Search

Driving in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Mexico

Me and my husband want to visit colonial cities in Mexico. How it is like driving a car?
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't drive, so I don't know, but I'd like to say that if you are hesitant about driving, the bus system is excellent and covers pretty much everywhere.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM

It depends on what colonial cities you are planning to visit. That would determine if you need a car or not, and what it is like driving between and in those particular cities.
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:36 AM

you stay between the lines just like you do at home.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM
kja

Depends on where you'll be traveling!

Beware of "topes" - various types of bumps in the road to slow you down. Some are quite high, some come in sets, and (depending on the light) many are extremely difficult to see in advance.

I don't know where you are coming from, but I know that some of the rules of the road in Mexico were VERY different than the rules in the US and I was very glad to have read about them in my travel guide books before I went. I haven't been there since 2008, so I wouldn't dare to guess whether any of the rules have changed. I recommend that you get a good guidebook and study those sections.
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:24 AM

the yucatan is very safe.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Here in the Bajio, it is the custom in many cities for drivers to follow the "uno por uno" rule where you yield to others waiting to cross or turn to take their turns. Stop signs are generally ignored unless there is oncoming traffic. The 2 lane highways are lots of fun; they turn into 3 (or sometimes 4 lane) where the shoulder allows it. You're expected to move to the shoulder so that the car behind you can straddle the center line to pass. Oncoming traffic is expected to yield as well. Lots of livestock grazing next to highways, usually they're tied up. Lots of dead dogs. Lots of pedestrian traffic and bikes. Signage is not always very clear. Stay to the right on 4 lane unless you're passing. Don't be passive; lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:33 PM

Hello,
I live in a colonial city, PUEBLA, and driving a car around downtown where most of the atractions are is not a good idea.Lots of trafic.

Most of Mexican Colonial cities, have all that is worth seeing Downtown. What I would do is rent the car to transfer between cities and leave the car parked at the hotel. Some cities have double decked buses that will take you to the main attractions.

You should drive in toll roads only !!! Very safe and fast. No bumps and "topes" on these highways. A little bit expensive but it is worth your peace of mind. Central Mexico is very safe to drive (MEXICO CITY, QUERETARO, PUEBLA) and also GUANAJUATO, SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
Most of the roads have lots of curves, so they are not boring at all!
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:29 PM

All of the towns and cities mentioned in the post immediately above are easily reached by 1st class busses. Much wiser and less expensive than renting a car, which you do not need to do.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 06:10 AM

I second emd3's post. Take the bus or, if you drive, take full insurance.