Search

Guadalajara

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guadalajara

I am planning a trip from Mazatlan to Guadalajara next week and wondered if anyone living there could tell me about the violence we have been hearing about. Is it safe in the downtown areas and surrounding small towns ?? Thank you for any information you can lend me.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Guadalajara and surrounding towns are very safe. Just take the same precautions you would anywhere else - but most of the crime is just petty/ crimes of opportunity. You'll have a wonderful time!! I just love Guadalajara, there is nothing better than walking from the beautiful cathedral to the cultural buildings to see the Orozco paintings, stopping by the market for a plastic bag of "agua de jamaica" (hibiscus water, sweetened and refreshing) while watching the families in the square. Amazing how sweet and simple life still seems there in the public squares - the babies chasing balloons and pigeons, young couples walking hand in hand.
Be sure to eat at "el Sacremonte" when you are there!!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...do you live in Guadalajara? What is this we have been reading about the bus and train bombings ??
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM

I don't live there any more, but still have friends who are there. Some degree of violence is to be expected in any large city, but I've heard nothing new from any friends.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure others may correct me with better info, but no trains or buses have been bombed. Other than the Tequila Express and Copper Canyon train I don't think there's even any passenger trains operating in Mexico any longer. Metros don't count. There was, however, a recent roadblock near Chapala in Jalisco State. Maybe a bus was involved, or even burned, but not bombed. If the DTO's block the highway, a few cars might get set afire, but bombed, no. I know that might not seem like much comfort, but there is a difference. All that said, you're probably safer driving in Mexico on an ice-free road than you are driving in a blizzard on I-whatever in the states.