Single mom and 4 yr old in mexico

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:25 AM
dar

Single mom and 4 yr old in mexico

I have a chance to travel (free airfare and hotel) to Puerto Vallerto, Cancun, or Acapulco over spring break ( March 8-15) with my 4 yr old son. I don't like crowds; I want to feel safe; love the sun and water; don't mind touristy sights if I can also get some feel for the local culture and natural environment. Will NOT be on a complete package tour, so will have to find my way around by myself. Don't mind wandering around w/o another adult as long as the area seems safe...

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
dar

I guess I didn't make clear my question: which city would you recommend and why? Thank you.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:26 PM
PV Definitely

Whatever you do steer clear of Cancun during spring break, unless you want to put up with drunk obnoxious teenagers all week. Besides you will not find any "culture" there. Acapulco is too big, too busy and too crowded. Puerto Vallarta is just what you're looking for. It's very safe; have been there several times solo (female). It is beautiful that time of year, everything green and lush. The town is very charming and the people very warm and friendly. You will still encounter spring breakers, but it's not near as wild as Cancun. Good luck!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:37 PM
pv

PV hands down. March is certainly high season anywhere in Mexico, but PV is by far the best for local culture and a great town (especially the south side of town). I feel very safe in PV, even after dark.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Susan

For Dar~~ I go to Puerto Vallarta 1-2 times a year since I first went (and fell in love with it) in the early 90's. I'm single female, 48, have traveled both alone and with friend(s) there. PV has a very safe feel about it. The local people are friendly and welcoming, and adore kids! It's a good balance of 'normal' Mexican town and culture along with the tourist-related businesses and activities.

If you can, try to pick a hotel as close in to town (El Centro) or "south of the river" sometimes called Zona Romantica... (rather than out in Nuevo Vallarta, The Marina, or The Hotel Zone where the more typical tourist 4/5star resorts and hotels are). If you aren't sure of locations, feel free to write or post your hotel options and I might be able to tell some of the pros and cons of the various areas or specific properties.