Search

Hotels in Iguazu-argentina

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Iguazu-argentina

I'll be at the falls in November. The Sheraton has quoted me 234 + taxes (lowest price) and Hotel Saint George (110 +taxes bft and pickup from airport). Has anyone stayed at this hotel and Hotel Esturion (I don't have a quote from them yet). Does anyone know how far these hotels are from the falls. I'm planning on arriving at 9:30 from BA and then checking into the hotel and then to the falls for the p.m. for about 6-7 hours. Is that going to be long enough for me to walk and see everything. I plan to stay one night and maybe see the falls the next morning and take a 2:20 p.m. flight out to Salta. How much is a taxi from these hotels to the falls. I understand there are lockers at the falls, are they big enough for a 21 in. suitcase. Thanks for your help. Alana
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:51 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel St George and I was very happy with it. The rooms aren't luxury, but very nice and the pool area is really lovely. Great for a late afternoon swim after hiking around the falls all day.

The main advantage to the Sheraton is its location right inside the park... you can just walk to the falls. I've never stayed there myself but have heard mixed reviews about the rooms. With your limited time, the Sheraton might be worth the extra money, but I think you'll be fine with HSG if you want to save some cash. It's located right across from the bus station, so you can either take a bus or a cab into the park. I forget the exact price, but it's just a few dollars for a cab and even cheaper for the bus. Of course more time is better, but you should be able to walk around and see plenty of the falls in the time you have. If you happen to be there during a full moon, you can also do the Luna tour at night to squeeze in some extra time at the falls (you can arrange that right at your and they'll pick you up).

You're going to love Iguazu! Have fun!
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've not heard good things about the Sheraton even though its convenient being in the park. Alana
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM

alana
The S.George is in the centre of Puerto Iguazu. It is a nice 3 superior hotel. It is ok if you stay there.
The rate of u$s 110 is too much if it includes taxes and breakfast and the transfer in from the airport. i think there is a mistake, unless the pick up is a private one, only for you in a car.(I doubt it)

The falls are around 20 minutes from the hotel. You will have to take a taxi to get to the falls. When you realize the morning is gone. The Park closes at 6 pm and nobody can stay inside. Back to the Hotel.

Following day remember you have to be at the airport at 1 pm. You will have to ask for a cab to go to the hotel and from there to the airport

A piece of advice. if you can afford the Sheraton you will avoid wasting time. The convenience of being in the park is worth the difference.

milla
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:02 AM

There are lockers at the falls.

Not sure where our luggage went, but after a rapid exchange in Spanish, they were happy to store our carry-ons for a fee (can't remember how much).

Since these didn't fit in any of the lockers, I assume they were stored elsewhere.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I will find out the 1st day about storing our luggage at the falls. The 110.00 US includes a buffet dinner as well. So that sounds like a good deal to me. Thanks everyone. Alana
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton and really liked it.
A weekend is more than enough.
I did the boat ride, helicopter ride--don't know if that's still on--and took a little train that takes you to the falls.
Also, the falls are worth visiting from the Brazilian side as well.
M.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM

One more thing, Iguazu is really hot in November. I am Argentine, and know what I'm talking about.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Hi, I have said it several times, in Argentina best hotel rates are usually obtained through a local travel agent.
We have stayed at the Sheraton, for me the best choice because of its location, paying much , much less. We made the reservations through WOW Argentina. intia)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I don't understand why, after a 20 minute ride to the Falls, "you realize the whole morning is gone." Is it really such a huge inconvenience to stay outside the Park? If you were in any city, it would probably take 20 minutes or more to travel to any attraction, so why is it so onerous at Iguazu?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM

We just returned from Iguazu and a 2 night stay at the Sheraton. We paid US$285 for a falls view room that was adequately furnished. You are paying for the falls view and immediate park access, and both were worth the expense for our short stay. No other hotel has any view of the falls except the Sheraton. And no other hotel has the park access of the Sheraton. You walk out of the hotel into the park and can walk all circuits. If you stay elsewhere, you have to take the bus to take you to the park entrance (20-30 minutes plus waiting time), then board the train or walk to the circuits. Also, when the park closes, you need to time your departure with the train schedule, and the train can be full. If you're staying at the Sheraton, you simply walk back to the hotel at closing time. I estimate that by staying at the Sheraton, you get at least 3 hours more at the falls themselves instead of hassling with the bus and train. That being said, the Sheraton's facilities are only OK and definately not worth the price of the room. But like I said, you're paying for the spectacular falls view and immediate access to the park. You'll be able to see all of the Argentina side of the falls in one day (take the speed boat ride up to the falls). We used the second day to visit the Brazilian side of the falls and it was a totally different perspective. Our driver, arranged at the Sheraton, told us that no visa was necessary as long as we only visited the park, and he was right. We enjoyed the excursion into Brazil. Also, if you travel during the full moon, you can walk the circuit to Devil's Throat at night with a guide. It's a spectacular sight to view the falls in moonlight!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Would agree that the Sheraton at Iguazu is worth the price for convenience. The "forrest view" rooms were a little less expensive, and basically were the same room but without the view. Most of your time is spent outside at the falls during the day and at night the falls are dark so then there is no view of the falls. Also would agree that the food at the Sheraton was nothing special, but the convenience of being on the trails in the morning before the busloads of tourists arrived was well worth the extra price. Also if you want to change out of wet clothes after the boat ride to the falls, the hotel is just a walk away. You will enjoy Salta also since that area is wonderful and not yet crowded with tourists. The views, food and wine are fantastic!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM

I have been to Iguazu five times, most recently last month. I have stayed at the Sheraton, the Esturion, and Cabañas Supara on the river. I agree with others....for convenience it is hard to beat the Sheraton on the grounds of the national park. The park experience consists of three circuts (Upper, lower and Garganta de Diablo)and an optional boat ride under the falls. By staying at the hotel you can return to your room to cool off and rest between each circut (there are lots of steps). This feature alone made a stay at the Sheraton worthwhile for me...The advantage of staying in town is that you will have a much wider choice of restaurants and lodging is less expensive ( I stayed in one of the upgraded rooms at the Esturion last month for about US90 tax included for example)....
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM

We will be staying at the sheraton next month.

There is another way to "pay" for the Sheraton. If you sign up for an Amex SPG (Sheraton) card you will get 10,000 points.

The cost for one night at the Sheraton is 10,000 points and you can redeem your award if a room is available ..the awards are not capacity controlled.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Where were you when I needed this information Dick? lol

Great idea for cutting the cost!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM

drdawg,

I was able to cancel a room that I had reserved at $305 plus tax

I just love using reward points/miles
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM

You are my new hero Dick.

I plan to apply for my card right away and cash in somewhere....