Four Seasons Punta Mita Room

Mar 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Four Seasons Punta Mita Room

I am planning for a getaway with my wife and am searching for insight as to which room is the best value and/or the best recommendation for this property. They offer partial ocean view, ocean view, premium ocean view, oceanfront and beachfront.

I'm just not familiar with the resort to just stab at it and pray. Perhaps somebody who has been there or knows can let me know which room they would recommend and why.

Also, I heard about several meal options--any insight into this--if its worthwhiel would also be very much appreciated. THANKS!
Jeremy
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Hi, we were there last April. By the way, I'm jealous -- it was the best resort we have been to and we have been to some nice ones! (See my review on tripadvisor.com titled Heaven on Earth). The best value hands down are the partial ocean view rooms because they are a very reasonable price for this caliber of resort and you might get upgraded. We got upgraded two categories to a premium ocean view room, just an incredible view. So of course that really enhanced our experience because that room was $200 more a night than what we actually paid. Due to the location of the partial ocean view rooms, it's hard to see how you will see anymore than a sliver of the ocean, so if you must have a great view premium oceanview is probably your best best (3rd floor). I didn't like the location of the beachfront rooms, not private enough and although you can step right out to the beach, not a great view. The other category I would really like to try is the oceanfront -- they are one-story buildings kind of up on a cliff right against the ocean -- you can't walk right off your terrace into the water because it is rock and cliff beyond the terrace but I imagine the view is incredible. We did not get the meal plan and we are glad we didn't, we did not spend what it would have cost. I did not find the meals exorbitantly priced, what was expensive was drinks, bottled water and wine and that's not included in the plan anyway. We also ate in the town of Punta Mita one night and went into PV one night so it was good we weren't on the meal plan. What we did have was the breakfast plan which I highly recommend -- it is an incredible breakfast buffet (I think you can also order off the menu but we didn't feel the need because the buffet had everything we could possibly want). We would eat "brunch" about 10:30 - 11 every morning and really not need anything except a snack until dinner. Beverages were included in the breakfast plan - sodas and juices. There are some good photos of rooms and views on differentworld.com Also, arrange a private dinner on "The Rock", we didn't get to do it because they were booked (book this a a month in advance) but it looked like an incredible experience.
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM

A bit of a late reply. The hotel is wonderful!! The food is NOT! Even at 1/2 the price I would eat peanut butter and jelly.

I made a mistake and did not eat in the little town of Punta Mita. When we were there we would have had only 2 off-site places to eat anyway, but should have. I was not about to pay $80 with tip (RT) to eat in PV based on principle although I realize it is a 50 minute drive.
We are avid snorkeler's and while we knew not to expec too much, there is basically NO snrkeling worth doing.
Stay at the resort and bring some food.
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Are you allowed to pack food/snacks from the USA and bring it down to Mexico? I've never really tried that. When going to Hawaii, our first stop was the Super Walmart (grocery store) where we bought fresh fruit and snacks and brought it to the FS--but probably no reliable shopping in Mexico...

I think we'll eat at the Rock and will almost certainly take everyone's advice and eat in town several times.

I have been emailing a nice woman who works at the FS PM resort and she has been helping me decide which room category to reserve. In short, she emailed me the different views from some of the rooms. I was very impressed with the Ocean View and Ocean View Premium but very disappointed with the Ocean Front view.

Why? The Ocean View and Ocean View Premium seemed to have lots of foliage and a decent to very good view of the ocean. The Oceanfront, albeit right on a cliff looking at the ocean, seemed unfinished and had no greenery in the view--to me, very bland! The Beachfront seemed nice, but also seemed like people would be 30-50 feet from your room--especially with hammocks right there for public use. Do I seem right on?

Any comments are much appreciated.
Mar 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Jeremy, Why do you make the assumption that there's "no reliable shopping in Mexico"? That's the craziest thing I've heard today! How do you think Mexican people shop and eat dinner, for goodness sake?

You can do exactly the same as you described doing in Hawaii...

There is a Walmart, Giagante (grocery store), Sams Club, etc. in PV. You would have to shop in town before heading out to Punta de Mita though. Plenty of fresh fruit, snacks both Mexican and some American brands available. Sheez.
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

The Four Seasons arranges for transportation from the airport to its property and, from what I've read, Punta Mita is a very small town. Therefore, I am assuming that there are no Walmart's and supermarkets near the resort...

So, can you bring along some snack food, water and the like?

Also, having some bad experiences driving in Mexico, I'll go to great lengths to avoid having to rent a car or drive there. Sure, all major cities in the world seem to already be Americanized, but, again, I really meant to the area in Punta Mita--not all of Mexico.
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Most people go to one of the large grocery stores near the airport for provisions, upon arrival, when they stay in condos out to the north. You are correct there aren't major supermercados in the town of Punta Mita itself.

I am quite certain you can bring bottled water from the U.S. into Mexico. And I assume prepackaged snacks as well, but am not sure of that.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative, I was referring only to the fact that Puerto Vallarta has large grocery stores (I do not consider this "Americanized"). In your situation, if bringing in an extra suitcase with food better suits your needs, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a problem as long as it's not fresh items (fruits, meats, cheeses, etc.).
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. We're very excited about this upcoming trip!