Help/Spring break in PV

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Paulette

Help/Spring break in PV

Could really use some help in planning trip for 17 & 18 yr old girls on spring break, travel agent has recommended Presidente Inter,Qualton, continental and the Holiday Inn with a price range of 1100. to 1500.per person. thought all/in would be the way to go for teenagers on their own. They would perfer Cancan because of the nite life but ( Mom's don't. )Walking distance to town, nice pool, water sports. Never been to PV not sure what to expect any help would be greatly appreciated>

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:59 AM
xxx

Ok, so I know I'm not really answering your question, but..
1. Why would you even consider sending your teenage daughters on Spring Break to a foreign country to place YOU've never even been?
2. Why would you trust the judgement of total strangers?

Personally, I love PV but would not send my teenage daughters there unsupervised.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Sid

I'm an experienced Spring Breaker, I was in Cancun a few years ago. The #1 reason to go to Spring Break is to Hookup & drink tons of alchohol.

Florida is safer cause the cops do try to enforce the drinking laws.

But anywhere in Mexico, Bahams, Carribean during spring break, it's just nuts, girls and guys hook up, have sex, get drunk ALL time. And don't forget the "wet" t-shirt contest and everything.

Personally NO MATTER what the travel agent or what the girls say, I'd NEVER let my daughter or my sister ever go there during spring break!!!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Susan

None of the PV hotels you mention are "walking distance to town". You can easily get there by (inexpensive) bus or taxi. Puerto Vallarta has plenty of nightlife, clubs, discos, etc. so if you aren't comfortable with the Cancun idea for the girls, I'm not sure why PV would be any different in that regard.

I go to PV 1-2 each year but stay in downtown or south of the river, the older (nicer in my opinion) part of town, not out at the resorts.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
anonymous

Travel agents always "recommend" the same few hotels (I believe because they get commission/kickback from them, that doesn't make them good).

And I've got to agree with the first two posters, although I LOVE Puerto Vallarta myself I question the wisdom of sending teenage girls there solo.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Spring Break

I've never understood the mental clarity of a parent that would LET, never mind SEND their teenagers to ANY Mexican resort town for Spring Break. The "legal" drinking age in Mexico is 18 and though some bars do check ID's, if you're cute enough, you're going to get in no matter your age. It's well documented how spring breaker's have soiled Cancun's attraction as a destination for travelers of any age. And IMHO, that "rite of celebration" has contributed to the jaded attitude that the people of Cancun have toward tourists. But back to the question at hand. PV, though maybe not as "wild" as Cancun, does not lack for bars and nightlife and anyone walking past the Zoo after midnight and seeing the young girls in their barely-there clothes dancing on the tables and in the cages and hanging out over the sidewalk knows that anything goes when you've got enough alcohol in you. This is beside the fact of drugs such as GHB being put into drinks without the girl's knowledge and rendering her incapable of making her own decisions. And Mom, you should also know that the Mexican male can be the MOST charming, attentive and seductive of all God's creatures when it comes to getting a gringa in the sack.

My recommendation is, if you want your girls to have a fun spring break, you GO WITH THEM to PV. Make it a family vacation. Give them some time on their own to venture out a little, but you be there to set the limits of their adventures.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:32 PM
paulette

The girls would not be solo we have parents going, thought PV would be a bit more controlled.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Susan

Paulette, I'm glad you clarified that. When I read your note, I didn't anything about kids going on their own, but people really jumped on you!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Controlled?

Nothing is "controlled" when you mix teenagers + alcohol + "away from home".

And in regards to the hotels you asked about, non of them are within walking distance to town, though buses and taxis are plentiful and inexpensive. I would suggest looking at the maps on www.vallarta-info.com to get an idea where hotels are located.

Your original post stated "help in planning trip for 17 & 18 yr old girls" and "thought all/in would be the way to go for teenagers on their own". So you can see why the above posters question the wisdom of sending teens without parental supervision.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Pauletta

Wow that's what I thought about Cancun, there's no way I want my girls going there, I thought PV would be an older crowd! I didn't know it was a SPRING BREAK hot spot. And (on their own) meant taking care of their selves, when it came to eating,water sports without leaving the resort that kind of thing, not hanging out in the clubs till the wee hours.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:00 PM
PV & Latino men

Parents going is a GOOD thing (but not what the original post stated i.e. "teenagers on their own" - sorry for any confusion).

