Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Guanacaste beach with two young children -- safe hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting to Costa Rica in late January for the second time (1st was 4 years ago with our 8 month-old son) and would like to spend 3 days in the Tamarindo/Playa Hermosa area since we didn't see this area before. We will be traveling with our kids (now 4 and 2 yrs old) and much more concerned this time around about safety, since both children can run (not like before when it was like traveling with a cello, I mean, portable baby).

I am looking for immediate guidance on a secure and pleasant hotel in the beach area that offers some fun on-site stuff (pool, gardens, + good restaurant for dinner) but easy access for day trip options. I've been directed to Villa Del Sueno and Hotel Sugar Beach as possibilities. We shy away from the all-inclusive hotel scene due to cost and atmosphere not being what we want. And we'd like a hotel that can give us a family suite or two rooms adjacent so we don't have to sleep all together (tried that, doesn't work for us yet).

What is a good bet that is both fun and safe? Please advise. We leave for CR on January 23rd and our dates set aside for the beach are Jan 30 - Feb 2nd. Rest of the trip is all set.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM

We particularly like Flamingo Beach Resort--I think it has everything you are looking for-including a very nice children's pool. It is a good value. If you look at a map, you'll see that Playa Hermosa (Villas del Sueno) is north, then south of there Flamingo/Potrero area (where Hotel Sugar Beach is). Further south is Tamarindo. Flamingo is the central area between Playa Hermosa and Tamarindo.

Hotel Sugar Beach is lovely, but isolated and requires a bit of a drive.

Flamingo Beach Resort is on one of the prettiest beaches in Costa Rica. The restaurant there at the hotel isn't particularly good (although we like eating at the pool bar--fun place), but in Flamingo and down at Brasilito (10 min. south) there are some excellent restaurants. Also a few out on Potrero.

There is a cool little country road connecting the Flamingo/Potrero area to Playa Hermosa called the Congo Trail that you might want to use. Also, if you are heading toward Tamarindo, when you get to Huacas, instead of making the turn to Tamarindo, continue out of town a short ways to Monkey Park--a rehab place. The kids would enjoy holding the baby monkeys!

I definitely think Flamingo Beach Resort would fit the bill for you guys! Have fun--and do report back!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Sorry--meant to name some restaurants!

Playa Hermosa--Ginger, without a doubt!

Potrero--Marco Polo for Italiano; also a little castle sandwich and bakery place, maybe El Castillo is the name)

Flamingo--Marie's, Stella's and others. . .

Brasilito--Happy Snapper, Camaron Dorado (one of my favorites!)

I'm not as "up" on eateries in Tamarindo, but like Nougi's (sp?) and also Zully Mar (both on the circle). They also have a Stella's.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Flamingo could be good for a family, and a good base for the local beaches which are lovely!

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html

As shillimac says -apart from Maries and Camaron Dorado-eat in Brasilito.

In Tamarindo, Dragonfly is the hot restaurant at present.
Noguis is a great place for breakfast on the sand and stay at Capt Suzio, it has a kids pool and is on the best part of the beach for swimming:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/tamarindo/home/index.html
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM

May I suggest a condo in Playa del Coco. I believe about $50 per night. The condos have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. There is a restaurant and a store in the condo complex. The pool is beautiful with a kiddie pool also. The beach is a 3 min walk.

Alot of people never speak highly of Playa del Coco. This is our 3rd year in Coco and our second in the condo. We will also be getting there on Jan 21. We will be staying for another 6 weeks.

I am assuming that you will be flying out of Liberia. If so it's a 30 drive to the airport on good roads. Coco would be a great place to stay for your last couple of days.

