Itinerary Help - 15 days August

Old May 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help - 15 days August

Hi All -

My husband and I - early 30s - just booked our flight to Costa Rica via San Jose! This will be are first trip to CR, so we are very excited!
We could really use some itineary and accomodation suggetions!

Our interests include hiking around/to rain and cloud forests,volcanos,waterfalls, goin to a hot springs, canopy tour, white water rafting, surfing, snorkeling, etc.

We definitely want to hit Arenal 4-5 days, and Manuel Antonio for at least 3. We don't want to feel rushed, so we want to stay at each place for at least 3 nights.

I was hoping to also go to Monteverde, but from what I read it seems hard to get to...also wanted to check out Corcovado National Park to get off the beaten path but one the books said trails are bad in the rainy season. Are there any other alternatives?

We would like to end our trip w/ some R&R beach time. DH's die-hard surfer friend recommended Dominical, but DH likes happy smaller waves 4-5 feet and wasn't sure if this is the surfing spot for us. I just want somewhere to snorkel...Anyone have any comments on this?

I'd like to keep our budget to $3,000 (this includes transporation w/in the country)...we would skimp on accomodations if that meant being able to rent kayaks and white water raft...We aren't fancy people, but do enjoy the occasional pampering, (normally like to do this at the end of the trip by keeping best accomodations for the end of the trip.)

What's the best way to travel? We were thinking of renting a 4x4. does anyone know how much that would cost for 2 weeks? Or are we better of doing public transporation.

Sorry for being long winded and for all the questions! Any input would be totally appreciated!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Good for you! I think I'd save Corcovado for another time; believe me, you'll want to return and see more!

Arenal definitely good for at least 3 nights. Manuel Antonio the same. Also, I'd suggest your first overnight in San Jose, followed by white water on the Pacuare the next day. It would require your first 2 nights in SJO. Check out:

www.riotropicales.com
www.aventurasnaturales.com

At the end of your trip, I'd suggest Peace Lodge for 2 nights. I do know they are booking right now for August. We tried to change an accomodation 2 weeks ago for the first week of August and were only able to change one of the nights. So you need to check right away. For waterfalls, wonderfully luxurious rooms, and lots of other attractions, this would be a great way to end (or begin) a trip. You could do it first and save the Pacuare white water for last if you'd prefer, maybe based on availability at Peace Lodge, which is on the La Paz Waterfalls Gardens property.

Arenal and Manuel Antonio are pretty equidistant to SJO, doesn't matter what order you do them in, both about 3 hours from the airport and 5-6 hours between the 2.

So if you have Peace Lodge and the Pacuare trip on the front end and back end of your vacation, that's 4 nights. Put 3-4 at Arenal, 3 at Manuel Antonio, and you have about 4 left over.

So you just need your surfing location. I'd suggest one of these areas:

Malpais, southern Nicoya (a little out of the way, thus more time-consuming with regard to travel time, but a great location).

Tamarindo area, about 4 hours from Manuel Antonio, 5 from San Jose. In that area, you'll find several surfing beaches.

Playa Nosara, about 3.5-4 hours from Manuel Antonio, the same from San Jose (I think the waves for gentler here and it gets a lot of very good reviews--probably would be my pick).

So an itinerary that looks something like this might work for you:

1st 2nd nights--San Jose
Raft Rio Pacuare day 1.
(Hotel Don Carlos 2 nights and rafting will run you about $400)

Transfer to Arenal day 3.

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th nights Arenal
Cano Negro day trip, ziplines, Hanging Bridges, La Fortuna waterfall, hot springs, etc. Great area. The spa at Tabacon Hot Springs is fabulous!
4 nights Arenal, $360, activities $200, spa $250.

Day 7--transfer to Manuel Antonio

7th, 8th, 9th nights--Manuel Antonio
Finca Valmy horseback to waterfall
Damas Mangrove tour
Manuel Antonio National Park (closed on Mondays)
3 nights Costa Verde Studio Plus room $400, activities $300

Day 10 transfer to Nosara

10, 11, 12th nights, Playa Nosara
surfing
Lodging and surfing $400

Day 13--transfer to Peace Lodge

13th, 14th, nights--Peace Lodge
Day 15 transfer to SJO (one hour) for flight home. Hotel $550.

4X4 for 2 weeks will run you about $700 for a small version, closer to $800-$900 for larger. We always use Tricolor (near the airport).

www.tricolorcarrental.com

Now this is running a little over $3000 and that doesn't include food, departure tax, incidentals, souvenirs, etc.

Can you come up with the extra $$? If so, try to do it! Peace Lodge at the end is your splurge. It's great. You won't be sorry.

The other hotels are all moderately priced, between $80 and $125. The activities are a big part of the expense, but you don't want to omit them--that's why you are going. All are truly exciting and worthy of your time. You'll remember this trip for years.

But you really need a budget between $4000 and $4500. You could certainly skimp a bit more on accomodations, but I don't think it would shave off that much. The big expenses are the activities and the car rental. For the areas you will be traveling to, you MIGHT get by without a 4X4; in that case a small sedan like a Sentra would run you about $400 for the 2 weeks. All the roads are decent, but the one to Nosara could give you problems. Check around about that. . .

If you want to skip Peace Lodge, stay instead at nearby Poas Volcano Lodge and go into the hotel on a daypass for $40 each. That will help a little, but gee, what a great splurge you'll give up!