I DO think Puerto Vallarta would be much better than Cancun. It is still a genuine, authentic Mexican town along side all the resorts, etc. Cancun was BUILT as a resort destination, and little of Mexico remains.

My other comment concerns safety (I am single, female, and have spent about 7 months total in PV). I would be MUCH more worried about American, Canadian, & European male teens and 20-somethings taking advantage of a situation with your girls, than a Latino man (as mentioned by one poster above).

Generally I have found Mexican men to be respectful. They have Mothers and Sisters and Wives who they adore... their family ties are strong. And many are married and fathers very young, not out chasing foreign teenage tourists. I realize this is a generalization but believe there is truth to it.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Susan

Paulette, Puerto Vallarta does get an older crowd. And they are probably at their hotel in bed or having a quiet cocktail in a small beach-front bar at midnight. Not dancing on the tables at The Zoo! ;-)

I have spent alot of time in PV, sometimes falling during the various college spring break times. I have never observed the "spring break" phenomena as others describe, but then again I wasn't seeking it.

Don't count PV out. Do consider finding a place other than the typical resort hotels north of town (like you mentioned). PV is a lovely town with friendly local people.

I think posters reacted as they did because they assumed the girls would be on their own.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:23 AM
PV low key hotels

Take a look at:

www.playalosarcos.com

www.htropicana.com

two good hotels on Playa Los Muertos in Old Town "south of the river". Walking distance to restaurants, shopping, art galleries. Water sports offered on the beach in front of the hotels (parasailing, banana boats, innertubes, boogies boards, etc.)

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
curious

topping

Paulette~~ Will you let us know what you decide?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Pauletta

I think we have decided to go to Panama City,PV sounds a little scary for teenage girls and their mothers who have never been there.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Miscommunications

Paulette, I think the miscommunication in your original post resulted in the responses you received and now you think PV is "scary". PV is FAR from ever being scary! What is scary is sending a 17 & 18 year old girl to a place they've never been (especially in a foreign country) to find their way around while a few thousand other kids are there, "set free" from the perceived constraints of home. The temptations are there, the risks are there, but then again, they are there also in Panama City. PV's geographical location has nothing to do with the aspect of teenage behavior on spring break. They can do anything and everything in Panama City that they can do in PV. The difference is that you clarified later that there ARE going to be parents in close proximity to the girls....BIG BIG difference.

IMHO, I don't think you should base your whole perception of PV on this miscommunication. PV is a FABULOUS place and you, your girls and the other moms would LOVE it. It is a charming, culture-filled town of cobblestone streets, white-washed and painted buildings and houses and plazas. The backdrop are the Sierra Madres, lush green vegetation-covered mountains that overlook the beautiful bay. The weather that time of year is fantastic. The shopping and activities are innumerable. The choices for lodging and dining (over 900 restaurants I've heard)cannot be beat. The people are warm, gracious, helpful and much more endearing to their foreign travellers than you'll find at many tourist locales. I've found PV to be the epitome of tourist location/Mexican village mix. And NEVER, NEVER have I been scared there, even as a female walking alone at night (with caution of course).

Please reconsider PV as a wonderful destination for your girls AND YOU MOMS. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
misunderstaing 2

I have to second the above poster. I absolutely LOVE Puerto Vallarta, consider it a second home, and hope to retire part time there. I am sorry for the responses you got, but strongly agree that people were reacting to the phrase *for teenagers ON THEIR OWN* in your original post.

I am female, single, now 48, but have been going to PV for 10 years. I walk alone any time of the day or night, all over town. In all my interactions I have NEVER felt in danger or been in any way hassled. It is a friendly town, easy to navigate, with plenty to see and do.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 03:35 AM
loangalsal

Anothe vote for PV! Definitely your responses advising against PV were because people thought the girls would be alone. I LOVE PV, would never be afraid there, but also would never send my teenagers anywhere out of the US unattended. I have been bringing my daughter to PV since she was 4 years old and by the time she is a teenager she will know the city like the back of her hand, but I will NOT let her go to Mexico alone over spring break as a teen. I experienced PV the first time at 22 years old with my parents and fell in love with it, can't get enough!

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:18 AM
dan

No matter where you go, teenagers will be teenagers, wether you approve of it or not!