Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Drinking Water Safety in Puerto Vallarta??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My wife and I are planning a first time trip to PV in May. We're not staying at the mega-resorts (Casa Dulce Vida and Casa Iguana). Anyone know if the water is safe to drink at smaller hotels? Is it safe to drink/eat at local restaurants in town or on the beach?
I've heard horror stories about people getting sick from eating salads or drinking drinks with ice, but nothing from PV specifically.

Thanks in advance,

- Nick
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most people stick to bottled water in Puerto Vallarta, even the locals. You'll see "sparklettes" style water tanks everywhere. And corner stores selling bottled water literally everywhere.

You can pretty much count on restaurants using purified water and definitely purified ice (it comes from a delivery truck and you can tell by the shape, bars certainly aren't making ice cubes in trays from tap water!).

I am somewhat cautious what I eat in PV (many many trips later) and do stick mostly to cooked vegetables over raw salads. More important IMO is food handling. I am more scared any day of a buffet table at a bad resort, than eating fresh tacos from the street stands.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I personally have never gotten sick in Mexico, combination of luck and good habits I suppose. The last time I was in PV I stayed at a small independent hotel (Hotel Eloisa) downtown and was fine. But I never drink the tap water, just bottled water. I do, however, brush my teeth with the water and besides that, I never think about. I don't even use ice at home, so I can't tell you about the iced drinks, but like I said, I brush my teeth with the water. By the way, I don't know if it actually helps or not, but I'm a big yogurt eater, and make sure I eat a cup everyday for about five days before I go to mexico. I'm sure it can't hurt.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Nick---I read that this is your 1st time to PV, but is it your 1st time to Mexico, in general? The reason that I ask is because I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico since the 80's, and I got sick only one time----I can tell you that I became so laxed in my repeated excursions, that I thought I would be fine ignoring my own precautions that one time, and I paid the price. I can tell you what I failed to do----and haven't mad that mistake since.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM

(made*) oops. Suze can give you great pointers----looks like she's been to PV more than most----and with much success.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Yes PV is a place of my heart (15 trips later). I'm always happy to answer any questions I can, especially to 1st timers.

And sure you can get sick but it's not like everyone, everyday is running around deathly ill. I can think of twice specifically myself, and one time for a friend (I blame bad dairy products, his was reheated roasted chicken very late one night from a stand).

As far as dangers in PV, I see much more problem with people hurting themselves (falling off the high curbs, cobblestone streets, wiping out on a boogie board, bad sunburns, hungover) then ever from illness and certainly not crime.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I also agree w/Suze she gave good advice I have only stayed at hotels that have purified water so everything I ate there was ok however I stayed at the Krystal and they didn't have it and I brushed my teeth w tap water and what a mistake that was. Try to follow Suze's advice. I have been going for a long time too and only got sick the one time. Try to use bottled water to drink and brush your teeth and if you stick to cooked foods you won't have anything to worry about. Have a great time
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Amen! Bottled water and no dairy!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Well, at least no mushroom alfredo fettucini in a restaurant where the A/C (and refrigeration?) had been turned off until the first customers arrived!!!

Dumb dumb move on my part
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Hi Nick~
Use care but PV is one of only 2 cities in MX with tested safe water, 4 x year. Drink distilled water in large blue 5 gallon jugs or from the common bottles as in the USA. I haul one with me always. After 28 or so trips I find no problem, but please do watch the sun, drink plenty of liquids daily including fruit juices, very little alcohol [if any]. Plenty of sleep and your tummy will not suffer take Pepto Bismal if needed. Ice is fine as are veggies from reputable spots. Do you have my eatery guide?

Gary
San Francisco, CA.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto...Town_SouthSide
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Yes, this is my first trip south of the border. I'll make sure and get out to the local restaurants and experience all of PV! I'll follow your advice and let you know how I made out when I return (2nd week of May).

Thanks again,

- Nick
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I would be curious to know what you thought of your stay at the Casa Iguana, as I am tentatively looking to book there in early Jan. I am first timer as well, to PV and Mexico period!