Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First trip to CR! Tamarindo / Ocotal Hotel recs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently in the final planning stages of my first trip to CR. I'll be heading into San Jose Nov 30 and heading home out of Liberia on Dec 9. I've already got the first 5 nights of the trip booked in Poas / Arenal / Manuel Antonio (Peace Lodge, Montana De Fuego, and Mango Moon, respectively), but I still need rooms for the last 4 days of the trip. I was thinking 2 days in / near Tamarindo, and two days further north around Ocotal so as to make for a short drive back to Liberia when it's time to go home. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for these two areas? I was considering Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo, but the rooms that they have left have no air conditioning. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is or isnt? I also considered Hotel Bula Bula in Playa Grande.. but I'm worried about the boat to get back across from Tamarindo. If I party in Tamarindo into the evening / night, will I still be able to get a boat back to Playa Grande? My girfriend is a total animal nut, and I'd like to see a turtle or two so I'll probably be going to Playa Grande at some point even if I stay in Tamarindo (this is the main reason I even want to stop by this area). I considered Hotel Pasatiempo as well, but from what I can gather it's a bit of walk from the beach. I'd like something on the beach or with a beach view if possible. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM

We stayed in a non airconditioned bungalow at Hotel Capitan Suizo in late May and with the two ceiling fans, we were comfortable. We had stayed in an A/C room the first night there BUT we and our adult kids loved the bunglows - closer to the bar/restaraunt/beach/pool. You are going to love Capitan. It MADE our stay in Costa Rica, howlers on the property, iguana, squirrels, the beach is beautiful, I could go on and on.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM

Cala Luna is also nice or you could try La Palapa which is on the beach more near the center of town. Pasatiempo is about a 5 minute walk to the beach.

The boat taxis in Tamarindo only run during the day, ususally until about 4:00p.m. If you want to party in Tamarindo, you would need to take a regular taxi back. The fare is about $25 one way. If you are going to that area to see the turtles, it is best to stay in Playa Grande as the tours leave anywhere from 6:00p.m. to midnight, depending on the tide and the turtles. You can do a trip out of Tamarindo that includes transportation. I am not sure of the cost, but to book it directly with the ranger station it costs $16/person.

Good places to stay in Grande include RipJack Inn, just 50 meters from the beach with an ocean view restaurant. Bula Bula is closer to the estuary, but farther from the beach.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Hi JCagle,
Mostly posting to bookmark this..I am looking for recommendations for that area as well. We have 4 nights in that area - thinking of 2 down in Tamarindo then 2 farther North in Playa Hermosa (to be closest to Liberia for morning flight). When are you going? Not sure of your budget but a friend just got back from Tamarindo and stayed in Villa Del Sueno - loved it.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

oops, I meant Sueno Del Mar!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM

JCagle,
We stayed at Bula Bula this summer. It was certainly nice enough, but wouldn't stay there again, probably. Too far from the beach. RipJack had a fantastic restaurant!

I don't think you could go wrong with Las Tortugas either (I think that is the correct name) in Playa Grande. Definitely you both should plan to try to see the giant leatherbacks since they you'll be right in the middle of that season. I think you would BOTH be amazed!

Pasatiempo is a fun place (and inexpensive), but your're right--a bit of a walk. The Tamarindo Diria is RIGHT on the beach, right in the middle of town.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Las Tortugas is the closest you can get to the beach in Playa Grande. Try to book one of the 3 'ranchos' facing the beach. They have their own patio for relaxing. Although RipJack is close to the beach, I don't believe they have a pool.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Hi JCagle,

Can't help you with Tamarindo/Playa Grande recs (have not been to that area yet...). I just noticed that you've got an awful lot of moving around packed into your trip. It looks like the most time you have allocated to any one place is 2 nights. It's do-able, but by the time you factor in travel times, you'll really only have one full day in each location. This may be your preferred mode of travel, but I think you'll miss out on several of the activities that some of these places have to offer because you simply won't have time. Arenal in particular, has much to offer.

