Cancun or Puerto Vallarta?

May 13th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Cancun or Puerto Vallarta?

Where would you suggest taking two single daughters ages 23 and 25 years for a vacation? We have a choice of Mayan Palace in PV, NV, or Cancun (Mayan Riviera), as we bought a mini-timeshare when we were in PV last January. Yes, I know we should let them go without us, but we've never been anywhere like this on a vacation together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
May 13th, 2003, 04:44 PM

No contest, PV all the way.
Not Nuevo Vallarta, it's a tourist trap.
May 13th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Penny1
Penny ,Cancun is the jewelof Mexico. It has the blue/green water because it faces the Caribbean Sea and not the Pacific ocean like PV does.
The night life for your daughters is about the same in both places.
The climate is about the same, I mean once it gets over 85 what difference does it make.
You are on the West side of downtown Cancun and near some tourist places like Telum Ruins.
If you do go to Cancun, try to see Chichen Itza ( and climb all 91 steps to the top!!)
This does not mean that PV is not nice but the white sand beach and the blue/green warm water of Cancun is just nicer than the beach in PV.
Have a nice time
Percy
May 13th, 2003, 07:07 PM

The beach and ocean are more beautiful at Cancun being on the Caribbean side. Besides that, it is a 100% resort destination, developed and built by the Mexican government to promote tourism. High-rise, plastic, Disney-esque.

Puerto Vallara is an authentic, charming, lovely, old Mexican town with friendly local people. Although staying out in Nuevo Vallarta you will find it (unfortunately) more similar to a Cancun environment. But at least you have the opportunity for a taste of 'real' PV, if you leave the resort and take a taxi or local bus into El Centro (downtown).
May 13th, 2003, 10:03 PM

I would definitely suggest Cancun, if you've already been to Puerto Vallarta. Besides, I'm not sure how the recovery from last year's hurricane has gone. Puerto Vallarta is beautiful in its authenticy, but Cancun is in the carribean and has incredible cultural sites you can visit with your daughters.
May 13th, 2003, 10:40 PM

Puerto Vallarta, no question.

The Cancun Mayan Palace is nowhere near Cancun. It's miles south on highway 307, inconvenient to everything and geared only towards the unadventurous souls who never plan to leave the hotel and who really REALLY Like paying a lot for their mufflers.

Ditto with Nuevo Vallarta. Small "community" a good 10-20 miles from anything cool. You'll be forever trying to figure out the buses or paying way too much for the llllooooonnnnggggg trip into PVR. In Vallarta, the town is the magic. Nuevo Vallarta makes it hard to experience that.

Just my 2 cents...
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
May 14th, 2003, 03:59 AM

Been to Cancun twice, PV too many times to remember. PV is my preference without hesitation. Cancun has better beaches and water, but that's the only advantage in my opinion. There is good nightlife in both places, but Cancun has no Mexican "feel" to it. Downtown PV has a charm like no other (hopefully you felt that way when you were there last January). My first trip to PV was with my parents when I was in my early 20s and I had a great time and was instantly hooked on PV. I also agree with staying at Mayan in PV instead of NV. NV is too far away from downtown. Have fun!
May 14th, 2003, 10:00 AM

I misread the original post that you have one hotel choice actually IN Puerto Vallarta... take that one!!

For 2kidsLove, PV is recovered just fine from the hurricane with the exception of a couple particular hotels (Sheraton).
May 14th, 2003, 11:42 AM

How important IS the beach to you and your daughters? If beautiful, clear blue/green warm caribbean water and white sand beach is what you're looking for, Cancun has the others beat hands down. As for culture and things 'Mexico', downtown Cancun, away from the hotel zone has that and is NOT too far away. You can also take a ferry over to Isla Mujeres for a day of stunning beaches and mexican culture.
May 14th, 2003, 09:18 PM

I'd have to agree. If the beach is the *ONLY* thing you are interested in, then by all means, head to the location in Cancun.

But I stand by my statement that the Mayan Palace is woefully inconvenient to Cancun itself. If things like sightseeing, shopping, nightlife, dining, activities, etc. are at *ALL* important (and I imagine they would be for two young women), then of the 3 named Mayan Palace locations, Puerto Vallarta is best.

My complaint with the Cancun Mayan Palace is largely the same problem that savvy travellers face with MOST of the "Mayan Riviera" hotels. You're stuck out in the middle of BFE.

Naturally, the hotels *like* this situation because you're stuck in THEIR hotel, paying far too much to eat in THEIR mediocre restaurants while paying big bucks for drinks at THEIR bars, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

May 15th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Cancun is extremely touristy. You are surrounded by large buildings, hotels, and every American chain restaurant you can imagine. It is like being in your own country, but surrounded by a beautiful beach. The beach quality if amazing, the water warm, and the color of the water gorgeous.

Puerto Vallarta is less touristy, although it is no small town. It is easier to get around in because the shopping is centrally located, whereas it is spread out in Cancun. But the beach is rocky, too murky and full of waves to really enjoy. We snorkeled with the sharks and went to the beach once, but otherwise spent the time in our pool since the beach quality was crummy.

We love both cities, and I am sure which ever one you pick you will throughly enjoy.

By the way, if you do go to Puerto Vallarta, there is a cool restaurant the next town over (via bus) that is in the mountains, built around a waterfall and pond. I think it is called El Eden. It is where they filmed Terminator and the crashed helpicopter is still there. It is a great experience if you decide to go.

Jenny
May 21st, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It looks like it will be PV. Has anyone actually stayed in the Mayan Palace in PV. We didn't like not having a balcony at the Mayan Palace in NV. I agree that you can't beat PV for authenticity. My husband and I loved it when we were there last January. We especially liked Bucerias. We missed going to Rincon de Guayabitos (sorry if mispelt), but will be sure to go next time. Sayalita, as well.
May 21st, 2003, 07:06 PM

for Penny, you got the hard one (Rincon de Guayabitos) and missed the easy one (Sayulita)!

You might check over on www.puertovallarta.net and go to their Bulletin Board (under bright blue menu choices over on the left side). Lots of posters there who stay at the various PV resort hotels.