Search

Fresh salads in PV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh salads in PV

Am leaving for PV Sunday morning and have been reading threads here and Fodor's PV guide which states:...if you'r not sure of a restaurant's standards, pass up ceviche, ... and don't eat any raw vegetables that haven't been, or can't be peeled (e.g., lettuce and raw chili peppers.) I can easily pass on raw chili peppers, but love lettuce and DH is a salad freak. What's your take on this? Do you avoid eating salad in Mexico? Or is this being paranoid?
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM

I eat salads in Mexico almost every day with no ill effects. You might avoid lettuce at taco stands as Pure water is not always available there but other than that do not worry.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM

My local travel clinic physician told me that lettuce can't be really sanitized, even when rinsed with purifiers, and should be avoided.

I ignore his advice and have eaten lettuce in Mexico and have never had any problems.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM

In my personal experience anyway, this advice is beginning to get out-dated. I think it was true years ago. Anymore, any clean, well frequented restaurant in a larger town or city you can eat about anything and it will be fine. Spent the last week doing just that in Guanajuato with no ill effects.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree that the advise is probably becoming outdated, for most situations around PV.

That said, yes for myself, I avoid eating salad

I skip lettuce and most raw vegetables, eat only fruits that can be peeled (I do eat salsa). I have grapefruit or orange juice from vendors, but skip carrot juice (one bad experience).

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they're willing to gamble on about food choices.

(I've been to PV ~18 times.)

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the imput.