CR July or August?

Sep 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

CR July or August?

Given that both July and August are the rainy season, for those who have travelled during those months, would there be any advantage to picking one over the other? I have read that July us usually a mini-dry season, but that last July was the wettest on record! It looks like we could go in either the first week of July or in the first week of August. www.costa-rica-guide.com says the mini-dry season is more towards the end of July, beginning of August, so maybe the first week of August would be the better time to visit?

Also, if we do end up fitting in Tortuguero, the beginning of August may be slightly better for the nesting season, wouldn't it?

Even though it's all so far away, I'm anxious to do some booking!

Thanks!
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
fae

We have been 3 times to the Osa - all the last week in July or the first week in August during the "mini dry season". Rain has never been a problem - only occasional showers but nothing lenghthy.
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Both July and August are nice times to visit Costa Rica for a couple of reasons. The rain does come and green up the whole country, even Guanacaste which often is pretty dry and brown from December through April.

In general you will still have sunny days and especially sunny mornings throughout the rainy season. Usually by about 3-5pm there will be a heavy shower but that makes things interesting.
Also if you plan to go to the Arenal Volcano the best months are between August and November because the rain knocks down lots of the clouds.

here is some information about the Tortuguero National Park and nesting seasons for the different types of turtles.

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/nat...tortuguero.htm
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM

We went last year in July and got showers every day but just in the afternoons. We went to the Osa this July and didn't get any rain at all - we felt really lucky! I wouldn't hesitate to go in July again.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:58 AM

We spent 8 days in CR the first part of this past Aug and had no complaints (except none of those great sunsets). Rained everyday from about 2 or 3 to 6, but mornings and early afternoons were beautiful. We just planned outdoor activities for mornings and afternoons for exploring, shopping, relaxing, spas, pool bars, etc. And the rains cooled things off very nicely - really limited need for AC.
Also made outside dining in the evening very pleasant.
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
dfo

What about the heat and humidity?? We had friends go last summer and said it was the worst they had ever experienced and they are from New Orleans!!
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM

dfo, it depends upon which area you're visiting. We found Manuel Antonio to be almost unbearably hot and humid in July (we're from Houston, so that's saying something!), but other areas like Arenal and the Peace Lodge were very comfortable and even cool at night.
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
dfo

volcanogirl,
Thanks for your reply and being from Houston you know heat and humidity! Our destinations are; San Jose, Tortuguero, Tilajari, Arenal Volcano/NationalPark/Lake, Liberia, and Papagayo. You mentioned the Arenal area was pleasant, any comments on the other areas? Thanks for your help from a fellow Texan!
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Are you staying at Tilajari Resort? We were there a few years ago and really liked it. Very peaceful. At that time, it was listed as one of the top small hotels in the country. A bit off the beaten path, but that's the idea. . .

Loved Tortuguero--would do it again in a heartbeat. July-October best time to go as the turtle watching is a huge highlight.

Liberia/Papagayo area very nice. Regret so much development! Yuk! Try to get a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja for ziplines, waterslide, horseback, mud baths, hiking, etc. Tropical dry forest, but very lush and beautiful particularly in the green season.
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM

dfo, in our experience, the places along the coast can get pretty hot and humid, and the central valley is warm during the day and cools off pretty nicely in the evening. We wore long sleeves at night in Arenal and at the Peace Lodge, but in MA and the Osa, it was pretty warm. I've been looking into Tortuguero, and it looks pretty hot and humid as well, but we haven't had a chance to go there yet. I hope you have a great trip!
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM

Well, guess I've got a contrarian view. We spent a week in MA during the first part of Aug last year and didn't find it particularly uncomfortable at all. Temp was in the low 80s during the day and there was always a breeze. Did rain every afternoon, which tended to cool things off. Probably used the AC in our room less than half the time. We're also from Houston and thought it was much more pleasant than home. Maybe temps were lower than volcanogirl's experience.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM

We've noticed a little humidity of course during our times in Manuel Antonio (always July), but nothing unbearable or miserable.

Tortuguero in July--same thing. Not unpleasant at all. My husband is way more sensitive to that than I and he found it quite tolerable.

It's been a few years since I was in Houston, but I can remember horrible humidity a time or two in McAllen, Texas. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere in Costa Rica--or Panama!
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM

Wow, low 80s sounds nice; we were in the 90s with no breeze and walking everywhere on that cement road; my husband and I ran our ac all the time there. We were so grateful when it would rain and cool things off. It's the only spot in CR that I've felt that way. We were joking that we couldn't wait to get back to Houston to cool off.

In the Osa, we had 80s, but there was always a breeze. Everywhere else has been quite nice.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM

When we were in Costa Rica, our guide told us that he thought August was one of the best times to visit. Since he has lived there all his life, I think that's a great recommendation!
Mar 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM

I visited CR last August. Although it was very humid, the days were beautiful and it only rained at night. When I say beautiful weather, I mean we got gorgeous clear views of Arenal, and poas. But I am told this was a rare exception to the rule, and that we were very lucky.

Search this Thread