Hotels near Manuel Antonio advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a relaxing place to stay in the MA area with a nice beach within a short walk. We have been to CR several times but never to this area. We are looking to relax and not do much running around this time. Anyone ever stayed at Makanda by the sea or Tulemar? They both are a bit pricey (over $200)and wonder if they are worth it.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 03:53 AM

We stayed a Makanda last February in one of the studio rooms. It was lovely. They bring breakfast to your room, there's a nice pool, great pool service, a small restaurant on site and lots of privacy. Also very nice views. The walk to the beach is pretty steep, lots and lots of steps. I thought I'd check it out one morning while my husband was still in the shower. I was pretty hot and sweaty by the time I'd walked down and back up the steps.

I thought the prettiest beaches in the area were in Manual Antonio park.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM

YES, Makanda is worth it. We were there for our honeymoon. I have a little bit of an obsession for hotels...I love them and embarrassingly admit that I have gone to many JUST to look at. The Makanda is by far one of the most beautiful and serene places I have ever seen and/or stayed at. They do have a private beach that their guests can walk down to (a bit of a walk down tons of stairs) but I don't know if it's a beach you'd want to spend time at. We were there in March and the tide was very high; however, their infiniti pool is very nice to be at. You can order drinks and just chill on the pool mats in the pool. There are very few rooms, so it's not crowded at all. We actually had the pool to ourselves for a couple of days. They also don't allow anyone under 16.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

OK Makanda sounds like a nice hotel but the beach area doesn't sound that great. We really want a beach vacation. Any other suggestions on where to stay? Maybe the MA area isn't the right place
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM

You might want to look at Paradisus Playa Conchal or the Tamarindo area. Capitan Suizo and FlorBlanca are very nice places. Paradisus is huge and there is a lovely beach right there that you can easily walk to.
There are several web sites for Tamarindo in general that will show you where the hotels are and what they cost etc.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

We have stayed at Capitan Suizo's before. We really liked it. We have been to Tamarindo twice though and looking to see a different part of the country (on the beach). Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:23 PM

I don't mean to be flippant, but if you want a beach vacation, why aren't you considering countries known for beaches. I am going to C.R. in January, but plan on spending very little time at the beach. Hope to get in a little beach time though.

If I was planning a primarily beach vacation, I would choose a place like the Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos or Mayan Riviera 45 minutes south of Cancun, or St John, USVI (great beaches there!). Excuse me, I think I was a travel agent in a former life!
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

The reason we chose to return to CR is because I like the laid back atmosphere and the people are friendly. When I have visited the Carribean in the past I found the beach vendors to be very pushy. Plus I love the fact that you can be hanging out at the pool and have monkeys in the trees overhead. We probably will do a daytour in Manuel A as well. I have never been to the Turks....are there a lot of beach vendors there? I may check into that
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:24 AM

MalPais/Santa Teresa is a nice beach town/area and not at all like Tamarindo as it's much smaller and more quiet. You should check out that area for your 'beach vacation'.
I also love Nosara which is also quiet but is spread out as far as hotels and restaurants.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I don't want to post too much on Turks and Caicos on the Costa Rica part of the board, but... No the vendors aren't pushy. As a matter of fact I don't remember any vendors! Probably because its not popular and touristy yet.

We went in May during the off season so it wasn't very crowded at all. Can't comment on high season. A little lush, but not much. Flat, quiet and kinda boring with great water and beaches. Check out Turks and Caicos on this Fodors site. Let me know if you want to discuss this on the Turks and Caicos part of the site and I'll meet you there.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:21 PM

The thing about MA is that most of the hotels are perched on a mountain overlooking the ocean, so you can't really step outside your hotel room and walk onto the beach. On the upside, the view is usually gorgeous and you feel like you're staying in a rainforest setting. But if the beach is your main priority, then you'll probably be frustrated at how long it'll take to get there. Tamarindo or another area might be better for you.