Your trip is coming fast! Have a terrific time!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Needing A/C in November and December just depends on you. We were in Tamarindo last year at Thanksgiving time and we used our A/C every day. Coming in from a long walk on the beach or an active day trip, it was pretty difficult for us to cool off without the A/C but of course everyone is different. It's kind of that sticky, damp hot (we are from Washington state) in CR so it gets to some of us if we don't have A/C. We usually have at least some parts of our body with a little sun burn so cooling off with A/C was important to us.

Capitan is a really nice place - we walk there for food and drinks. We stay just up the beach in the center of town because we like to be able to walk everywhere around town from our resort. Capitan is nicer in some ways because it is smaller, has more shade and critters, but we like to have numerous pools and a large restaurant and bar. As you have figured out, when the tide is in, you have to walk or taxi on the narrow road that does not follow the beach. It was muddy when we were there last year but we heard from January on things get dry and dusty so that made us okay with a little mud. Everything is still green in the fall months so it's a pleasant time to visit the area.

I wouldn't worry about being real close to LIR for your flight home. Seems like it took us about 45 minutes to go from Liberia to Tamarindo. You'll want to give yourself extra time in case something happens, but it isn't a difficult commute.

Enjoy your trip! We leave 11/21/07 - flying into SJO and out of LIR.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Agree it isn't a difficult commute, but as Linda mentions, give yourself extra time. We've driven it many times, and I'm pretty sure you're looking at an hour plus just a few minutes (5-15).
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I've pretty much ruled out Capitan Suizo unless they have a cancellation for an air conditioned room. Its a shame because that was my first choice for a hotel in Tamarindo, but I'm pretty hot blooded by nature and I know I won't be able to sleep at night if the room isnt cool. I keep my AC and cieling fan going at home in my room almost year round.. so I'm considering Cala Luna and Pasatiempo. I'll just go ahead and find a turtle tour that includes transportation. I also really dont think a few minutes walk to the beach is going to be much of a bother.. in fact I usually find it enjoyable, and Pasatiempo is pretty cheap. Then I can splurge more on my further north location for the 2 following nights (any suggestions for that?).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Although Pasatiempo might not be your first choice, it isn't a bad place to stay. We've stayed there twice and have yet to stay at one of the more "upscale" hotels in the Tam. area. Probably won't now, as we tend to see Tamarindo just for a couple of hours at a time these days.

PT is in an interesting area, a short walk up the road that leads to Playa Langosta. The property is welcoming and the restaurant/bar a fun hangout. Rooms may have changed somewhat (haven't stayed since 2003), but they were nothing special, very small, yet colorful and quite adequate. We spent NO time in the rooms, of course, as is often the case.

On Tuesday nights, there used to be a "jam" session of local musicians. It was quite successful, and I would imagine still a feature.

One B&B we've always thought we'd like to visit is Villa del Sueno. I noticed another poster mentioned it as well. I always tend to get the name mixed up with the hotel by a similar name in Playa Hermosa, a few km to the north. I believe the same people who own Flor Blanco down at Ste. Teresa own this small Tamarindo botique hotel. It's pricier, but has always gotten excellent reviews.

You may have said already, but have you already checked about that one?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Okay, setting the record straight here. Not that I'll remember a month from now. . .or tomorrow. . .

Sueno del Mar is the name of the really nice B&B in Tamarindo (actually Playa Langosta nearby).

Villa del Sueno is the hotel at Playa Hermosa. We stayed there a year or so ago--haven't stayed at Sueno del Mar.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Shillmac - you MUST stay atleast two nights at Hotel Capitan Suizo during your next visit. And JCagle you would love the property as well. I, at the age of 50, and yes, needing cool air more than most, did suffice with the ceiling fans at their bungalow at the end of May a couple yrs. ago. This property is so exquisite. The staff so accomadating. It is a distance from the turtles in Playa Grande, if that is your goal. Sueno del Mar, in Langosta, is known for their B&B breakfasts. I visited this property and would love to visit some day but the lure to Hotel Capitan Suizo is sooo great. Also, alittle further to the south is Villa Alegra, owned by Barry and Suyze Lawson. They took our hockey bag of school supplies to Villreal and are very involved with the local communities and schools. Ex pat's are very compassionate and involved in educating the Costa Rican people to do with their education as the please. Costa Rica is a wonderful country to visit. Pura Vida
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM

LOL--you talked me into it!