Hope this helps a bit. Save Monteverde for your next trip also. You can't do EVERYTHING you'd like to do in just 2 weeks. Enjoy planning and have a great time! We'll be there in August as well. . .will probably meet you somewhere and not know it!

Old May 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM

2nd paragraph from end. I didn't mean to say "go into the hotel on a daypass"--meant to say "go onto the waterfall property on a daypass". Butterfly obvervatory, serpentarium, ranario (frogs), avario (birds, lots!), hummingbird gallery, big cats area, trout pond, hiking trails, etc. all included. If you stay at the hotel, you have this property to yourself to do whatever you want whenever you want. . .
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

shillmac -

Thanks so much for all your input! It's all so helpful. I just looked up Peace Lodge, it looks absolutely fantastic and would be a great way to end our vacation!

We can definitely do $4K, if that means we can get to do most of the activities. If we had to skip out on one of the following: rafting trip, Cano Negro day trip, Finca Valmy horseback to waterfall,Damas Mangrove tour, which would you exclude?

One more thing...for now our flight leaves on day 16 at 7:55 am. is it worth it to stay a Peace Lodge for a third night (price wise) or are we better of staying at a cheap hotel near the airport for our early flight?

Thanks again for ALL your help and for the swift response. I may be in touch when I start finalizing

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:17 AM

Since you have such an early morning flight, I'd stay closer to the airport on the last night - we stayed at Grano de Oro, very cute affordable boutique hotel with a great restaurant; Orquideas Inn is also popular. Peace Lodge is about an hour's drive from the airport and having to be there several hours before your flight wouldn't make staying at Peace Lodge worth it to me for the last night.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM

A lot to talk about here. It depends on what you are looking for. You are missing some of the most nature intensive areas.

If you want more nature, I would put Monteverde back in the mix. Yes, it is a bumpy road. But some of the best things in Costa Rica are only accessed by bad roads! You won't be driving anyway. If you are coming from Arenal, you could do the boat across Lake Arenal. Then the ride up the mountain is only a couple of hours. By the way, this is a gorgeous ride. Bumpy road and all.

That being said, the payoff is some very cool nature at the end of that road. There are several nature reserves in the area. This is because the nature in a cloud forest changes as the altitude changes even a little. So there is some diversity in the nature up there. Interesting community too. Small art galleries, good restaurants, alternative schools, women's art cooperative, coffee tours, horseback riding, etc.

The canopy tours were invented in Monteverde, and the best ones are found here.

You might also consider adding Tortuguero. This is a lower cost alternative to the Osa, and is a beautiful rainforest. August is turtle season, and these huge turtles are laying their eggs on the beaches up there. The lodges offer two night packages, that include food, lodging, and tours. Some of the lodges are now doing transfers to Arenal (instead of San Jose) after you leave Tortuguero, for a small charge. This would save you a night in San Jose.

We have also been combining Pacuare rafting / Tortuguero. This is a little tricky. But you can avoid the drive back to San Jose, and get in some great experiences.

So you could start in San Jose for the first night. Transfer east to go to the Pacuare / Tortuguero. Head for Arenal, then Monteverde. Finish up in the Manuel Antonio area. This puts you equidistant between Jaco and Dominical. Manuel Antonio has some surfing, but you are really here for the beaches and the nature. There are good waves in Jaco, although the town there is not very interesting. Dominical is about an hour the other way, and is also known for good surfing.

Unfortunately, Tamarindo has been experiencing some serious e coli pollution problems and this is not going to change soon. We have stopped recommending this beach until the situation improves.

I also would not worry too much about the weather. Yes, it is rainy season. It is rainy season in Costa Rica about eight months of the year! But July and August are the least rainy months of the season. It varies around the country. But you should awake to sunshine most mornings, and have clear weather until late afternoon. You want to get up early, and get going. By late afternoon you will be ready for an adult beverage and a shower before dinner.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM

I'd suggest Hotel Villa Bonita B&B for your last night. It's owned by a young Tico couple, Humberto and Carmen, very hospitable--been friends of ours for years now. We nearly always stay there--it's about $50 per night with wireless internet (and a desktop as well), TV in the rooms, bathrooms with TUBS (a rarity in CR), delicious breakfast, etc.

Sometimes when we are there, we go over to Orquideas for dinner and drinks. There is also a very good Argentine restaurant within a couple of blocks of HVB.

www.hotelvillabonita.com
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone - Thanks so much for all the great input!

I'll definitely check out both Grano de Oro and Hotel Villa Bonita B&B for the last night.

We definitely want to go the road trip route.

Shillmac - is the Pacuare rafting trip a must?

I'm thinking if I skip that then we can squeeze Monte Verde in?

How long is the drive from Arena to Monteverde.

Does this itinerary seem crazy

Drive Arenal Day 1
1st - 4th nights arenal

Drive to Monteverde - day 5
5,6 night in Monteverde

Drive to Manuel Antnio - day 7
7,8,9 night in MA

Drive to Playa? - day 10
10,11,12 night in Playa?

Drive to Peace Lodge - day 13
13,14 night peace lodge

drive to SJ - night 15
14 night in SJ

Am I cutting out to much of our precious time in Arenal?

Thanks again!
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone - so i've done a lot of research, and I've decided to stick w/ Shillmac's suggestion and skip Monteverde in favor of Peace Lodge at the end of our trip.

Shillmac- I also plan on staying at Hotel Villa Bonita B&B on the last night. Would this be a good place to stay at the beginning of the trip while doing the Rio Pacuare raft trip or should we stay in Downtown San Jose. We like the $55/hotel rate!

Thanks!