Search

Insects and Shots?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insects and Shots?

First time to Costa Rica. What should I know about the insects and insect repellant? I hear there are mosquitos everywhere? And the best anti-itch??? Any other insects to be aware of???? (as you can see, I am a total freakazoid about bugs)Also, are there any shots I need to get before going?
Thanks, I appreciate all you have to share. janeann
P.S. still looking for the best route to go from Liberia, to Arenal, To Manuel Antonio and then Tamarindo. What do you think of taking the ferry from Puentaarenas to Montezuma and then up the peninsula???
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:26 AM

I had no problems with bugs during my stay at MA. Most days I used bug spray w/35% deet but other days I forgot and there wasn't that much noticable difference. The mosquiotos are worse here in FL than they were there. I did not get any shots.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Tully. I heard Skin So Soft bug repellant from Avon was really good.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM

CR rated Ultrathon "the best".
M
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Dear Jeanann, Skin so Soft by Avon doesn't contain DEET. you need DEET in the spray repellent for C.R.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:26 AM

I agree. Avon't Skin So Soft won't do ANYTHING for Costa Rica bugs. You need something with DEET.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. But what about the face, I bought jungle juice at REI, but I think it is way too strong for my face????
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM

I would not put anything on my face, personally. Nor did I ever need to. You won't be battling swarms every instant of your trip; really it's no worse than many parts of the US.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM

We just tried something new and it seemed to work. My doctor suggested taking a B complex vitamin once a day, beginning about 2 weeks before the trip. It makes your blood less interesting to bugs.

I agree -- you must use DEET. Just make sure it doesn't get in your mouth or eyes.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:44 AM

In MA, Arenal, and the outskirts of San Jose, we ran into very few biting insects. The few times that I wore repellent, I used Ultrathon, but I was the only one in my family who wore repellent and no one else complained about bug bites. We didn't see one single mosquito. The only bug that bit me was some kind of horsefly that came out at dusk at the Tabacon Hot Springs. Here at home in New England we can't go out in the evening without slathering on the repellent because of mosquitoes. Give me CR any day!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:16 PM

We didn't encounter many bugs when we were in CR a few weeks ago but I did get some bites and I wore deet most of the time. I showered at night and didn't put repellant back on and I think that is when I got them. The bugs aren't bad but several Ticos warned us about Dengue. Several restaurants had bug spray on the tables. We were in the Guanacaste/Nicoya Pennisula area. We visited Coco Beach one day and the woman who worked in the store told us we should leave with our 4 year old because there were mosquitos in the store. We also met someone from Tamarindo who had Denque. The good thing about it is most of the time isn't bad, kind of like a low grade flu but there is a chance it can be really bad. Also, the Denque mosquitos usually bite during the day.

Don't mean to scare you...just be aware and wear Deet. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Our family truly needed the repellant particularly in Guanacaste (Playa Hermosa, Tamarindo). Mosquitos love my daughter who got 30 bites, majority on her legs, when we were at dinner at an outdoor restaurant. We put on repellant but walked along the beach and it apparently wahsed off. On the other hand, my other daughter only got 3 bites the whole trip! I guess it depends who you ask.... We used Deep Woods (by cutter, I think).
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. Your inout has been invaluable. What a great forum! So glad I found you!