Search

Anything in between Arenal and MA?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything in between Arenal and MA?

Hi,

We will be traveling 10 days at the end of this month. We have picked out to stay 3 nights in Arenal and maybe 3-4 nights at MA. We are still undecided about Monteverde, but will be renting a 4X4. Is there anything in between these two areas that you recommend stopping at? We have made reservations for Arenal and MA and are open for 2-3 nights. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM

About an hour northish of SJO is the Peace Lodge; it's definitely worth a 2-night stay. We loved the grounds and hiking to the 5 waterfalls. The rooms are pretty indulgent and over the top.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Yes, I agree. 2 nights at Peace Lodge would be great. Explore the central valley (lots to see) from there.

BUT they are probably booked up (considering that August is already booked!). Other suggestions in this central valley area:

Vista del Valle (we loved Ilan Ilan bungalow)--about $150

Xandari (great spa, I hear)

Finca Rosa Blanca (very elegant, luxe)

You have 9 nights? Will you need to stay the first and/or last near the airport due to late/early arrival/departure times? If so, will you then only have 7-8 nights? If so, don't add another location.

If you can do 3 at Arenal, 3 at Manuel Antonio and have 3 in between, Monteverde would be a good choice.

But just know that there are a lot of nice areas to visit right in around the San Jose area, but yet out of town and in the country. Lovely areas available to you.

Oh, very close to La Paz Waterfall Gardens, check out Poas Volcano Lodge for a couple of nights.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

I arrive at 9 AM on 5/25 and depart at 7 PM on 6/3...so have 10 full days almost. Thanks for the info! Also, since we are renting a car and haven't really decided on locations besides Arenal and MA...is it safe not to make hotel reservations and just take our time exploring? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM

In May and June, probably perfectly safe. Do check on Peace Lodge, though, just in case they have availability. It is over the top expensive, but a great place to be for a couple of nights--within range of Doka Estate Coffee tour and Poas Volcano--lots to see and do on site as well.

Great travel times! Wish I could be so lucky more often.