Innoculations for CR

Jan 6th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Innoculations for CR

What innoculations did any of you recent travelers to Costa Rica receive before you departed for your trip?

We leave on March 8.
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM

We got a series of two shots for hepatitis {darn, can never remember if it was A or B!} and pills for typhoid fever. We were told that with the first hepatitis shot, we were most likely well-protected, so you still have time. We also elected to take malaria pills, for a few days before, during, and a few days after our trip, as there was a tiny but real chance of contracting it in the areas we visited.
We had no bad reactions to either the nnoculations or the pills.
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Traveled to Alajuela & Manuel Antonio; did not get any innoculations.
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM

CDC recommends HepA (good idea) and Malaria prophylaxis (prob overkill).
M
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I would have Hep A, Hep B, and typhoid for any interntaional travel. We took Malaria pills due to the areas we visited, including Panama. No problems with them at all.
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM

While it is a personal decision, I agree with LA Fade,. Our sanitary conditions in the US are a lot different than many other countries. When I went to Mexico last summer my doctor told me he didn't think I would have any problems and wouldn't necessarily recommend it strongly but now they are vacinating all school age children in the US with Hep so if that is the case it tells me it is probably not a bad idea to have them. He did feel strongly about getting a Tetnus shot since I had not had one in 25 years. He also finally bent in the direction of getting the Hep A & B which I am wrapping up the B shots this month. It gave me peace of mind. I have had hepatis before and I did not want to take any chances. There are some opinions that if you have had it once you can't get it again. I don't really know but I took the shots anyway. I am not an alarmist by any means but if you are going into any area that it is a risk I think it makes good sense to take precautions. Both my wife and I have had Hepatitis and believe me, you don't want it. If you can get your health dept to give them to you it will probably be cheaper. Most insurance plans don't cover them. Just my 2 cents worth
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM

HepB is recommended for folks involved in medical care and promiscuous behavior in MX and Central America and for those staying more than 6 months - go figure.
Anyway, the medical folks on the ground in Asia are telling absolutely terrible tales about mid 19th century medical care for the earthquake/tsunami survivors in Asia.
M
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Darn! I should have participated in promiscious behavior while I had the chance!!
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Sure, but the death will be horific!
M
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM

We asked the same question prior to going to CR.

Most school children in the US are now required to be vaccinated against Hep B.

I got my family vacc'd against Hep A and I highly recommend it to anyone. Hep A can be carried in food and water, and I know someone whose 4 year old kid got it from eating seafood on Cape Cod. Hep A was responsible for the illness outbreak at the US based Chili's Mexican restaurant chain.

While Hep A is considered "mild", it causes 30,000 to 50,000 cases a year in the US with 100 deaths due to liver failure. Even in a mild case, such as my friend's son, it was quite a hassle- he had vomiting and diarrhea and turned yellow- felt sick for about 2 weeks. His babysitter who had been exposed had to get gamma globulin shots. Not a fun experience and it is avoidable with vaccination!

We didn't do malaria or typhoid, because of the areas we went to, but I highly recommend to all who frequent this board- get Hep A- not just for travel but because you could catch it here in the US.
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM

My family of 5 will be traveling to CR in Feb. We have all gotten our Hep A and B vaccines. We will be spending 2 days in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui and then on to Arenal. Sarapiqui does look like it fringes on the Malaria-risk areas. Any thoughts on whether we should do Malaria meds for this area would be great.
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM

It really boils down to a personal decision. Your chances of contracting malaria are slim. You also have a small chance of developing a reaction to the pills, plus the inconvenience of taking them. My husband and I weighed the factors and decided to take the pills.