Princeville Resort Kauai

Search

Princeville Resort Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Princeville Resort Kauai

I have done some pretty hefty surfing on Fodor and Trip Advisor regarding this resort. We are going on an award trip in March, so no other options matter. However, I am trying to pin down best ocean view rooms. Hopefully, I will be able to request one of these. I hear they have done some updating/cleaning etc.., so, I'd love to know anyone's thoughts regarding the 1st floor vs. higher up??? Hopefully, several of you have been there recently. Thanks so much..Aloha
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM

ttt
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM

hi mom..
Will you have any children with you? If so, they might put you in a room right by the pool "for your convenience." The last room we stayed in had a very lovely level beach view, but the dampness was way worse than the higher floors. It was a very rainy trip, so i'm sure that's why, but from the mold growing all over the room service books..the problem is chronic on the ground level. This is not to say the room was not still quite lovely, it was. However, the past 3 times when we have stayed at this hotel, we stayed higher up on the ocean side and the view was SO AWESOME. I have never had a view like this and i loved taking showers and watching out over the reefs at the same time! I had a hard time wanting to leave the room at all on these stays, though..so if it's a family trip, you might be just as well off with a garden view on a higher floor if the super-damp might bother you.
You can not get right to the beach or pool from the little lawn/lanai you need to take the hall, even though you are right there..separated only by a hedge row. Wish they'd remedy that and put tiles on the floors of the ground level rooms, new room service books and tables and chairs with less sharp metal and marble corners. If i remember correctly, when using Starwood points, you can only get a garden or mountain view room. These rooms are very nice! They just don't have that drop dead view. You might get one of the ground level ocean view rooms with points, but you will have to weigh the pros/cons for yourself. I'd say, with baby i'd take the higher floor, with just a couple, i'd go for the beach side, as there is still a nice view..just not as expansive as the higher floors. For a great view anytime, hang out and have drinks in the lobby bar and patio. beeautiful. OH did i mention? The pool is fantastic, although the chlorine seemed a bit stronger on this recent trip than it has in years past. I am sensitive and always noticed that. There is a swim up bar and it feels like you are "in" the ocean as you bob around in this lovely simple infinity lipped number. Room service was impeccable. Breakfast buffet was a yawn, but very complete. Don't miss the short kahiku hula performed on Sunday just before sunset in the lobby.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

sea wahine..thank you so much for your indept report...that's why I love posting on this site. We will have 2 teenagers with us, so i think a high up ocean view will be a must. Are there any floors high up that have balconies..for some reason, i thought one floor might? Again, my thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM

No lanais that i know of (except perhaps in some ultra fancy bit somewhere). All the rooms have fantastic window seats, though.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much..aloha
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Thought you might enjoy a look at some of the more memorable rooms we've been super lucky enough to have stayed in. I'll try and see if i have any shots of our most recent trip when we stayed in the ground floor beachside room and add them to this yahoo pix link.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/as3hrager/my_photos
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I stayed at the Princeville in october. Some rooms do have small lanais, but not many. I'm not sure which rooms have them.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

sea_wahine...oh my word...what gorgeous photos...mine don't ever turn out like yours?? The sunset was amazing...especially with the baby..precious!!! Thanks for sharing..only 1 month to go!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:07 PM

Sea Wahine--just saw your pix. They're beautiful and evocative. I miss Kauai!! You met THE Mr. Lappert? Where was that taken--Koloa? Hanapepe?
The photo of you in your dress reminds me--do they still hold the luau at Princeville Hotel? The dancers entered over the bridge where you're standing. They had THE best food, and a local family feel that's missing at some like Germaine's big one in Oahu, or the one at the Coconut Coast in Kauai.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM

Mom, thanks for the compliment!
Cali, yes, that is Mr. Lappert. I think he passed away
not too long after we took this picture(a few years back). We met him in Kapaa, at the Safeway of all places. I was star struck and followed him around until I got the nerve to strike up a conversation. In fact, the fellow was as interesting as he looks and as sweet as, well, ice cream! We ended up walking together for awhile (around where Papaya's and the kid's museum area) and had a lovely conversation. I was saddened to hear of his passing.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:21 PM

Oh, and yep, thay do still have the luau at Princeville Hotel. When we were there last, in Sept., it was reeeaaally rainy and we didn't book the luau. It was the 1st time that we haven't gone to this on a Kauai visit. I really enjoy that production. All the luau photos on my little yahoo pix page are from this show, i think. I did go down from the room and check it out a little, though. The wet marble walkways were so wet and slippery that the dancers kept slipping just outside of the audiences view near where i was lurking by the bar. Ouch. None seemed harmed, but it was one of those times when you could appreciate the professionalism of these performers.