Iguazu? Or somewhere else?

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu? Or somewhere else?

Hi,

We are planning our trip to Argentina for late March, and as of now we are planning on being in Buenos Aires 5 nights, Mendoza 4 nights, and then we have 2 nights left before our flight back. We are debating whether to go back to Buenos Aires for the last two nights, or to go to Iguazu Falls. Going to Iguazu Falls would mean going from Mendoza to Buenos Aires, and then connecting to Iguazu in one day. Then we would have 2 nights in Iguazu. Our flight back to the states is at 10pm on the day we would leave Iguazu, so we would just have to make our connection work.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Amy
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM

Short answer: Don't miss the chance to see Iguazu Falls!

Five nights in Buenos Aires is sufficient. However, be careful about flying back from Iguazu and departing for the states the same evening, particularly if you are flying Aerolineas. They are notoriously unreliable and you risk missing or being severely delayed on one of your flights. Consider staying only one night at the falls if you can have the better part of the two days there.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM

I would suggest NW of Argentina which is not well-known but amazing! Most people who have beenn to this area are still reminding the wonderful time they spent here.
You will probably find some of those review in the forum.
Flintstones-
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM

A agree do not miss Iguazu Falls.

You are so close, and the five nights in Buenos Aires is enough.

You will enjoy the Falls much more than extra days in Buenos aires.

Percy
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM

Iguazu was the highlight of my trip, I wouldn't miss it. Two nights will be plenty of time. If you can book on LAN, all the better as Aerolineas often has issues.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:01 AM

I think four nights in Mendoza is a lot. Why not just spend 3 there and then you could still spend 2 in Iguazu and then fly back to BA the day before your departure. This would seem less stressful.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM

I agree with travelme, 3 nights in Mendoza is plenty and I would not miss Iguazu, it's an amazing place, especially if you're into nature!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
pat

Iguazu is really worth seeing!
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Iguazu was really wonderful. We took an early morning flight,spent all day at the falls, stayed one night and flew back to BA the next day around noon, took a bus to the International airport and flew home. The transfer between the airports was very good. There was a traffic jam and the driver found a way to detour around it. We came back from Iguazu early to allow enough time for delays. I think 2 nights there would be great. We felt a little rushed with only one, but it was still worth it.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice! We are now planning to go to Iguazu for those last two nights of the trip. We will be sure to fly LAN (I think they have an air pass that may be the most economical).

Thanks again!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Unless you are sure you will be back you should definitely go to Iguazu. And if you can, spring for the rooms at the Sheraton in the park. You don't need to get falls view rooms (the "jungle view" ones are quite nice), but being right there at the falls is great. Plus it maximizes your time at the falls since you can get out onto the trails as soon as the park opens and stay until the very end.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Amy, Are you back yet? I am very interested on how your trip went and where you went. I go in December. If you have the time to check in, that would be great!
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Also take in the Brazilian side of the falls; you'll see additional beauty and a variance. When I visited the falls, I flew to the Brasilian side and stayed at the Hotel Tropical das Cataratas. I took a tour (which comprised of four of us on a big bus) and ventured to the Argentine side of the falls. At the "border" we did a little paperwork, or shall I say our guide did this for us; we got off-- took a train-- walked-- and from there we got another view of these magnificent falls from a different perspective as well as from The Sheraton Hotel.

If your budget warrants it, do opt for a room at The Sheraton which has the falls as its major focus. I went into a room on the "falls side," and this was indeed breathtaking.

While I stayed at the Cataratas-- my room was on the side of the Brasilian falls-- great views as well as sound at night!

I hope you and your companions will spend at least 2 days at this wonder. Try to take in the Itaipu Dam, too. ...quite an experience, too. This should take a 1/2 day if not less.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Yea, Buenos Aires is amazing and you can always find more things to do there, but if you have a chance to go to iguazu it is very hard to pass it up. it is literally like nothing you will every see again in your life (unless you love it so much that you decide to move there!). Also, as great at it is, 2 nights might be the perfect amount of time to tackle it, especially if you are staying on the argentine side. i had 2 nights there when i went, and got to do everything there is to do with the falls and never felt rushed. good luck and happy travels!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much. I will definately go there. Maybe I can get a deal at the Sheraton..who knows. I won't be going to the Brazilian side. I heard it's tricky with the visa thing, since you have to have a visa in advance.

If not the Sheraton...any other lodging suggestions? Any days of the week that are better than others? Thanks!