Search

Hotel Advice in Zihuatanejo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Michelle

Hotel Advice in Zihuatanejo

Looking for hotel advice - Villa Del Sol or Casa Que Canta...also how are restaurants/bars outside of the resort?

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Richard

Just got back from 5 weeks in MX. Had a great time and spent 5 days in Ixtapa.<BR><BR>Had a great hamburger at Reubens.<BR><BR>Fantastic seafood at Frank's. Frank is an Italian from Toronto (who's family are in the restauant trade) who never left Mexico while on vacation.<BR><BR>Went to a bar/resaurant in Zihuatanejo called Banditos. It is near and on the same street as the church. The food was only OK, but the party afterwards in the bar was GREAT, worth going back for.<BR><BR>Be careful, there are a lot of people who fall in love with Mexico and don't leave.<BR><BR>Have a ball!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:12 PM
nancy

hi... went to villa del sol for our honeymoon. the beach is immaculate (they groom it all day long) the infinity pool is also great. The food was definitely mediocre at best. I loved our room which had a private pool. Overall I didn't think the staff was very nice, and everything extra cost an arm and a leg. I felt like if we didn't order food on the beach or eat a big lunch or have extras they weren't happy with us. I have heard only great things about casa que canta...i'd say check that out because the ocean isn't that great to swim in anyway. <BR><BR>as for restaurants: absolutely eat at Kao Kan (sp?) it's on the hill and the food was top notch.. as was the service. also we ate at coconuts which is very informal but delicious, and great service as well. there are tons of fun places to go out....we liked the bartender at JJ's...he's a super mellow guy and funky folks hang out. you'll like it alot. <BR><BR>one other bit of advice: at Vdel S they would not let you put anything in the mini-bar that was not put there by them. they even had red marks on cokes and dos XX to make sure they knew which ones they provided. considering that the room was almost 600 it seemed a bit childish and cheap on their part. we bought beer in town every day and kept it in our mini-bar after they cleaned our room. it saved a bundle and was really fun to enjoy a cold one after a day on the beach in our own pool. enjoy zihua, it's great. also check out www.zihua.net (i think it's net) for tips...zihua dan is very helpful. nancy

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Susan

I had heard the same about VDS. The people I met who were staying there moved to another hotel (can't recall the name - it was on the other side of the bay and was gorgeous). They are all above my price range though!<BR><BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:46 PM
michelle

Wow thanks for the info - all the other postings raved about VDS...Casa might be slightly out of our price range any other suggestions??

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Kat

Try Puerto Mio in Zihua.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Susan

Puerto Mio is the name of the place I was trying to remember. We visited the people over there (same ones who had been at Villa Del Sol) and it was quite lovely!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:55 PM
G&R

We stayed at the Villa del Sol and the service was hoity doity but the infinity pool was really nice and we loved the location of being right on the beach, very relaxing. We also stayed at a little B&B Villa De La Roca which was EXCELLENT! It is right next to Casa Que Canta (practically the same views), the people there were SO SWEET and the food was out of this world. The breakfasts were great but if they are serving dinner, watch out, the cook is so fabulous. They have limited seating so you have to reserve in advance. It is not posh by any means, but I so enjoyed my stay there. Hope this helps!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Lizelle

We recently (yesterday) returned from Zihuatanejo. Despite mixed message board reviews on Villa Del Sol(mainly positive though), we decided to stay there. Our reservation was booked through email with a very professional and kind staff. From the time we arrived to the time we departed, the staff made certain we did not lift a finger. Needless to say, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My husband was not a big fan of Mexico but feels this trip rivaled that of our other tropical excursions. We opted for the deluxe superior room (just one up from the least expensive) and were placed practically on the beach; the private terrace faced the ocean and proved a perfect spot for reading as well as late afternoon drinks. Sleeping and waking up to the sounds of the ocean were pretty great - albeit not for everyone. We loved the beach, but perhaps we were there at a good time. The food at VDS was good (mainly at the Cantina) but not as authentic as we had hoped. If you walk south towards the end of the beach, try La Gaviota. It's more authentic and traditional. We had dinner at Casa Que Canta. What a spectacular view and wonderful food & service. One thing we would miss is a private beachfront. Other than that, it looked pretty amazing. Overall, we liked VDS and would stay there again provided we got the same room or something comparable. However, we'd prefer to find a smaller place with the same type of beach access. FYI: VDS is adding about 20 more rooms located towards the front of the hotel away from the beach.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Newlywed

My husband and I were married in Zihuatanejo on Dec 1 2001 -- amazing. We stayed four nights at VDS, six nights at Casa Que Canta. We had a fantastic experience at both hotels. I found the staff at VDS to be wonderful, so friendly and helpful. Loved the beach and especially the infinity pool. Dinner is so-so but breakfast and lunch are great, especially if you order lunch on the beach! Villa del Sol is a more social hotel, it's larger than Casa Que Canta and it's right on the beach. Nice if you like to wander down the beach and try a new place for lunch or dinner without having to go into town. Casa Que Canta is VERY private. They do not allow non-guests into the hotel until 6pm. It is much quieter than VDS, more expensive, and the staff tends to leave you alone so you feel like you have the place to yourself. I think some people might get bored at CQC, since there is not much people watching. I loved both spots and can't wait to return.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
sera

Planning on staying at Villa del Sol. Have a superior (lowest price) room booked. Should I upgrade to a better room? Are they worth it?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM
sera

ttt

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM
newlywed

Superior rooms are fine, but can really vary in size. Some are dark, others have two small balconies. <BR><BR>Be sure to request a room that is NOT over the kitchen -- apparently it gets noisy early in the morning, when they gear up for breakfast. I've also heard that rooms near the lobby can be tough, because the phones ring constantly.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Marilyn

Has anyone stayed recently at the Sotavento? That was our preferred hotel many years ago and I wonder if it is still good?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:54 AM
newlywed

Marilyn, the Sotavento and Catalina hotels, which used to be under the same management, have recently split. Apparently the quality of Sotavento has declined noticeably. Catalina is still getting good reviews, and they have updated their website very nicely. Hopefully Sotavento will get their act together!

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lizelle,<BR><BR>Which room number did you stay in?