Search

malaria and typhoid in CR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malaria and typhoid in CR

Just returned from the drs. It wasn't my regular doc, who is on leave, but this dr. suggested taking both typhoid and malaria pills for CR. We will be in MA and the central valley. I was surprised about the typhoid. Has anyone had bad side effects from either of these pills?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM

<b>Has anyone had bad side effects from either of these pills?</b>

For malaria some people get weird, intense dreams with Larium but not with Malarone, so we always take Malarone when we go to Africa. For typhoid I always just got a shot.

Bill

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:52 PM

Check the CDC website to see which malaria drug is needed for Costa Rica. I'm pretty sure we took Chloroquine. It's cheap, and has very few side effects. It's one of the 'firstline' drugs. Larium and Malarone are recommended in areas where the mosquitos are resistant to Chloroquine.

Typhoid injections only last for two yesrs, the pills provide protection for five.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

it's cloroquine.

Jean--did you take the typhoid pills?
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

We're leaving in two weeks. Is it too late to take pills or malaria or typhoid? We were in CR (MA) last FEB and took nothing and had no problems. Has there been an outbreak since then. We are going to Drake Bay for 4 days this time.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:06 AM

Yes, I've taken the typhoid pills, but I don't recall which trip to Central America that I broke down and took them. Probably when we headed down to the Osa peninsula.

I don't know about any outbreaks, but I'm a nurse who spends hours every day giving immunization to kids so I think my views are conservative and probably skewed towards lots of immunizations. That said I haven't taken any malaria prophylaxis the past several trips to Belize.

You really shouldn't take the typhoid and malaria tablets together, they sort of cancel each other out. But many travel clinics don't tell you that.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

When you say don't take them together, do you mean on the same day? Or just not in the same time period--like typhoid next week and the malaria a couple of weeks after that?
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:35 AM

Thaks for the info. Do you know how long before a trip they should be taken. I'm sure we are too late for this trip to the osa but maybe next time. Also should I check on taking medicine in case we get sick? Hope you don't mind more questions.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:23 AM

I'll admit being on the other end of the spectrum - 3 trips to CR and have never taken anything. But even on the cdc website the Osa isn't even listed as a risk area, so not sure why malaria meds would be needed.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:58 AM

I've never taken anything, visited the same areas you're going to twice w/ no problems.I think you'll be fine without any vaccinations in these areas, but it's really a personal choice.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks so much for the replies. I am feeling much more confident now. I know my husband and grown sons don't want to take the time now to get innoculated and worry about a reaction. happy holidays to all
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

Just take along some good mosquito repellant and I'm sure you'll be fine. There was an outbreak of malaria a couple years ago when we were in Costa Rica, several backpacker types who had been sleeping on the beach around Jaco were infected.

Personally, I don't remember mosquitos being plentiful when we were in the Osa. I suppose it depends on weather conditions at the time.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

I've been to Costa Rica a bazillion times, and while there is always debate about malaria meds, I've never heard thyphoid as an issue in CR. I've never taken malaria meds and I am in the rainforest as much as possible. I bring deet and long sleeves, long pants.

Sandy
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM

Thanks to everyone.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM

Just to clarify some thing regarding typhoid and malaria pills...

Typhoid - You can either get an injection that lasts for two years or take a series of five pills over a one week period that last more time (five years maybe?). The pills or injection should be taken at least two weeks before you travel, but can still be somewhat effective if taken closer to the trip.

Malaria - These pills are not a vaccine like typhoid. You generally start taking them a few days before arriving in your destination and continue taking them for a certain amount of time after you return. The length of time and frequency depends on the type of pill. For Central America, Chloroquine is the most common and is taken once a week.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM

On a trip to CR 12 years ago we took Chloraquin. Shortly after returning to the states, my wife temporarily lost her eyesight. (Very blurry vision - lasted an hour or so). I took her to her eye doctor - turns out this is a side affect of the drug.

We went to CR 2 years ago - MA, Arenal, Monteverde, Central Valley. We went to Belize and Guatemala last year. We didn't take malaria pills for either trip.

We are headed back to CR this winter and have no plans to take the meds.

Hope this helps &amp; have a great time!
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

JeanH--I'm not sure that I think the typhoid pills are necessary, but I still would like clarification about your comment that the two types of pills cancel each other out. Thanks.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Oral typhoid can counteract some types of antibiotics, just the way they work. Apparently, it isn't true for Chloroquine, but is for Malarone (which is what we took in Panama).

Here's the blurb I found on the Seattle public health website;

The antimalarial drugs mefloquine (Lariam) and chloroquine (Aralen) have been shown to not decrease the immune response to oral typhoid vaccine. However, the antimalarial drug proguanil (available in combination with atovaquone as Malarone in the United States) has been shown to decrease the immune response to oral typhoid vaccine and should be administered only if 10 days or more have elapsed since the final dose of oral typhoid vaccine was ingested.

I figure if I'm going to the trouble to get vaccinated I want to make sure the meds are fully effective and not working against each other.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Just got back last week and did not take malaria pills. Just used bug repellant and covered up when needed and didn't even get bit.
I had good luck with the new Cutter non deet wipes. They were really handy.
I agonized about this before I went but turned out not to have a problem.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Malaria pills are not needed. Malaria is (maybe) present up by the Nicaraguan border in the middle of some remote jungles. There are tons of tourists in Manuel Antonio. I would not bother to take, or even bring the malaria pills. I bet you'll feel comfortable when you get there.

I took the typhoid pills when I went to Peru - I think they are good for 10 years. A bunch of us took the malaria pills in Peru (we were in the jungle near Bolivia) - and some people didn't feel well. I believe we took malarone b/c the mosquitos there were Chloroquine resistant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -