CR Info Overload - Help!

Apr 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

CR Info Overload - Help!

Been reading a lot about Costa Rica -- plan to go in late June (my parents will be taking the kiddos!)....so just adults....want to see the volcano, magnificent sunsets, wildlife (monkeys, birds), rafting and spa! Beach would be added bonus (but lived near one for 7 years - so not necesary!) I trust you guys...any suggestions out there? I officially have information overload! Was going to book Peace Lodge and Makanda (each for about 4 days)-- then started reading about others -- eeeek!
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM

You could do a few days in Osa, then up to Arenal (Parasio gets good reviews) then to Peace Lodge for 1-2 nights. You could fly to Osa & back then rent a car or get around by a driver. How many people & how many days?
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks for quick response....just husband and I and probably for only about 8-10 days.
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM

Your original ideas are good ones. For a first visit, you can't do better than visiting Arenal and Manuel Antonio.

Plan 2 nights Arenal, 4 nights Manuel Antonio, and 2 nights Peace Lodge. The order should depend on your arrival and departure times. For example, if you get in early enough (before 2:00), go straight to Arenal, then to Manuel Antonio, ending with Peace Lodge for 2 days of relaxation in the beautiful central valley before heading home.

BUT you can't do this order if you have an early morning departure because Peace Lodge is 45 min or an hour from the airport. If you arrive late in the day AND depart early in the day, you may need to give up a night somewhere else so you can stay near the airport after arriving and before departing. Do you know your times yet?

Peace Lodge will be an excellent base for seeing Poas Volcano, La Paz (of course), perhaps visiting a coffee estate.

Arenal has the Hanging Bridges, fabulous hot springs, Canopy Tours, horseback, volcano hiking, and the volcano itself (should you get lucky) to offer. Also an excellent day trip to Cano Negro is available.

Manuel Antonio is great for those sunsets you were speaking of! You can raft the Savegre here, kayak, horseback, hike the park (with a guide for maximum wildlife viewing) and enjoy the beach.

If you are wanting some serious rafting, then drop Peace Lodge from your itinerary, stay closer to San Jose, and do the Pacuare for one day. I hear it has excellent white water and gorgeous scenery. We are hoping to raft it this summer also! Don't get too crazy with all the choices. Just choose something that sounds interesting to you and will work logistically , and you'll have a great time. You can't go wrong--it's all wonderful!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Perfect....thanks! You rock! (ha)....you just helped my confidence level ....any recs on where to stay in the arenal area?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

If you get too overwhelmed you might call Green Tropical Tours- they put together a great package for us .
We went rafting on the Reventazon River/spent 3 nights in Manuel Antonio/went to Monteverde- stayed at the Sappo Dorado)- then Arenal- spent an evening at Tabacon ( the volcano erupted while we were in the hot springs and nearly scared us to death)
Then back to San Jose for the evening and flew out the next day.

It was a very fun trip and with the help of Juan Carlos at Green Tropical - went very smoothly