Eating Salads in PV Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be dining at La Palapa, Dacquiri Dick's, LeKliff and Trio. Is it unwise to eat salads in these, and similar, restaurants? Or are the greens and vegetables safe to eat?

We want to err on the side of caution, but don't want to unnecessarily deprive ourselves of salads, which we love.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM

Saw many people eating salads and had no ill efetcs.

The water in the "nicer" restaurants and resorts is Purified.

In fact they tell you that their water is purified and even on the ice bags there is a large sign on the bag that read "Purified.

The Four Restaurants that you have mentioned are all great top of the line places.

LeKiff has terrific Ocean views

Bon Appetite.

Percy

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:35 AM

Although I've never been to Puerto Vallarta, I've eaten salads in restaurants all over the Yucatan, much to the dismay of the physicians at our local travel clinic. They insist that there is no way to adequately clean lettuce to make it safe to eat, if it's been watered with unclean water. They are probably right. But, I've never gotten the least bit ill, so will continue to eat salads in Mexico.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:03 AM

I always have eaten salads and I have been to LaPalapa and Dacquiri Dick's and Le Kliff, never got sick. Caution is always a good idea but I need to eat a salad with my meal.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't eat salads and limit raw vegetables in PV (this doesn't prove anything but I err on the side of caution, as you said). I usually have a side of steamed vegetables with dinner instead.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:31 AM

I'd say go ahead and eat the salads and not worry about it. You cannot spend your entire vacation worrying if everything will make you sick.Be cautious if something does not look quite right but dont deprive yourself.
I have been to P.V on numerous occasions and low and behold the last time in Sept. I got sick. I would never in a million years be able to pin point what it was or where it could have been. If it's not the salad it can be something else thats for sure!Good luck, enjoy and relax about it
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM

How about steamed vegetables for the first couple of days, until your body acclimates to the different bacteria there, and then indulge in the salads. Since lettuce is mostly water, it probably matters just as much what it is watered with as what it is cleaned with.

A theory.

Also, tequila in sufficient quantity is known to kill any bacteria.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I'll have your words running through my head as I look at the various menus.

We leave in two days....first visit to PV,after three years of trying to get there. I'll post a trip report when we get back.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:45 PM

If you haven't left yet, add PiPi's to your list. I just returned from PV and ate salads all over town. Have fun.