling the booking once you have made it, while the other more expensive rates would allow you to cancel 24/48 hours prior to arrival. For example, on a recent trip, I could get a rate of 90 Euros for a 4-STAR chain hotel if it was non-“cancelable” from the time of booking and a 98 Euros rate of their normal cancellation conditions were applicable – cancel by 6pm on the day of arrival.

Also, from what I know of BW in Europe, its more an association that a chain, so therefore it is definitely possible that the hotel website itself would offer a different (lower) rate than the BW global website, the difference being the "admin" charges etc. I have always booked BW hotels, the few times I have used them, directly with the hotel on their own websites.

I have found lots of anomalies in booking hotel rooms in various ways and through travel agents, so now I check out all possible scenarios and pick the one that offers the best rate. Here is an example. I am heading to Salamanca Spain in two weeks and decided on an NH chain hotel. I needed a room with three beds. My travel agent told me it was full on her system. I got onto the NH website and rooms were available, the rooms were 99 Euros per night, but when I plugged in 3 people in the room, the price went up by about 30% per night. I then sent a note to the hotel asking for a room with three beds, and they responded with a rate of 99 Euros noting that they would move in a spare bed to the room. Go figure!

My advice: Find the lowest rate you can get, CAREFULLY check the details and cancellation policy and if it is acceptable to you, the book it, get the confirmation details and print it out. I have NEVER had an hotel NOT honour a room rate.

BTW, Evora and the surrounding area is gorgeous – you will love it. I was there late last year. I stayed at the Hotel da Cartuxa and recommend it. My room (a superior) was enormous and very nicely decorated. Staff were really delightful and helpful. WIFI was available and working.

http://www.hoteldacartuxa.com/belver/

Regards Ger
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM

BTW, I should add this comment on Hotel da Cartuxa customer service. I was traveling off-season and the rates were so good I decided to book a suite. When I checked in, the staff were in a bit of a tizzy, as they had booked a convention with a disco that would go on through the early hours. They warned me that the suites were positioned so they would get the full blast of the party music and asked if I would consider a regular room instead. I asked to see the room and it was lovely and large enough to be considered a junior suite – a full suite would have been a waste of money. Because of my inconvenience, they gave me a discounted rate on the room, less than I had been quoted originally.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick and OReilly for your prompt responses.
But i need some more further help on this matter if possible.
As you say Patrick "go for it"...What about showing up at the hotel and having them saying that they won't honour the rate because it's a silly rate?
As you know, through the best western site, you do NOT pay for the stay.You only guarantee it.
Sorry for insisting on the subject.But i really need some help here.

P.S- Ger i wish i could stay at Hotel da Cartuxa That was my first choice.Unfortunately they're fully booked on my last day.
Thank you
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Some Best Western rates available on the BW are prepaid, although I can't say for this hotel. It sounds like you stumbled across a mistake rate, which happens fairly often at various hotels, if you read the Mileage Run forums (both Air and Hotel) at FlyerTalk.com . I'd book it and hope for the best.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
ira

Hi PK,

I suggest that you book the room at the 4E rate.

Get your confirmation number.

Call the hotel to confirm.

If they deny the confirmation call BW.

Don't show up hoping for the best.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I agree with those last statements. I'd get the printed confirmation including the rate, then contact the hotel confirming they have that confirmation number. I've not won such a fantastic rate, but I have arrived at places with a confirmed rate about half of what the hotel said it would be -- which they honored because I had a confirmation.