Need last minute help before June trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for everyone's advice/help in my previous posts. Just getting anxious because there is so much to see.

Planning on flying into Liberia the staying in Papagayo for 4 nights then going to Peace Lodge for 3 night then fly out of San Jose. (FLight is done and booked)

My question is- am I missing out on not going to Manuel Antonio? One of the main goals of the trip is to see wildlife (monkeys, monkeys, monkeys) and will I be missing this based on my itinerary? I know I can always go back a second time but dont want to miss out on an CR expereince. Will I be able to see this type of wildlife at PEace Lodge?

Any help is much appreciated!!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM

While in the Papagayo area, take a day trip up to Rincon de la Vieja. I think you'll see plenty of monkeys there. It's a very beautiful area. You can do what is called a Mega/Combo tour that includes ziplines, mudbaths, maybe that huge waterslide down the mountain, maybe horseback, not sure. It includes lunch. We did something very similar a few years ago, but not that exact thing.

No, you aren't missing out that much. While pretty, Manuel Antonio is actually one of my least favorite areas (although I always enjoy time there). So much to see and do in CR and Guanacaste (where you'll be) is certainly a highlight for most people. You can visit again and see Manuel Antonio, and this. . .and that. . .and this, . . .and that! The list goes on and all--all wonderful!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much...u made me feel much better. Will check out Rincon- just wated to make sure I was going to see my monkeys!! Will be sure to post pics- almost 6 weeks away
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Shillmac definitely knows her stuff when it comes to Costa Rica. She won't lead you astray!

That said, we did see lots and lots of monkeys in Manuel Antonio (3 different species) along with sloths, coatis and other various critters and birds! We really loved MA, but didn't have much to compare it to as this was our first visit to CR.

This December, we are going to the Osa Peninsula and perhaps will be spoiled for pristine forest and wildlife viewing forever after.

Rincon de la Vieja sounds like an interesting place as well. Obviously lots of people are quite smitten with Guanacaste in general, so I bet you'll have a wonderful time at Papagayo!

Peace Lodge was great and the La Paz gardens are just gorgeous. Sounds like you have a nice itinerary and if you are anything like most of the people who post here, this won't be your last trip to CR (so you can visit MA next time).
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM

cmerrell is absolutely correct in that, within 3 hours of San Jose, Manuel Antonio is absolutely the BEST place to see plenty of monkeys as well as a fair variety of other "good stuff". No doubt about it.

I just wanted to reassure you a bit. I think one of the reasons we have always been so fond of Guanacaste is that it was there where we first "fell in love" with CR! It's cowboy (sabanero) country, much like our home state (s) of Texas and Oklahoma.

In many visits to CR, we've always had to forego something we have really wanted to do in favor of a different plan equally exciting. Under those circumstances, it's hard to experience any regrets! This particular summer I am spending a total of 6 weeks there and have had to put rafting the Pacuare on the shelf (yet again) as well as visits down to Zancudo and Pavones. Shelved them in favor of returning to a few places we just HATE to miss year after year! Flamingo area, Savegre, to name a couple. . .

We visited 4 times before we ever made it to Manuel Antonio. 9 times before we got to Monteverde, 11 times before finally making it to Tortuguero. I do think we are a little "odd" in that respect, as we spend more time than most revisiting our favorites.

Flying into Liberia and out of SJO, you already have a good plan. If you really want to visit MA, then you can easily do that. Drive down there on your 5th day (leave about 7:00), arriving by noon. You'll have the afternoon for the beach, early the next a.m. for the park, another p.m. on the beach or alternate activity such as mangrove tour or horseback riding.

Get outta there early again headed for Peace Lodge (by 8:00 a.m.), arriving about noon. You'll have an entire afternoon to enjoy Peace Lodge with a fantastic last night's luxury hotel stay, then home you fly. It's SO do-able. I think 3 nights Peace Lodge is too much anyway.

4 nights Papagayo, 2 nights MA, last night Peace Lodge. What all did you have planned for those 3 Peace Lodge nights? Not that there isn't plenty to do in the central valley area to entertain you nicely for a couple of days, but how badly do you want to see LOTS of monkeys? You can certainly adjust your itinerary in this direction. My point of view, you're still gonna have a GREAT time--either way. Heck of a deal. . .!

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Shillmac,

All I can say is that I hope to follow in your footsteps and someday have the great knowledge about the different regions of CR that you have!

Lmsiegel,

You are bound to have a great time whatever you decide!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

cmerrell and Shillmac- cant thank you enough for your help! I'll discuss the MA sidetrip with my boyfriend- the problem is he's not very good with packing and unpacking and renting a car and driving- so we may have to stick with the original plan but it's good to know I still may be able to swtich. Agree about 3 nights at Peace Lodge may be too long- was planning on just relaxing the 1st night, going to a nearby restaurant called Colberts (i think) the 2nd and just realxing on our 3rd and last night there

But you are all right- either way I'm sure we'll have the best time and I will probably be back over and over again just like everyone does after they have had a taste of Costa Rica! Now I am even more excited!!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks, cmerrell, but my knowledge is pretty darned basic. My powers of observation are not strong and details often escape me! And then, of course, you have to remember that I know very little of other parts of the world!

lmsiegel, your boyfriend's tolerance for a lot of moving around is certainly something to consider. Everyone needs to have a good time! Peace Lodge will be a gorgeous place to relax those last 3 days. There are many places within an hour or so that you can enjoy, not to mention the grounds. Colbert's was excellent. Did you see my review to the 2 wines we particularly enjoyed there? If not, let me know, I'll post them again. Must've been the atmosphere, etc., but they sure hit the spot!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shillmac- i just tried to look for your wine recco at Colberts. Would love to hear...BTW- do u think the food at Peace Lodge is as bad as everyone says? People seemed to hate it. I'm not going to costa rica for the food so shouldnt be a major issue but people sure do get upset about it
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:23 PM

lmsiegel,

We ate dinner at Peace Lodge the night we stayed there. I thought it was decent, but a bit pricey. We quite enjoyed the breakfast buffet that's included in the room price. The buffet is served out on a beautiful terrace that overlooks the La Paz grounds. Wonderful, natural ambience!

All in all, I would have to say that our favorite lunch/dinner meals were at the cheapest places we ate. Most of the hotels had fancier menus and meal presentation, but the Soda fare was the tastiest stuff we had.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I'd definitely agree with that. It's true for us as well, nearly always. Very hard to beat arroz con pollo or a casado!