Safety of Driving Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to SM de A next spring. There are frequent flights from LA to Mexico City but from there to the airport in Leon flights are few and expensive. Then its an hour or so from the airport to SMdeA.
Do you think its safe to rent a car in Mexico City and drive (during the day) to San Miguel?
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:30 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "safe". Traffic in the Mexico City area is horrendous, the worst I've seen anywhere, although it probably improves once you get outside the MC outskirts.

You may want to consider taking a bus. From MC there are direct "first class" buses that go to either SM or to Queretero. (From Queretero you could take a taxi the rest of the way to SM), or even rent a car there, if you will be needing one in SM.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM

We've always flown into Leon from Houston so can't help with first-hand info on the drive from MC to SMdA. The people I know who did this seemed to think it was OK once you got past the MC traffic. If by 'safe' you mean hi-jackings etc then it's safe.

I would just mention that SMdA looks like a difficult town to drive in. There are over 100,000 people with zero traffic lights (at least last time I was there). Many streets are very narrow (so narrow pedestrians have to turn side-ways and press against the wall when delivery trucks pass by), many one-way streets, cobblestones instead of pavement, some very steep streets ... etc. A town that's great for walking but problematic for a tourist driving, I think. But a very enjoyable place to visit.

Bill
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We have driven multiple times from MC to SMdA and as stated by others, traffic in MC is awful, but once you navigate your way out of the city, its a nice drive to SMdA. Safety has never been a problem or concern as long as one drives during daylight. In SMdA, we've pretty much parked our car and driven little if any within SMdA except to get to to other places we visited.
If you're not going to be travelling elswhere I agree that taking the bus to SMdA is easy, not expensive and a very good option to consider.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM

I would recommend the bus system rather than driving. If you use the Executivo (pronounced a heck you tivo) or Primera Plus (Pre mara Ploos) class the ride will be great and amazingly cheap. The good busses are only 10 to 20 percent more than second class busses and usually have videos, snacks and a stewardess.

The busses are too slow to get to Mexico DF from LA. Once in the area, the busses are great.

The bus stations are like our airports with many competing brands. You can get your ticket there or at a travel agent in town. When you arrive at the station, pay close attention to where and when you need to board your bus.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM

I know it is a little late but there is a nonstop flight from LA to BJX on American.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM

Flying to Queretaro is another option not mentioned. Driving would be a crazy endeavor that is not worth the trouble