If interested, contact Mauricio at [email protected]. He has always gotten right back to my e-mails.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

To my new friends, shillmac, guanacaste, and mageb123 -- thank you for your quick responses! I'm following up on them and will let you know what comes of your helpful suggestions (Flamingo Beach, Capitan, condo in Playa del Coco -- maybe a condo in Flamingo Beach!). I appreciate your advice sincerely. Definitely putting the Monkey Park at the top of the list -- our little girl LOVES animals. I'll be writing down the restaurants too. THANKS!
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 09:38 AM

i DEFINITELY dont recommend a condo in Coco, that area has a lot of visible drug taking and the beach isnt nice.
ive said it before and ill say it again, i think you should stay away from renting condos in that area unless you are 100% certain of their security arrangements!
Condos are expensive to rent in that area and i really believe youd be better off with an AI.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the caution about crime and vulnerabilities. I have a possible two-bedroom condo in the Flamingo Marina Resort for the same price as a superior room (no separate sleeping area for us vs. kids, i.e., bedroom suite) at the Flamingo Beach Resort. There is 24-hour security patrol at the condo complex. I think this arrangement might work well for us, although condos are vulnerable to theft due to their open arrangement. vs. a hotel.

Am I overlooking something important if I go for the marina resort condo instead of a room at Flamingo Beach hotel? It pretty much comes down to the sleeping arrangements and price, after the location criterion has been satisfied.

The condo rent is $150/night and I get a lot more space than i would at the Hotel.

Thank you, guanacaste, for your candid opinion on Coco.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 06:25 PM

I can't speak to the Flamingo Marina Resort at all; in fact, have never been there. I'm sure the deal you've found there will work nicely for you guys (sounds like it will).

The only thing I THINK you'll be missing out on is that great location to the beach that FBR offers. So close and convenient. . .

Also, I've never looked online at the FMR website, but I can tell you that the huge pool at FBR is wonderful, and the children's pool very nice.

I was thinking I sent the link to you, but it must have been someone else. . .if you'll look at the Flamingo Beach Resort website, under special packages, you'll find a very good one for Bed & Breakfast. $79 per night, I think--through April. 2 double beds in each standard room. The bathtubs are nice (hard to find anywhere in CR).

One of the selling points for us is a very nice couple who own the salon at FBR--great for hair, pedi's, mani's, or excellent massages ($50).

Look into it bit more. . .that said, I'm sure you will enjoy either property!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM

I guess I am glad that people give Coco a bad name. Because of it there are less tourists to have to deal with.

I feel very safe in the condo we rent. There is security and at no time do I feel like I have to watch my back.

I have given the owner's e-mail to go directly thru.His condo units are comfortable and the pool is fantastic. A three minute walk to the beach/ If you look up in the mango trees, you are sure to see the howler monkeys watching you.
Have you ever had a mile long beach to yourselves? It's a great feeling. It's black sand so it's not pristene. I wouldn't choose to swim at the beach right at the end of town,only because it is busy and where the crowds tend to hang out.
To each their own,but if I had 2 little kids and a couple of days,I'm sure we would have a ball.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the specific advice and details on conveniences at the places you recommend. It has really helped us make our plans. We're reserving through Tricolor Rental and have secured lodging for the beach phase of our trip (plus 4 nights at Los Lagos for the Arenal leg). I want to thank each of your for spending time to write these posts. I'll report back on our adventures -- we leave on the 23rd of this month. May good times greet you each day of this new year.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac -- did I recall correctly that you recommend the Gran Vitara as a good bet for rental car? We will have lots of gear (crib, plus two large duffle bags, plus backpack kid carrier). We managed in a Rav4 before but the price on Gran Vitara is much better. Thoughts?
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Yes, I think it will work well for you. We've traveled with all that stuff before as well, but only with one child. Will both kids be in car seats?

We had rented the Gran Vitara last summer through Tricolor and there were going to be 6 adults and a toddler with toddler gear. Cynthia at Tricolor had thought it would work for us, but the more we thought about it just before we got there, we realized no way. We ended up with a Suzuki APV (I think), sort of an elongated van. It was tight, but worked. There were only 6 adults for a portion of the trip, then down to 5 which helped!

