Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Advantages/Disadv Feb vs July Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like some feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of going to Costa Rica in February or July. Also, how soon should I be making reservations for 2009? I understand that July is off season so prices may be somewhat more reasonable but am concerned about the weather. Anticipate a trip that would include San Jose to Arenal (Arenal Observatory Lodge) then to Manuel Antonio (Laposada). Would be renting a car and staying about 10 days. Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM

In a normal year July is perfectly manageable. You'll have rain for an hour or two in the afternoon, but you make plans to be inside. The wild card that you can't predict for is that if there's a hurricane or tropical storm in the western Caribbean, you'll get a lot more rain. July usually isn't yet the height of hurricane season, so I'd go for it. With North Americans and Europeans having their vacation time in July and August, Costa Rica sees a lot more visitors in those months than it used to. It's still officially "low season," but a lot of places are charging slightly higher rates than they would in May, September, October or November.

February will be hot and dry in a normal year. Prices will be more expensive too.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Because we are both teachers, July has been our travel month to Costa Rica since 2001. Every year, usually the entire month--and into half of August this year. We have had GREAT luck with weather--all over the country. So I'd say your chances are very good, even though, as Jeff points out, an unusual weather event could make increase the rainfall.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM

We were in Costa Rica from July 12th-26th, and it rained heavily 7 out of 10 days if not more. Many "days" it stormed at night, and either lightly showered or didn't rain during the day at all, so therefore didn't disrupt our activities. That was primarily at Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio. But when it stormed it stormed hard, and we even lost power at MA. It rained almost all day, every day, while we were in both Arenal and Monteverde, and I don't mean a light afternoon shower. I mean heavy rain.

I understand this year might have been a bit unusual, and it might have had a bit to do with our locations, but we were honestly quite surprised.

We still had an absolutely amazing time, and July was right for us because it was the kids' summer vacation, but we did spend an awful lot of time in those ponchos!

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM

We always go in July; I like it because things are lush and green, and you can get some good deals on pricing. In the Osa, we didn't get any rain at all, which really surprised me. We got rain in Monteverde, Arenal, and MA, but nothing that hampered our plans. We did things early in the day, and the rain usually came in the afternoons. We kind of enjoy the rain and find it relaxing, so it wasn't a problem for us. I hope you get great weather.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM

We were there from 7/31 - 8/10 and it rained a lot as compared to last year when we were there in early May. We had two days of rain all day long into the night. And we had heavy, heavy storms with lightening, thunder and heavy winds. The kind of storms that even the employees at the restaurant we were at said they don't often see. If we go back, it won't be in July or August. Honestly, we spend too much money on a vacation like that to have to be soaked and have plans hampered due to the rain. I'm not saying we had a bad time, but I know we would have had a much better time if it wasn't so wet!

I'm still working on finding time to start my trip report!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM

In a nutshell:

July - sunny mornings; rain in pm
- fewer tourists
- lower lodging rates (often significantly lower)
- many tours/excursions operate only in am

Feb - warmer and drier
- higher lodging rates
- more crowded
- full schedules on tours
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Was there in July 2008 drove all over everywhere it rained was particularly bad Arenal MA and Caribbean side.Saw the sun a fair number of mornings but
it clouded over almost always by 12
noon.

Nicoya in July was the best in terms of weather the further out in the pacific the better.

For me Feb is always better weatherwise so if you have a choice pay a little more and go in Feb and put up with a few more people.