Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Any tips on AVOIDING FOOD POISONING in Mexico without being PARANOID of course...

Any tips on AVOIDING FOOD POISONING in Mexico without being PARANOID of course...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:00 PM
Susan

Hello! I have been down to Baja Mex tons on times but everytime I mention my upcoming trip to Puerto Vallarta I hear an awful story about when so and so got food poisoning down there any suggestions besides the obvious don't drink the tap water is sooo appreciated!!!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:03 PM
Nancy

Hi Susan,
Do a sytem-wide search using the words Cancun and sick.
There was recently (within the last two weeks) a HUGE thread on this topic with a whole bunch of really good tips.
Above all, don't worry about it unnecessarily.
Just take some of the advice on the posts, and you'll be fine!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:46 PM
loangalsal

My husband ate an entree of seared Tuna steak that tasted good but gave him violent food poisoning in Puerto Vallarta. Not the "montezuma revenge" kind of sickness, just good old fashioned food poisoning. So don't eat fish that is not native to the area! I think it was just past it's prime because it had been flown in from elsewhere...We go to PV all the time and usually don't have any problems, that could have happened in the US just as easily.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Clarisa

I think the recent bad food stories that have been posted on different travel bulletin boards come from experiences at All-Inclusive buffets at resorts (don't know what else you've heard).

I spend alot of time in PV. When I've gotten a little sick without exception were from "tourist" restaurants (as best as I can tell) that were not busy or where I made a bad food choice. Eat out in really busy restaurants. Buy your own food from the supermercado (make sandwiches, fruit, box juice, cookies, crackers, etc.). Fill up at breakfast (a safe meal) with omlettes, pancakes, etc.

Personally I avoid most "dairy". Two seperate mistakes: mushroom cream sauce on pasta at a slow restaurant, twice baked potato that had been sitting on a grille (dumb dumb dumb). For some reason I've never had problem with milk in my coffee or ice cream.

I have the best luck sticking with steak & baked potato or catch of the day (fish) in garlic and butter & rice.

I've been to La Paz as well as PV and personally didn't find the situations that different. Good luck & enjoy!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:17 PM
Joan

After seeing my friend deathly ill in the Dominican Republic, I was bound and determined to avoid such illness during a recent trip to Margarita Island. I went to my doctor and he gladly gave me a prescription of Cipro to use at the first sign of illness. My friend also got a script. When she started feeling ill again, she took the Cipro and avoided major repeat of prior vacation. I think that she ate an apple without peeling it and she was headed to the WC. So from now on this is my plan!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:39 AM
nina

I spent a month studying Spanish in Mexico and followed the advice of my internest and never had a problem. Obviously, drink only bottled water, don't eat raw fruits or vegetables without knowing for sure that they have been properly cleaned....(if you want to eat fruit or vegetables that you buy in the market, buy a little bottle of iodine drops and soak the fruit in the sink for 15 minutes with water mixed with a drop or two) and then, the most important thing; two days before you go, start taking two Pepto Bismol tablets four times and day and continue for the duration of your trip. This definitely worked.!! Have fun and don't be paranoid.... it ruins the day!

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:50 AM
xxx

when i went to central american, it was recommended that i start taking pills about three weeks before hand. i think they were call "acidophilas" or something like that. can buy at any vitamin store. it's apparently like the "good" bacteria that you find in yogurt.
i bet those all you eat buffets are the culprit of most food poisoning. yuck.
been to mex probably about 20 times. the ONLY time i ever got sick was during one trip i didn't drink a margaretta. my belief...a margaretta (or two) a day keeps the sickness away.

Apr 4th, 2002, 11:39 AM
margarita

I agree with the above poster, tequilla (any alcohol) helps kill the bugs. I've never personally ever known anyone to get sick in PV with real food poisoning only "turista" which is a drag & can last several weeks but clears up on its own.

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Beverly

I start taking Pepto on the plane before going to Mexico. Then 1 or 2 tablets before each meal and you'll coat your stomach. I've tried not taking them and felt like I was queazy after eating. With the Pepto you can eat and drink anything.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:21 PM
avoid A-Is

Do NOT eat at All-Inclusive buffets at chair resorts. They are an accident waiting to happen.

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:30 PM
suzy

what are chair resorts?

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM
avoid A-Is

hahahah. lo siento mi amigos/as. of course i meant the international corporate large CHAIN resort hotel properties and packages.

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:00 PM
evad

Drink the little bottles of yogurt drink like "Yakult", one a day like many Mexicans do. In frequent trips I am really convinced this helps.

Apr 16th, 2002, 04:15 PM
susan

Hello! I am the one who asked this question and while I totally apprectiate all the info I have received I am now a bit concerned because I will be at an AI with all those Buffets!!! If it wasn't for the fact I am traveling with my 2 kids ages 3 and 5 first I would not have booked an all inclusive (with an awesome kids program,couldn't resist) and 2 I really would not be that concerned about myself and husband , its mainly the kids I am worried about getting sick. Anyway, any further input would be great thanks!

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:06 PM
suzy

Hi,susan, what resort are you going to be staying at? I took my boys to Puerto Vallarta when they were 7 and 5 and I just had them drink every thing out of a bottle and not eat chicken and pork. Things have changed since then (11 years). We stayed for 3 weeks and they did not get sick. I also did not let them eat salads. We went all over and ate in alot of different restaurant. Make sure they drink alot water.

Apr 16th, 2002, 07:03 PM
susan

We will be staying at a place called the Qualton Resort and Spa. Are you familiar with it?? I am planning on having them eat yogurts and yogurt drinks. Fortunately (but unfortunately in this case) they LOVE LETTUCE and Fruits! Like I said I don't want to be Paranoid because when we go down to Rosarito Beach or TJ we pretty much eat everything and have never had a problem. I know I need to keep the kids away from the lettuce though and limit the fruits to a minimum and thanks for the advice on drinking alot of liquids. I would just hate for them to get sick.Thanks for any more info!! Susan

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:01 AM
regarding fruit

Fruit is not necessarily a problem, of the type that can be peeled... oranges, melons, pineapple, bananas are all just fine! (IMHO) Where most people get sick is not from a specific type of food it is in the poor food handling... things setting out to long, not properly refrigerated, reheated, dairy or meat that is a bit off, etc. That is why the buffets are so scary and seem to be where the most people who get sick, get sick. Suzy above who mentioned eating all over with her two kids was OUT at independent restaurants where the food (most likely) is freshly prepared. You could supplement with buying bread, peanut butter & jelly, cookies & crackers, from the supermercado, etc. to keep in your room... can't go wrong with those.

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Suzy

Some where i read a post that taking a small vile of bleach and soak the fruit and veggies for 15 minutes does the trick if you are in your room. I also took a cooler and had stuff for my boys to eat that i got at the super market. It was handy. I'm taking my mom tp PV next month for 10 days and we are staying at the Melia and it's all inclusive. Just got back in feb from margarita island and stayed at an all inclusive and did't have a problems except the 16 year old had one night he was up chucking and we all ate the same stuff so i think he might have been getting those free drinks.

Apr 17th, 2002, 10:22 AM
soaking vegetables

Along the lines of the bleach idea, you can buy "biodrops" at any grocery store (tiny bottle often at checkout stand) that is a product specifically meant to soak fruits & vegetables.