Isla Holbox - where did you stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an active couple in our early 60s planning a week in Isla Holbox in early December. IH seems to fit the bill for this trip. 35th anniversary. Reading, walks, food, adult beverages. We've been to Mexico many times, so probably not interested in leaving the Isla for ruins, etc.

If you've been to IH, where did you stay? And what did you like/dislike about the hotel?

Some comments (on another travel site) have said some of the hotels are "across the street" from the beach, not right on the beach. With all sand roads/paths, was this a problem for you?

Up to $150/night. Hopefully ocean view or ocean front, with comfortable bed, in room safe and hot water (at least warm). Easy walk to the village for restaurants. Included breakfast would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any/all information!!
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We've stayed at both Hotel Puerto Holbox and Esmeralda. Puerto Holbox was a smaller property and thus more intimate, and we liked the private beachfront palapas. No breakfast or restaurant on site. Esmeralda was kinda sterile, but it was fine, and they did have a restaurant. Second day we had headaches, thought it might have been from too many beers the day before. I stuck my head in the kitchen to find a waiter (service was slow) and I saw a jar of decaf Nescafe. Caffeine withdrawals, not a hangover. Went to town and bought them the real stuff. If you can call Nescafe real. I don't recall if either property had safes. Both are on the beach.
Interesting story about PH. The first year we were overcharged on our final bill (didn't realize it until we had returned home), as they didn't consider the first night's deposit we had already wired. For some reason they couldn't wire us the refund from Mexico to the US. I just figured, oh well, just 1 night, only like $45 back then. But the next year they remembered, and we were refunded in cash. 3rd year, we had reserved, but they emailed about a month before we were to arrive saying they had problems with sargassum and recommended we find another hotel. That's when we stayed at Esmeralda.
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 03:48 AM

Stayed over for 3 nights, 2 hotels on the beach. I believe one was hotel Maite and the second was Publita. We got there without any reservations so had to look around until we found one. We preferred Maite , lots of chairs , good beach area and breakfast was great. No need for AI here as the variety of restaurants available are quite outstanding for the size of the island. Rented bicycles and went all over including the cemetery and the tip of the island. Beautiful sunsets, very laid back destination 4 sure, would definitely go back and stay over at Hotel Los Tortugas...
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 08:23 AM

We stayed at Hotel Los Tortugas the last time. Our first room there was a 'penthouse' situation with a cool bed on ropes on the deck. The room itself was up 3 flights, was very small with sloped ceilings and didn't have a view. Our second room was bigger and offered a sliver of a view.
I found the woman behind the desk to be very condescending. The property itself is very pretty with very nice lounging areas on the perfect beach. The food was good.
The pool was crowded with half and half children.
There are a few studios/apartments on the beach that we'll try for next time. Much less costly and fewer people.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for your very informative replies! Really appreciate your input!