Search

cancun or puerto vallarta?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cancun or puerto vallarta?

Hi, i've read this forum and everyone seems so helpful!
This will be our first time to Mexico and am wondering should we go to puerto vallarta or cancun- i've heard they are both beautiful and fun A little about us: we are both 28-29 years of age, enjoy good food (especially seafood) and drnks! want to sunbathe, experience outside activities, and shop.. cancun or PV?
Thank you!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cancun is more Americanized with many resorts and hotels lined up together Miami-beach style. The ocean water and sand are prettier over on the Caribbean side.

Puerto Vallarta is on the Pacific Coast so has different atmosphere and look geographically-speaking. It is located on the Bay of Banderas, with jungles and mountains in the background. PV has development similar to Cancun, only if you drive out to "Nuevo Vallarta" which to the north of the city. The actual town of PV itself still is 'authentic' Mexican and a very busy and fun place to vacation. Plenty of great restaurants, shops, galleries, activities.

Either destination would fit what you describe in your post.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks suze- i will most likely ask more questions about PV soon- i think that is where we will end up vacationing. I noticed from a previous post you live in Seattle - so do we.. hello neighbor
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hi right back at ya, neighbor.

If I could ever tear myself away from Vallarta, and wanted to go to the 'other side'... I'd go to Playa del Carmen instead of Cancun.

But personally I'd go to PV before either of those, because Puerto Vallarta has an amazing ambience imo.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM

PV is fun. We went there last year. You will see more people from the western states in PV and more midwest and east coast people in the Yucatan. The water is rougher and not as clear in PV as it is in the Yucatan. Crystal clear azure water.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Been to both - and PV many times. I think Vallarta just has more charm. And Suze can tell you all about the great restaurants.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM

While I agree PV is a charming town the beach and ocean in Cancun are unbeatable - white sand and turquoise water. Absolutely stunning.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM

if you gave me the choice, I'd have to pick Cancun, though I think PV is wonderful, too, so you can't make a mistake, IMO. (though the beach in Cancun isn't as beautiful as it was before hurricane Wilma swept through in Oct. 05)
The ocean in Cancun is stunning and there are some wonderful resorts and restaurants, lots to see and visit in the area.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM

The water in Cancun is so beautiful. My preference when choosing beaches is always Carribean for the beautiful water and white sand. There are many areas of Cancun that are not as built up and very peaceful. Enjoy!