Getting to El Calafate from BA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip for 1 month in Argentina this summer and plan to explore most of the north, however, I'm very excited to see Perito Moreno Glacier in El Calafate. Months ago, I checked on flights and there were plenty at about $250 R/T. Tonight, I find none for the dates I am planning to go and the few that are available at all are $600-700 USD. It's a really long haul if not done by air, and after enduring some very long bus rides in the north, I'm not sure I'll be wanting to travel that far if I'm not able to by plane. Help!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM

bmarie85: you mean the northern hemisphere summer, which is OUR winter?

If so, while it is a very good time to visit Iguazú and our North-West, it is NOT a very good time to go very far South, unless you are into winter sports.

Please tell us your tentative travel dates, to enable us to advise you better.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
Yes, I do enjoy winter sports and was planning for the cold weather there during our summer (US). I really was looking forward to seeing the glacier, but from the looks of things, I might be better off just going to Bariloche for skiing, etc. I'm simply a bit disappointed to miss Perito Moreno It's not the end of the world, no pun intended, but was something that seemed pretty incredible to see. Thanks!

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Marie: you don't have to go as far South as Bariloche for great and affordable skiing in our country.

I would suggest starting with the Iguazú Falls, then Salta and our NW and then Mendoza. Research the "Las Leñas" ski resort.

If you are on a budget, you can do it all by overnight buses, also saving on lodging.

Try to avoid our winter school holidays period.

Anyway, you'll have a great time in our country.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM

I too am planning a trip to Calafate in May to see the perito moreno glacier. Do you think it is worth it to see it at this time? I am only going to have 2-3 days and the cost is about $1400.
Any ideas on a cheaper alternative?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM

cbeangal:

I'm not sure about the weather in Calafate in May. I would try to go during our late spring or summer.

Try asking the question on the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum, where there are more people knowledgeable about our South.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:30 PM

bmarie85 and cbeangal

air tickets to the glaciers are NO more than 250 u$s.

Accommodation in top places is high. but there are other options where you can enjoy some days without breaking the bank.

Argentina is still a country everybody
can visit & enjoy even w9ith a tight budget.

Buses are a good way to save but wouldnt recommend them for patagonia
distances.

Regards,
milla
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Thanks, avrooster, you are a wealth of information.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM

You are welcome, cbeangal.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help! I have decided to just do Bariloche, which I am sure is beautiful and I can ski there. Perito Moreno will have to wait until next time. Oh, and Milla- believe me, flights ARE more than $250; because of the time of year we are traveling, they are infrequent, limited and expensive- that is what put me in this predicament In any case, we'll be doing lots of time in BsAs, seeing some friends in Córdoba, then onto Mendoza, Salta, Tilcara(Jujuy), Iguazú and Bariloche- guess I can't complain ¡Estoy muy emocionada de visitar la Argentina!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I suggest you e-mail milla, who is an extremely knowledgeable travel agent, about the cost of the tickets to Calafate.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM

bmarie85,just as avrooster mentioned previously you don't need to go to Bariloche if you want to ski. If you will be visiting friends in Mendoza i wouldn't doubt to ski in Las Leñas! You will save the time and money of travelling to Bariloche and you will certainly ski much more because the resort is right next to the skiing area and from what I've heard it is an excellent place to ski.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Angie and AVRooster,
Actually, we had planned for 3-4 days in El Calafate, and now that they are opened up, we'd like to see something extra, which is the reason we're going to Bariloche. The lake region was something had cut out in order to see Perito Moreno, but now we've added it back in. Our friends in Córdoba had mentioned going to Las Leñas as well, and I've read it's quite popular, so I might also ski there. I appreciate the input from both of you. I have been on the aerolíneasargentinas website, which charges US citizens more for flights than residents- perhaps that is why the price is so high. Milla, if you read this, could you e-mail at [email protected] with any info that could be helpful regarding flights to Bariloche and/or El Calafate? Muchísimas gracias
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM

You can e-mail milla at the address indicated in her post. I only know her electronically, but she has always been quite helpful in this forum.

As a travel agent, she is, of course, fully aware of the fact that Aerolíneas charges more to foreigners.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks AVRooster,
In my haste at work, I missed seeing her e-mail!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:11 PM

bmarie
It is important to know exactly when you are coming,in your summer or ours?
I see now you were referring to our winter.
Low rates tickets for May June and July have gone but there is always a chance of getting a cancellation.
Even with a higher rate available in those months, the cost will never be the one you mentioned.

BUENOS AIRES - CALAFATE - BUENOS AIRES high rate ticket U$S 400 round ticket

Combining the 2 places you will pay
BUENOS AIRES - CALAFATE
CALAFATE - BARILOCHE
BARILOCHE - BUENOS AIRES
each pax U$S 720 high rate round ticket, available for tourists who arrive by other than AR.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

hi again milla,
thanks for your help. we are planning on flying august 14 and returning to BsAs on august 17. how do i go about finding better deals than the ones on the aerolineas website? i found round trip to bariloche for about $320, but calafate is still sky high, the few that are available. any suggestions for reserving flights other than on the website? by the way, i'm arriving in argentina through another airline from peru- lan air,so i won't qualify for the discount. thanks again