Costa Rica - Please review itinerary

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica - Please review itinerary

Please give thoughts on an itinerary we are considering that will allow for visits to 2 coffee plantations with which my husband does business

Dec 26 Arrive SJO 8pm pick up car and go to Marriott for the night
Dec 27 Drive via Mill in Orosi Valley for visit and then on 2 spend 2 nights at Tayutic Hacienda (please suggest activities from there - rafting? volcano?)
Dec 29 Drive via flatlands to Peace Lodge and spend 2 nights (please suggest priority activities - this place was recommended to us) Waterfalls? Poas?
DEc 31 Drive to close to Arenal for 2 nights - had wanted the Springs but is fully booked - any similar quality properties with volcano views - please recommend. Zip lines?
Jan 2 Drive back to close to SJO, will be visiting coffee mill just north of SJO but wondering about spending last 2 nights on coast? Puntarenas? How long is drive from coast to SJO please? Our flight on Jan 4 is at 340.

Thanks for thoughts and if any know approz driving times for different legs of journey
Julie
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 05:34 AM

I would probably take the hotel shuttle the evening I arrived and pick up the rental car the next morning.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM

While you're at the Peace Lodge, you can do the waterfall hike to see the 5 beautiful waterfalls, visit all the exhibits like the aviary, butterfly house, etc., handfeed the hummingbirds and do the nocturnal frog tour. You can also visit Poas and do the Doka Coffee Estate tour; we did those as a combo. The Springs is a beautiful resort in the Arenal area - I think it's probably the priciest one around. We have also stayed at Nayara and the Lost Iguana and enjoy those; Nayara is probably close to being "fancy" if that's what you're looking for; the Lost Iguana is more rustic and gives you that jungly experience. Both have nice volcano views. Sky Trek is nice for ziplining.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM

I meant to add good luck finding a place to stay; a lot of these places book up months in advance for the holidays unfortunately. I would suspect that a lot of them will be full. Hope you find your spot.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the one near Tayutic I preferred is booked, as is Springs. Peace Lodge have availability and I am waiting to hear from Hacienda Tayutic. I know there is choice in La Fortuna area so, even if we have to go cheap and cheerful we will find a bed and will look at your suggestions Volcangirl - thanks
Any suggestions for coast near SAn Jose (Punta Arenas) and a place to stay please?
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM

If you don't need fancy, then you could check out Silencio del Campo as well. It always gets good reviews and has its own springs. I'm not familiar with Punta Arenas so hopefully someone else will chime in on that.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 07:07 AM

there are plenty of hotel options in Arenal. Silencio de Campo is a good and popular choice. There are plenty of others, so you shouldn't have problems there.

In the Turrialba area, if Tayautic is full, next best option is Casa Turire. After that there are a few other options, as well as many budget/backpacker type places.

From SJO, count on 2 hours to Turrialba, maybe 2:20 from Marriott. From SJO to coast (either Jaco or Puntarenas) via new highway, w/ no traffic, around an hour and 15 minutes, give or take.

Heredia, Alajuela and hotels like Finca Rosa Blanca or Xandari should also be on your radar.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

WE opted for Rancho Margot who were very helpful, had to compromise on no volcano view, but had called 6 places and no availability so am just thankful to have a decent place!
We found one room for one night at Villa Florenciana in Turrialba -- so we have had to modify our itinerary a bit, but it should all work. We will spend last 2 nights at Marriott Los Suenos before heading back, so we should have a fairly easy return to SJO for 15:40 flight
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, especially driving times, most helpful!