Mexico City -- without anxiety?

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City -- without anxiety?

My partner and I spend 6 days in Mexico City in Nov last year.

I absolutely loved it. It was so dynamic, so cool, so ancient, so stylish, so delicious. We were there over Dia de Los Muertos and ate in many excellent restaurants, including Izote and Contramar.

I speak a fair amount of Spanish, but my partner, who is a big white dude, doesn't. We only took taxis called by our hotel or the restaurant we were visiting, otherwise I mostly walked and once or twice took the bus (subway was too crowded for me). We felt scared a lot of the time.

I would really love to go back for a longer stay, but don't know where to start to get a better handle on how to avoid trouble.

If anyone has suggestions about neighborhoods, taxi strategies, guides, etc. Or any other personal insight on how to travel in Mexico City safely, they would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What was it exactly that made you feel "scared a lot of the time"? I can't tell from your post.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Maybe it was so much of what we'd heard ahead of time. One woman I know was car-jacked in a taxi while visiting, another friend was mugged and beat up in a market.

Maybe it was a normal amount of haggling in the taxis -- which wouldn't have worried us in another city, but because we were warned so much before visiting to be careful.

But like I said, I know perhaps 10 people who've been and two have had scary personal experiences.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM

Lets see. You spent 6 days without a single problem but are still worried because of stories you have heard?
Al I can say is in 26 years of Mexican travel I have never felt fear or been a victim of a crime. In fact I have yet to see an act of Violence committed by a Mexican National. I have however seen 100s committed by US Citizens, in fact in almost every US city I have been in.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I still don't understand. If you enjoyed the city and had a good trip I don't know why you were afraid. Or if it is because of things that happened to other people, why you went in the first place.

That said, Mexico City is HUGE and I'm sure can be intimidating.

Maybe for your next trip to Mexico try one of the colonial mountain cities which would be smaller, more manageable, and less "scary" factor? I'm thinking someplace like Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende. Smaller gentler places.

I think what you experienced in the DF is how many would feel on a first trip to NYC. Overwhelmed and out of their element, not sure what to expect.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't get why haggling with taxi's is such a big deal.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Suze, for responding to my question.

Two people I know who speak decent Spanish were...1) hijacked at gunpoint in a taxi; 2) beaten up (strangled) and mugged in a market in full public view.

Then I read about things like beheadings in Cuajimalpa.

These things are not as common in NYC.

Let me clarify my question...for those who have lived in Mexico City and DO feel safe, what neighborhoods do you like the best? Which forms of transportation do you use the most? Do you avoid any places or ways of dressing for safety's sake?

Also, our Internet service there was very slow. We could not use Skype, for example. Are there any neighborhoods known to have faster Internet?

And maybe we will look into Guanajuato. I've heard it's a lovely city with good food and an interesting history.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Mexico City is among the largest cities in the World. Far larger than any US city. Would you expect less violence? Still it is very unusual to affect tourists.
I personally love it but also Guanajuato, in fact I will be spending the month of January in Guantajuato BUT Violence can happen even in that peaceful,prosperous & handsome city.
I am wondering with all due respect if perhaps Mexican travel is not the best choice for you?
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I spent a few days in Mexico City this past Memorial Day weekend. I loved it and actually felt pretty safe. We walked a lot and took taxis from the hotel. It is a huge city and we only scratched the surface (or not even) but I really didn't feel that it was particularly dangerous. We stayed at the Galeria Plaza Reforma in the Zona Rosa. I was a little concerned about that area before we arrived but it was actually nicely located. I probably would have been a little more intimidated if we didn't have a friend with us who is Mexican (although not from Mexico City) but that has more to do with the size and number of people there more than from any particular unsafe feeling.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Neighborhoods in Mexico City I would recommend for you are Condesa, San Angel, Coyoacan.

The subway is just fine if you don't use it during rush hour. I used the subway and the Insurgentes surface line when I wasn't walking. I don't like taxis anywhere so did not use them in Mexico City. You don't really need them.

I will say that if the city scares you, just find another destination!
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Agree with Robertino. if the city scares you, perhaps find another destination in Mexico. You can go to Yucatan. Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Merida, and many more.

Isla Mujeres
http://jbilangel.wordpress.com/2012/...ujeres-mexico/

Playa del Carmen
http://jbilangel.wordpress.com/2012/...carmen-mexico/