Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallarta or Cancun????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:54 AM
arf

Which would you choose and why?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
xxx

Definitley Cancun! I've been to both, and you can't compare the beauty. Canucn beaches are a million times prettier. One thing though, Puerto Vallarta doesn't have as many tourists as Cancun. In PV you would meet all locals or Mexicans vacationing from near cities (Guadalajara, Leon). In Cancun, you'll be lucky if you meet any Mexicans. I must admit that PV does have a cute downtown area, but the beaches, in my opinion, aren't all that great. Good luck.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:38 AM
PV

Puerto Vallarta if you want authentic Mexican atmosphere, charming old downtown, great restaurants, mix of tourists and locals, wide range of hotel options ($15-$75US+).<BR><BR>Cancun if you want the gorgeous Caribbean turquoise water and white sand and don't mind a more expensive vacation, AI resorts, huge hotels, high-rises and lots of Canadian, American, and European tourists.<BR><BR>As a side note, Puerto Vallarta has existed as a town for hundreds of years. Cancun was built by the government as part of a tourist developement program.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Mary

I pick Puerto Vallarta. It is very walkable and has a much more casual atmosphere than I thought Cancun had.<BR>Have a safe and fun trip...<BR> mary

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Casey

Puerto Vallarta! So much more authentic and charming. Also, more romantic.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Lyn

Cancun for its beautiful water and beaches. And even though Cancun is very Americanized by no means is it just Americans that visit. We usually hear way more Spanish spoken from the tourists we encounter than we hear English. I understand that a lot of people from South America vacation there.<BR><BR>If you want more authentic Mexican feel or you want to eat at an authentic Mexican restaurant go to the downtown area for a day or evening or rent a car (or take a tour) to Playa Del Carman.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:36 AM
hotels - cancun vs. pv

If you want to stay in a 4/5 star resort ON the beach, and enjoy poolside service, swimup bars and the like, organized activities, then I'd pick Cancun, because that's more what it's all about.<BR><BR>If you like non-chain, locally owned hotels with friendly staff and a warm welcoming "personality", then somewhere in Puerto Vallarta south of the river. But you might have to walk down to the bar yourself to fetch a margarita or keep beer from the corner store on ice in a cooler poolside!