Sorry for the personal rendition. . .my mind likes to go back when my body can't! Whew! Yep, the GV would be a good choice. Just a couple of weeks away for you guys--I am very anxious to hear how it all went--don't forget to post a report. Not everyone has the courage to "do" Costa Rica with 2 little ones. You have to do things a little differently, but it's still a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM

My husband and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica at the end of March/first of April with out 3 year old. First, we will fly into San Jose as it is a direct flight. Any suggestions on where to stay, itineraries with a 3 year old? Also, for those of you who have done this with small children, did they have a good time and find things to do? Our son would get bored with too much driving or beach/pool all the time. In addition, did you think it was safe?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Absolutely safe--as much as anywhere (my opinion). We spent a month there with our 6 month old granddaughter 2 years ago, 2 weeks with her last summer when she was 18 months, and she is going back with us this coming summer at 2 1/2 years.

Your little one would enjoy La Paz Waterfall Gardens with the butterflies and hummingbirds. Our Isabelle loved all that. She also enjoys Zoo Ave and has been there both times--as a baby and as a toddler. It is in Alajuela (La Garita, rather) near the airport, and is a bird zoo and rehab facility. Lots of other animals there as well. Iguanas and peacocks cruising free all over the place.

Isabelle also enjoys hiking with us on easy trails (easier for us as well) like those at Manuel Antonio (inside the park). We've had her at Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, San Gerardo de Dota (Savegre), Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo, Playa Flamingo, pretty much all over the place. She would have enjoyed the slow boat ride down the Sarapiqui River over at Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, but we didn't get there with her. Maybe this year.

Wherever you go (just choose what appeals to you), there will be plenty for the 3 of you to enjoy together. Costa Rica is very kid friendly and they love children. Plus, you get to go to the front of the line for nationals when you arrive for faster "processing". It's great!

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention. There is a little private park on the road to Poas/La Paz. It is in the town of Fraijanes and it is called Bosques de Fraijanes. There is playground equipment, ducks and geese and chickens running around, horses, etc. Plus some nice walking trails and overlook to a gorgeous valley. Frequently school children from the surrounding area are here for field trips. We were lucky and Isabelle loved seeing the kids and they enjoyed playing with her. She liked walking on the short suspension bridge. Fun little place. Good restaurants in the area like Chubasco's and Dona Julia's. Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Shillmac/others,
We're heading to CR in June with our 6 month old and some friends with an 11 month old. We're staying in Casa Margarita in Potrero after 4 days at our friend's house in Nicaragua. The house in Nicaragua is pretty remote so we'll do lots of pool/beach relaxing there and be ready for some activity once we reach CR. We'll probably want to take the kids to the Monkey Park and maybe on some easy hikes in the baby bjorn. Any suggestions? We're all pretty laid back about naps and eating schedules but don't want to get stuck somewhere they'll be miserable. Would you suggest Rincon with or without the babies?

Also, we'll probably trade off babysitting so we can each do some grown-up activities. We love kayaking, wildlife, and hiking. Any favorites for things in the area?
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Wow! Dos bebes! The Nicaragua part sounds a little sketchy to me, but maybe that's just me not having visited Nica before? I know there's some "animosity" there, but my Costa Rican friends don't have a high opinion of the Nicas, and the word that keeps coming up is "agressive". I'm sure that's due in part to their experience with illegal Nicas that are in Costa Rica and probably not fair at all. I spoke with a couple once who loved the people of Nicaragua just as much as I am fond of Costa Ricans, so hey--it's probably just me.

We've traveled Costa Rica with our granddaughter now for going on the 3rd year. She was 6 months the first time. We'd already visited the country many times and were very comfortable having her there, with the water, sanitation, all those things you think about with babies. And for us, we didn't aim for activity with her along, just easy relaxing time, keeping her pretty much on her schedule for napping, etc. Our daughter is something of a stickler for that! Your way works as well, I think, and was more the way we raised our kids, actually!

Potrero is a good area, but I'm not familiar with where you are staying. I am familiar with a couple of other places, such as Bahia del Sol, across from El Castillo bakery.

