Hotel Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the current name of the hotel that was the original "Hotel Cabo San Lucas"? It closed in 2004, I thought to be renovated under new ownership.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Chileno Bay Golf and Ocean Club

http://www.loscabosguide.com/chilenobayclub/
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, Chileno Bay Golf and Ocean Club went bankrupt and the area is not currently occupied (or finished). They started the project, moved the freeway and nothing has happened there for over 2 years. Such a shame!

There is 1 villa rental at Chileno Bay (used to be part of the hotel but is privately owned) that really gives the feel of the old hotel (that we all loved). http://www.cabovillas.com/properties.asp?PID=169

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Villa Cielito is a personal favorite and I spent my last vacation there!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. Actually, it breaks my heart. Such a beautiful authentic place the old hotel was. Can you recommend another property that comes close to having the openness and character?
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM

I was so sad to read this post. Knew the hotel had been sold and for some reason was under the impression it was going to be a condotel type place.

Have many fond memories of this place and the owners, Bud and Marian Parr, husband and I spent our honeymoon here and went back with friends a couple of years later. Caught my first (and only) marlin there as well. Drove all over the place in a little VW bug.

I too would love to hear of someplace comparable in the area that is not a glitzy highrise.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Exactly, does anyone have something comparable to this lovely property to recommend? I am not looking for glitzy highrise. I want the feeling I had in the dining room, open air, with the great staff, so personable. Please!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:04 AM

It is possible the Twin Dolphins near Santa Maria Bay might meet you requirements for atmosphere. I cannot say that is still does because it is many years since I have been there.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jeff801 for the suggestion. It seems all of the great old Mexican properties have been taken over. This one too is closed for construction, apparently by the same company that took over Hotel Cabo San Lucas and never finished it.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM

<b>does anyone have something comparable to this lovely property to recommend?</b>

Some of the East Cape fishing lodges still have the "old Baja" vibe but then you're staying at a place filled with fishermen and a long way from the bright lights of Cabo. My favs were Punta Colorado (very isolated) and Palmas de Cortez. Haven't stayed at Punta Pescadero but have graced their bar briefly and it was also isolated and peaceful.

Couple of places east of San Jose near Cabo Frailes but I haven't spent much time there.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks, will take a look at that area. Not interested in the bright lights, but like decent snorkeling and good food.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

I just can't see anything that compares to the old hotel. I am not into bright lights of Cabo, or fishing, so as you say, bill H, that is a consideration. Oh well, thanks everybody.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:52 PM

My first and only time at Cabo San Lucas was in June 1969, and I stayed at the Hotel Cabo San Lucas. There was no airport, just a grass meadow for a small plane to land. A pick-up truck transported guests to the hotel where the staff had trays of margaritas for the new arrivals. There was no electricity (kerosene lanterns as I recall). No telephones, just a ship-to-shore radio in case of an emergency. The hotel was on the peninsula, one side was the Sea of Cortes, the other the Pacific Ocean. The pool was out on the promontory, and the owners' dog, a black labrador retriever named Kennedy, would dive in the pool for a tin can that was water filled. Everything about the weeklong stay was glorious.