Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallerta (PV?) where is it?

And why is it so popular?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerot Vallarta is on the west/pacific coast of Mexico between Mazatlan and Acapulco (roughly speaking).

It is popular because it is a nice mix of a "normal" working Mexican town (pop. 250,000) and tourist ammenities and development. It has a very beautiful setting on the Bay of Banderas with mountains and jungles surrounding the town. Local people are friendly and welcoming. There are places to stay ranging from very cheap to very fancy and everything in between. It is popular with foreign visitors (US, Canada, Europe) but also with Mexican families from inland who come for a beach vacation. The sunsets are stunning. Food's pretty good too.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Puerto Vallarta (sheez, I should preview my posts)!!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Would it be one of your picks of the many places to visit in Mexico? What do people do there? I mean is the town centre interesting - any good museums? What about trips out of town?

And as it's on the Pacific coast does that mean it's big-wave beaches?

Thx loads.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:22 AM

I started going to P.V. in 1989 only because our trip to Puerto Rico was cancelled because the airlines went on strike that week and we had no choice. P.V. was on the West coast and that was all we could get. We were truly blessed going there we have been going every year at least once or twice. We didn't know what to expect and in an hour we were feeling so relaxed and couldn't believe how beautiful this place was. Of course after a week there we were already planning our next trip the followng year (2 wks.) We have a Mexican family that we feel are like family to us we saw a whole generation grow up. Yes it has changed a lot since we first started going but what can I say everyone I know who has come with us on vacation loved it. If you like a place that is very tropical has mountains as high as the sky and the weather from Nov thru May is perfect and of course the restaurants the best food. And last but not least the people are the best. We have been to other places in Mexico Ixtapa, Cancun, and also the Bahamas, and Puerto Rico and loved all of them but this is where we keep coming back to, it feels like our second home. One couple we know is going in Feb for a month. So for us folks on the East Coast of the States you know we love P.V. when we keep going back year ater year even though it is a 5 1/2 hr flight one way. Give it a try you will love it.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM

My love for Puerto Vallarta is a personal things, certainly not a statement against all the other wonderful places you could visit in Mexico. It's a huge and diverse country.

The people in PV are incredibly friendly and welcoming and very proud. The town is authentic which is immportant to me, I'm not looking for Mexi-Disney on my vacation.

I can only speak to what I do there. Here's a typical day: Have breakfast, take a walk around downtown, poke around in some of the local shops, visit the church, hit an internet cafe and send some emails, chat with people, lay by the pool and read a book, have lunch, maybe a siesta, do another round of walking the neighborhood, go down to the beach and watch the sunset (spectacular), have drinks and dinner somewhere, read or watch Mexican TV, maybe go out once more for ice cream or a drink, get lots of sleep.

What is available... loads of different organized activities like tours into the jungle, nature preserve, ziplines, booze cruises, snorkeling, parasailing, fishing, whale spotting, water taxi rides, fiesta, home tours.

You can go to the smaller towns to the south (Boca, Melenque, Barra de Navidad) or the north (Bucerias, Punta Mita, Sayulita, San Pancho, Ricon, San Blas) along the coastline by rental car or bus.

I believe there may be one small museum, I have never been. Definitely not the draw of PV.

I find El Centro endlessly interesting. I just like to observe people going about their daily lives. Whether you would find it so, is impossible for me to say.

The waves are medium large.