So I don't know that I can advise you as we didn't "try" the active vacation with a baby. That said, I babysat in Monteverde and took short walks while my husband and daughter did Skytrek, so my tendency is to advise that option since you'll be able to take turns. We DID do a lot of moving around with her--all over the place from San Jose to Monteverde to Puerto Viejo to Turrialba to Puriscal to Montezuma to Flamingo/Potrero back to San Jose! She's been around. But once we "landed" here and there, we just chilled.

Rincon is a nice area. If you can go to one of the hotels, like Borinquen, and use it as a base, you could enjoy some hiking probably. I think you'll want to make sure you have someplace air-conditioned closeby and shaded--with food prep facilities. Costa Ricans love babies, so you should get tons of cooperation and smiles.

You might also be interested in the Mega Combo full day tour into Rincon, but would need to take turns on different days for that one.

Monkey Park is about 30-40 min. from Potrero. Take the only paved road there south to Huacas and turn left. Driving on that road, you'll soon come to Monkey Park on your left. It would make a nice short outing for all of you.

The dirt roads of Potrero are a little rough for strolling, but certainly that's do-able. It just won't be real smooth! If you can get a daypass into Flamingo Beach Resort (shouldn't be a problem in June with not many people there) the kiddie pool and even the huge pool might be fun. Also the swim up bar for the adults. Hey--maybe I'll see you there! Will be there June 22-25. I'll look for 2 babies! We'll have our 2.5 year old granddaughter with us again. She's almost a certified "tica"! Loves gallo pinto!

I know I may not have been very helpful, told you things you already knew! Another thing you might want to do is the Palo Verde tour. Again, I think the babies should probably stay home, but someone else might speak to that as we haven't done that tour. We really should one of these days. We're always in that area at least a few days. Perhaps this year. . .

Marco Polo is Potrero is an okay restaurant. Camaron Dorado on the beach in Playa Brasilito (up the road about 10 min) is excellent and romantic. You could have fun there.

When will you be in Potrero/Flamingo area?
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I've heard the same about Nica, even from our friends with the house! Her parents are big surfers and have had the house up there for years so they're basically arranging everything for us like drivers, groceries, etc. It's in a gated community near Rivas--I'll let you know how it goes.

We've all been to CR before so we opted for a house instead of a hotel. Casa Margarita is somewhere near Flamingo/Portero. We wanted to spread out and have our own pool for the kiddos. It would be hard to do a a hotel since the baby schedules will be slightly different because of their ages. We'll actually be there June 20-25 so we may see you! Love those green season rates!

Thank you for the info--that is exactly the kind of advice that I was looking for. We'll each claim a day for an adult activity and then do the monkey park with everyone.

I've heard good things about Restaurante Cameron Dorado and Marie's in Flamingo. We can't get enough gallo pinto and seafood so are there good places for lunch with the kids? (we'll trade off babysitting after they go to bed at 7:30) Do they have highchairs at most restaurants? Other recs on this site are Stella's and Ginger in Hermosa. What's the atmosphere like at those? Adults-only or baby-friendly?
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Stella's in Tamarindo was SO slow when we ate there 4 years ago. Haven't eaten at the one in Flamingo, but it MIGHT be okay (not ideal) for babies. The slowness (if that's the case) wouldn't be convenient.

Ginger seemed to me more of an adult hangout. But I think you certainly could take babies in. It was a great place to eat and you shouldn't miss it.

We'll be at Flamingo Beach Resort the same time you are in Potrero. Look us up! If you'd like more info, you can e-mail

[email protected]

You'll like Potrero, although it was MUCH more appealing when it was just a little country beach town. The influx of ex-pats and condos has detracted in my opinion. Nothing is ever the same. Glad I got to see it then! I noticed last year that instead of friendly waving Ticos as I drove throught that area, there were lots of SUV's with stressed out looking Americans in them! Sucking the Pura Vida right out of the area!